501     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 620     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't be surprising if Krista Ford is one day elected to council. Rob Ford is there due to the name recognition and networks of his father. Doug Ford is there because he's the brother of Rob Ford. Adam Vaughan is the son of a former councilor. David Shiner's mother was a prominent North York councilor. Josh Colle's father is a former councilor now MPP. Michelle Berardinetti's husband is a former councilor now MPP. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Colle and Berardinetti are somehow related by marriage. Maria Augemeri's much older husband was a MPP when she was first elected. Frances Nunziata's brother was a councilor. Those are only the ones I know about, because the connections are obvious. Family gets the decision making posts,

Dont forget Michael Layton

Did anyone catch that Doug wants his daughter to run? Yes - the "lingerie football" daughter with no demonstrable political inclination nor experience? Also, with the same amount of non-experience, his wife?

"Doug Ford has mused privately about having his daughter Krista, a college student, fitness buff and former Lingerie Football League player, run to replace him at council. The family and its advisers have also talked about Doug’s wife Karla, a competitive adult cheerleader, running for office."
From the Toronto Star.

Well, if Le Pen's granddaughter has a chance in today's French legislatives, who knows

957793-1132498.jpg

Yes, Michael Layton. I knew I must have missed someone. He's the one that started me thinking about lines of succession at City Hall. From my perspective he's proved a good councilor, but he used his name and father's reputation to defeat a progressive, but perhaps more balanced, candidate who also had a lot of potential, and who would have been a better fit for NDP ideals than the leader's son.

Global: Ford brothers fall short of weight-loss goal as 'Cut the Waist' challenge ends

Mayor Rob Ford, and his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, set a goal of losing 50 pounds each in five months. Councillor Doug Ford lost a total of 35 pounds, almost double that of the 17 pounds lost by Mayor Ford.

"I didn't even try that hard," said Councillor Ford as he explained to the media gallery that he went to a buffet with his family on Sunday night.

Despite the official challenge being over, both Ford brothers are claiming they will continue their diet until they reach their goal of 50 pounds each.

"I have another 20 pounds to go," said Councillor Doug Ford, "I'm not going to stop."

"I could have done better," Mayor Rob Ford said in a brief press conference after the weigh-in.

Mayor Rob Ford, and his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, set a goal of losing 50 pounds each in five months. Councillor Doug Ford lost a total of 35 pounds, almost double that of the 17 pounds lost by Mayor Ford.

"I didn't even try that hard," said Councillor Ford as he explained to the media gallery that he went to a buffet with his family on Sunday night.

Despite the official challenge being over, both Ford brothers are claiming they will continue their diet until they reach their goal of 50 pounds each.

"I have another 20 pounds to go," said Councillor Doug Ford, "I'm not going to stop."

the typical Frod math:

goal 50 - actual loss 35 = remaining 20

NDP MP Olivia Chow resisting calls to run against Toronto Mayor Rob Ford in 2014

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhal...n-against-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-in-2014?bn=1

David Rider
Urban Affairs Bureau Chief

Political advisers to NDP MP Olivia Chow are urging her to run against Mayor Rob Ford in 2014 but, so far at least, she is ruling out a return to municipal politics.

Joe Cressy, a close family friend and Chow’s campaign co-chair in the 2011 federal election, is among those asking Chow to consider it.

“I’ve thought for many years that Olivia would be a very strong mayor,” he said in an interview Wednesday. “She has broad appeal across the city, in the suburbs and downtown, she has experience at multiple levels of government, she knows how to bring people together and drive policy, but she’s also a very strong campaigner.

“It’s clear that Ford isn’t up to the job. I believe it’s time for an adult to be in charge.”

Cressy said he raised the issue last week with Chow. The Trinity-Spadina MP, former Toronto councillor and stepmother of Councillor Mike Layton, said “No.”

In an email to the Star from Ottawa, she wrote: “No I am not running for mayor. My focus is in Ottawa where I’m standing up to (Prime Minister) Stephen Harper and trying to get more of our tax dollar back to the city for transit and infrastructure projects.”

Left-leaning Toronto councillors Adam Vaughan and Shelley Carroll are both seriously considering taking on the staunchly right-wing Ford.

Some associates of radio host and former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader John Tory are urging him to run. Tory, who lost to David Miller in the 2003 mayoral election and considered running in 2010, is neither encouraging them nor closing the door.

Carroll said she would be happy to chat with any other progressive potential candidates, and she doesn’t buy the theory that having more than one candidate from the left will split the vote and hand Ford another victory.

Cressy, however, suggested the left may settle on one, best candidate.

“Given the experience of a Rob Ford city, it’s unlikely in my mind that there will be more than one progressive on the slate,” he said.

Layton has heard about the pressure on his stepmother to run but said, “the only advice I could give her is we’ve both got lots to focus on in 2013.”

Jack Layton, his father and Chow’s late partner, was a longtime Toronto councillor and mayoral candidate in 1991.

The most frightening part of that article is the implication that we may have another endless round of "John Tory: is he or isn't he running for Mayor?"

When the NDP get their chance to govern it's going to be pretty interesting to see what that does to urban Canada. I'm not even sure if it matters who the next mayor is because the NDP on its own could help reverse the level of damage Ford has inflicted and at least get us back towards the track that Miller set us on.

I've been thinking Olivia Chow since it became clear that Ford was going to win. I think she would trounce him head to head. if a progressive that has little chance of winning outside the core (read: Adam Vaughan) is the left's candidate, I'd be happy to vote for John Tory should he run. I can't risk having Ford as Mayor 8 years.

I can't risk having Ford as Mayor 8 years.

It won't be too bad if a strong slate of councillors are elected and reelected to oppose him or guide him down a moderate path. Unlike some American cities, the mayor has much less influence- which has proven to be beneficial in these sorts of circumstances.

Crazy idea. She only just vested in the MP pension plan, it would be worth peanuts if she left now. If she wins one more election and serves until 2018 she'll qualify for about $100,000 per year for life. Being an MP is winning the lottery, mayor not so much.

Crazy idea. She only just vested in the MP pension plan, it would be worth peanuts if she left now. If she wins one more election and serves until 2018 she'll qualify for about $100,000 per year for life. Being an MP is winning the lottery, mayor not so much.

Does it have to be consecutive years? She can return to federal politics once she's done being Mayor. Being Mayor of her city would be a nice feather in her cap and an opportunity to affect change directly. She's still young and won't need to retire for quite some time.

I'm still hoping for John Tory because I can see both Conservatives and moderates voting for him. Any reasonable candidate that can kick Ford out of City Hall is an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back