501     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 620     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have to be consecutive years? She can return to federal politics once she's done being Mayor. Being Mayor of her city would be a nice feather in her cap and an opportunity to affect change directly. She's still young and won't need to retire for quite some time.

I'm still hoping for John Tory because I can see both Conservatives and moderates voting for him. Any reasonable candidate that can kick Ford out of City Hall is an improvement.

Not consecutive, but once you're out of the House it is a bit harder to get back in. And she's in her late 50s I think. Does City Council have a pension plan at all? I hope she set RRSP money aside. She doesn't seem to be rich, after all.

Oh, but I forgot she is already getting an MP pension - the survivor benefit after the death of her MP husband. That is worth about $35,000 a year (Jack was only in the house for a few years). If she retired now and claimed her own pension she'd have about $65,000 a year. Not huge, but higher than the average Canadian family.

The idea of handing out "Keys to the City" is small town cheese. To be fair, the honour is going to the founder of McDonald's Canada, but it adds to the "Mayor McCheese" label Ford's been given.

Best comment was "Notice Cohon didn't give Ford the keys to McDonalds". :)
Despite the product sold, McDonald's has also done a ton of charity work, and Cohon has received a number of other awards. Of course, the fun is that Ford chose to give the honour -- he just sets himself up and almost makes it too easy, doesn't he?

Globe and Mail: Mayor Ford confirms he won’t attend Pride flag-raising

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has confirmed he won’t attend the official flag-raising to mark the start of Pride Week Monday.

“No, I won’t be able to [attend],†he said. “I’ve already committed to something.â€

The mayor’s office did not immediately reply to messages asking where Mr. Ford would be Monday.

The city’s communications department issued a news release shortly after the mayor’s comments saying Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam would represent the municipal government at the Pride kick-off event.

In his first media scrum since the finale of his weight-loss challenge last Monday, Mr. Ford also told reporters that he would reluctantly support the first city-wide increase to on-street parking fees since 2007.

“Nobody’s happy about it, but I think it’s reasonable,†the mayor said of the Toronto Parking Authority’s request to raise parking meter rates by 25 to 50 cents per hour, depending on location.

The move is expected to rake in an additional $4-million per year.

Asked if he would vote in favour of the proposal, the mayor said: “Yeah, I think we’re going to have to. Prices go up over six years. We haven’t had an increase in parking. Fifty cents, that’s minimal, so ...,†he said before trailing off.

The mayor said he would also back a plan to allow street food vendors to expand their offerings beyond hot dogs.

Fords discuss Canada Day parade on radio show.

“We should be as patriotic as anything,” said Councillor Ford. “We should be having a Canada Day parade. We should have the troops going down with us waving the flags,” he said.

Mayor Ford piped in. “I couldn’t agree with you more.”

His brother pledged back, “Next year, let’s make it happen.”

Nunziata agreed. “We are all proud to be Canadian and we should celebrate and have a parade.”

If a July 1 parade is planned the Fords might have to alter an annual tradition.

Mayor Ford did not attend last year’s Pride parade and has said he will miss this year’s celebration because it conflicts with annual Canada Day celebrations at his family cottage.

Meanwhile, the Fords were absent at the Pride Week flag raising.

Kristyn Wong-Tam, the city’s only openly gay councillor, hosted the noon-hour event, which drew more than 25 other councillors, including Ford allies Doug Holyday, Michael Thompson, Peter Milczyn, Paul Ainslie and Frances Nunziata.

The mayor’s brother, Councillor Doug Ford, was not among them.

Councillor Shelley Carroll read the official Pride Week proclamation on behalf of the mayor.

When Ms. Carroll, a potential candidate for mayor in 2014, mentioned Mr. Ford’s name, the colourfully dressed crowd packed onto City Hall’s green roof laughed and booed.

Last edited:
If the Ford brothers want to create a counter parade of their own, start first by going to the CHIN picnic being held at Exhibition Place. Also being held during the Canada Day weekend.

Maybe in a few years, it could then have a parade ending inside the CHIN picnic. Maybe start at Fort York and marching to the Exhibition's Bandshell. Rob can lead it and get some walking exercise at the same time. Just follow the smell of the food.

Last edited:
Doesn't the city of Toronto already organize Canada Day events? Mel Lastman Square, East York Parade....

I suppose the Fords would have already known that if they actually spent a Canada Day weekend in the city.

Fords discuss Canada Day parade on radio show.

Meanwhile, the Fords were absent at the Pride Week flag raising.

It seems to me that the Fords (namely, the Mayor) now feels so emboldened by getting off easy by not attending any Pride events that the two are now wiping non-homophobes faces in it with this Canada Day Parade idea. Ford's thought process: I got away without attending any Pride events for two years now using my concoction of lies, now let's counter their festivities with an event that the wholesome taxpayer would enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back