824     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 737     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 567     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I messaged two of the people who liked Jaclyn Dawes' profile picture. Both profiles seemed very real. They both independently confirmed that she is alive and well.

That's great news. Why did she take off to Thailand? You don't leave your car parked on a random side street and then just decide to go to Thailand. I bet she knows or saw something at Lisi's buddies place.

really? out of everything that stands out for you? Ford may be acting like a bully, but Barber was unprofessional to call him a fat fuck. and some would say Barber is the bully by fat-shaming. He should have said right away "you're right, I'm sorry I said that because I was frustrated by you changing your answer, etc..." and then he could go back to challenging him on the original issue.

I get that Ford is contemptible and all that, but you don't get to call him names in a professional capacity. Daniel Dale never (publicly) called Ford a fat fuck (and god knows he had reason to).

Yes, it does stand out for me, because there are many different ways to react to someone else's unprofessional or offensive behaviour, and smiling with delight and pleasure at the chance to taunt and chase them is at least as disgraceful as the original insult. I wouldn't have been shocked if it had made him angrier. I wouldn't have been shocked if he had coldly withdrawn and let Barber know that he would be complaining to his editor. I was shocked because of the way he switched into menacing mode and clearly felt he knew it was his strong suit.

I did not intend my comments as an endorsement of being rude to or "bullying" Ford. In fact the time he talked about how all the other councillors were mean to him and only Jack Layton was nice and tried to help him understand how council worked is one of the things that made me want to give him the benefit of the doubt about his own personality issues.

Last edited:
I messaged two of the people who liked Jaclyn Dawes' profile picture. Both profiles seemed very real. They both independently confirmed that she is alive and well.

While that's good news, I just hope y'all haven't scared her into thinking she's gonna be found by bad folks. Or anyone really. I know I'd be anxious after knowing randoms asked about me. Lol

Neither of the Dr. Blanks noted here is licensed to practice medicine in Ontario (see CPSO) and so neither could lawfully write prescriptions. From the descriptions they both call themselves Dr. on the basis of being psychologists (indeed anyone with a PhD in any subject can call him/herself Dr.- altho' that rarely is done in Canada except by psychologists who work as therapists and can benefit from being equated with "real" (medical) doctors (physicians)).

Apparently even when Ford's away, his staff continue his "good" work:

marc coward @YYZMarc · 10h
There is very little in life more disturbing than the thought of Rob Ford's minions looking at pictures of your children.

Thank you to the many who brought this account to my attention. I'll just say this: Enjoy it while it lasts.

I just hope no taxpayer resources were used to attack me and my family, because that wouldn't be very respectful to them, would it?

Subtle, Graeme, subtle.

If you tell Graeme in Ford's office to fuck off, he'll wait a whole 48 hours before slandering you and your family from a parody account.

Private companies can do whatever they want with their vehicles (assuming they can get insurance). There will, however, be tax consequences for the individual and the company.

Yes, but the tax questions just determine whether Deco can deduct the lease payments and whether Rob is taxed on the benefit of having use. So long as Deco is solvent deductibility or not by Deco is only a concern of its owners (the family - hence, perhaps, Doug's notion that the car was a gift to Rob)! and for Rob paying tax on the benefit is less expensive than leasing the car himself would be. (In other words, the tax issue tells us nothing of interest.)

Yes, but the tax questions just determine whether Deco can deduct the lease payments and whether Rob is taxed on the benefit of having use. So long as Deco is solvent deductibility or not by Deco is only a concern of its owners (the family - hence, perhaps, Doug's notion that the car was a gift to Rob)! and for Rob paying tax on the benefit is less expensive than leasing the car himself would be. (In other words, the tax issue tells us nothing of interest.)

We're saying the same thing. I was responding to the idea that the arrangement was somehow "illegal", which it is not (assuming all the paperwork is filed properly - i.e., if 90% of the use is personal then 90% of the cost is taxable income for Ford).

Apparently even when Ford's away, his staff continue his "good" work:

There is very little in life more disturbing than the thought of Rob Ford's minions looking at pictures of your children.

Thank you to the many who brought this account to my attention. I'll just say this: Enjoy it while it lasts.

I just hope no taxpayer resources were used to attack me and my family, because that wouldn't be very respectful to them, would it?

Subtle, Graeme, subtle.

If you tell Graeme in Ford's office to fuck off, he'll wait a whole 48 hours before slandering you and your family from a parody account.

What was the name of the account from which the attacks came?

We're saying the same thing. I was responding to the idea that the arrangement was somehow "illegal", which it is not (assuming all the paperwork is filed properly - i.e., if 90% of the use is personal then 90% of the cost is taxable income for Ford).

The question actually asked was about the propriety of Ford being given the use of a car leased by Deco, not about the car or it's cost. Whether or not Deco or Ford cheats on taxes is irrelevant to whether or not Deco can lease the car and allow Ford to use it. (My point was that the tax position says nothing of interest on the question actually asked.)

Last edited:
The question actually asked was about the propriety of Ford being given the use of a car leased by Deco, not about the car or it's cost. Whether or not Deco or Ford cheats on taxes is irrelevant to whether or not Deco can lease the car and allow Ford to use it. (My point was that the tax position says nothing of interest on the question actually asked.)

Except the two things are kinda related. Any business can lease a car and use it however they want... But leasing by businesses is usually done for the greater (not as much any more) tax benefit v. purchasing. And if Rob's Escalade's lease is being written off against Deco's taxes, at all, CRA really should have a look at that.

CRA could look at it, but RoFo has a taxable benefit for the non-Deco (personal) use of the car. If he pays tax on that, then CRA won't care - the Deco deduction (at a lower rate than RoFo's personal tax rate) will be offset by RoFo's income inclusion, and a similar amount of tax will be collected.

As others have mentioned, this sort of thing is very common within family-owned companies, especially where some family member are being taken care of by the family who actually work at the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back