120     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 969     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 881     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you just described me. The belief that women, as a group, need to take to their fainting couch in the face of such language, is sexist. Personally, I could put a sailor on shore leave to shame, and often must edit myself professionally and socially, depending on the audience. I'm able to do so, when needed. But is it that necessary here? We're all adults. I can't imagine that many children reading this thread.

Agreed and I swear in front of my kids. I'ld rather them learn time and place for it (our rule is not at school/work and not directed towards a person in anger but swearing generally in anger is fine). Swear words don't offend me, statements that make assumptions that women are weaker and less able to handle language than men however do (however casita, I do understand where you are coming from and am not trying to attack you with this post, different generations have different expectations, just needed to point it out).

Also off topic, but whenever I read pud on this forum, it makes me think of this:
[video=youtube;9Zn1EcvziA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zn1EcvziA0[/video]

Last edited:
Or at the ACC...

Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 9.38.41 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 9.38.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 9.38.41 PM.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 707
Just not true in my experience. It is easy to underestimate how different our lives can be from each other, even at the same age.

I'm in Ford's age group. I've had a home computer since 1993. I've had internet access since 1996. Operating systems were much less intuitive back then, and there weren't a ton of computer knowledgeable people to run to for help. So, you learned to fix issues yourself, by trial and error, or by looking up solutions online. Many, many people in my age group know their way around computers, and I suspect for the same reason I do - if you wanted to use them, there weren't many other options other than to be self taught. My university aged daughter, who is a TA, tells me that there is a shocking number of younger people who do not know (or will not look for) solutions to computer issues. Unless you have some sort of learning disability, there's no excuse for it, other than laziness, or lack of intellectual curiosity. Or, maybe they have tons of money to pay the largely ineffectual "Geek Squad" to "fix" things, every time they run into a problem.

Agreed and I swear in front of my kids. I'ld rather them learn time and place for it (our rule is not at school/work and not directed towards a person in anger but swearing generally in anger is fine). Swear words don't offend me, statements that make assumptions that women are weaker and less able to handle language than men however do (however casita, I do understand where you are coming from and am not trying to attack you with this post, different generations have different expectations, just needed to point it out).

I raised my daughter the same way, and you are my hero

Re swearing - supposedly it's taboo on UT (although I've seen and probably done it a few times). My kids know when it's appropriate (not at school but when someone almost runs over you at a stop sign etc)...

I'm in Ford's age group. I've had a home computer since 1993. I've had internet access since 1996. Operating systems were much less intuitive back then, and there weren't a ton of computer knowledgeable people to run to for help. So, you learned to fix issues yourself, by trial and error, or by looking up solutions online. Many, many people in my age group know their way around computers, and I suspect for the same reason I do - if you wanted to use them, there weren't many other options other than to be self taught. My university aged daughter, who is a TA, tells me that there is a shocking number of younger people who do not know (or will not look for) solutions to computer issues. Unless you have some sort of learning disability, there's no excuse for it, other than laziness, or lack of intellectual curiosity. Or, maybe they have tons of money to pay the largely ineffectual "Geek Squad" to "fix" things, every time they run into a problem.

My personal experience with computers is very similar to yours (I am also close to Ford's age), but I have spent a lot of time with other folks (of all ages, including ours) who have a very different experience and are both indifferent and somewhat illiterate when it comes to computers. That was my point. It is entirely possible that Ford's lack of Internet History is due to lack of use. It's about the only thing Doug has said recently that I can even pretend to believe.

OT, but I remember programming my first basic "program" on a TRS80 at the local Radio Shack. Nostalgia!

Last edited:
This is an interesting talk on the neuro-cognitive effect of swearing. It starts mainly at 3min.
Swearing is involuntary, and associated with negative emotion. It can be used to trigger negative emotions in the listener.
[video=youtube;1BcdY_wSklo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BcdY_wSklo#t=266[/video]
Here is a study of women in ill health who swore.

Swearing Can Distance People When You Need Them the Most
December 8, 2011 • A GoodTherapy.org News Summary

Robbins chose women with breast cancer (BC) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for her study. Snippets of the women’s verbal utterances were recorded using a daily electronic recorder. Additionally, the women recorded how much emotional support and depression they experienced throughout each day. Robbins found that contrary to previous studies, swearing was not beneficial for the women in her study. “These results suggest that spontaneous swearing in daily life can in certain contexts (a) undermine psychological adjustment and (b) potentially affect emotional support in the coping process,†said Robbins. “These findings are consistent with past self-report research showing that swearing has the potential to repel social support, particularly among females, and that undermined social support can increase the risk of depression.â€
We are all different of course.Having grown up with a parent who swore a lot, I, for one, am very glad that it is a polite forum here.

My personal experience with computers is very similar to yours (I am also close to Ford's age), but I have spent a lot of time with other folks (of all ages, including ours) who have a very different experience and are both indifferent and somewhat illiterate when it comes to computers. That was my point. It is entirely possible that Ford's lack of Internet History is due to lack of use. It's about the only thing Doug has said recently that I can even pretend to believe.

OT, but I remember programming my first basic "program" on a TS80 at the local Radio Shack. Nostalgia!

I would guess that in the Ford's case, it boils down to lack of intellectual curiosity. They almost seems to pride themselves on not having knowledge of some things.

ParkdalePetunia said:
(however casita, I do understand where you are coming from and am not trying to attack you with this post, different generations have different expectations, just needed to point it out).

Thank-you, Petunia. I knew that. I think I have a fairly colorful vocabulary and few limits on when I use it around men.

The only reason I try to avoid it around women that I don't know is because I am concerned it may cause offence. You have to get to know her and what she will tolerate first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back