891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is consistent with Rob being marginally literate. We know he doesn't read or prepare much if at all and can only speak from notes written in big type with lots of boldface. People who can't read or have a learning disability find jobs where they can talk a lot - like sales careers. Rob's principal work tool is his phone. Has anyone ever seen him use it to text?

I've worked with people with literacy and learning issues for many years. They actually adapt to computers really well, so I'm not buying that as an excuse for Rob. The man is in his 40s, I'm older than that and have been using computers for a long time. They aren't a novelty. There is no valid reason why he would not have logged in at least occasionally over a period of months.

From Sun News Network

Sorry Doug. He's the freaking mayor. Mayors get emails and need to respond. Work is done on computers, it being the modern age and all. Executives don't get to choose to not be "into" computers. They're not toys. So I guess you're telling me Rob doesn't actually do any work.

I spent close to a decade as a high-level executive assistant in the Canadian banking system. Trust me, I had a boss who called me into their office if they accidentally closed their email window. They had no idea how to restart it without assistance. This same boss would get several hundred emails a day, of which I passed on the 12 or so important ones as a printout, and would respond to the email by transcribing the written notes. Executives do get to choose not to be "into" computers it they so desire. Scary I know.

From Sun News Network

Sorry Doug. He's the freaking mayor. Mayors get emails and need to respond. Work is done on computers, it being the modern age and all. Executives don't get to choose to not be "into" computers. They're not toys. So I guess you're telling me Rob doesn't actually do any work.

A final thought on this: It may be a form of arrogance. There was an extremely famous commercial insolvency lawyer in New York in the 80s and 90s who had two secretaries (as they then were called) but no business card. Whenever that was remarked upon (which was quite often), his attitude was that anyone who did not know who he was did not deserve his attention or services. (OT from this point forward, but, interestingly, he ended up being pushed out of his firm, with a few million dollars to tide him over, when a very important client was so irritated by his self-regarded that they made a "him or us" ultimatum, at which point he left the practice of law and, last that I heard, entered rabbinical school.)

Last edited:
I spent close to a decade as a high-level executive assistant in the Canadian banking system. Trust me, I had a boss who called me into their office if they accidentally closed their email window. They had no idea how to restart it without assistance. This same boss would get several hundred emails a day, of which I passed on the 12 or so important ones as a printout, and would respond to the email by transcribing the written notes. Executives do get to choose not to be "into" computers it they so desire. Scary I know.
But at least it was open! From the way Doug describes it, Rob doesn't even turn the thing on. Of course, Doug has been known to not tell the truth in the past.

Rob knows how to use whatever system it is in council chambers when he takes Nunziata's spot, so I think he CAN fumble his way around. He probably doesn't use it much, which wouldn't surprise me, but the fact there there was ZERO activity for such a long period of time is what is really suspect.

I've worked with people with literacy and learning issues for many years. They actually adapt to computers really well, so I'm not buying that as an excuse for Rob. The man is in his 40s, I'm older than that and have been using computers for a long time. They aren't a novelty. There is no valid reason why he would not have logged in at least occasionally over a period of months.

Rob defines his daily activities as 'returning constituents' calls' and 'meetings'. So why doesn't he use a computer? Fear? Inability to concentrate?

Rob defines his daily activities as 'returning constituents' calls' and 'meetings'. So why doesn't he use a computer? Fear? Inability to concentrate?
Because he isn't doing anything besides drinking, doping and napping?

But at least it was open! From the way Doug describes it, Rob doesn't even turn the thing on. Of course, Doug has been known to not tell the truth in the past.

Rob knows how to use whatever system it is in council chambers when he takes Nunziata's spot, so I think he CAN fumble his way around. He probably doesn't use it much, which wouldn't surprise me, but the fact there there was ZERO activity for such a long period of time is what is really suspect.

Fair point.

The no internet history thing is 100% believable to me.

We have no evidence that RoFo did any work whatsoever , much less with a computer and while the rest of the world was learning to love its new robot overlords, Rob was getting high and pissing in parks. He became mayor through brute force not finesse.

He used the word "dago" for crying out loud. He's from the past, sent to destroy our future.

Brian is part of the Hayes media family: Bill the news guy and John (Derringer) of Q107 fame.

Yes he is, his dad Bill has been floating around radio for a while, was on the drive show with Dave Naylor the other day, his (half)Uncle, Bill's half brother, is John Derringer on Q's morning show, but I think the TSN gig is his first in radio. And that only been a year or two...

Ford is only a few years older than me - he MUST know how to operate a computer on a basic level. I was a secretary - ahem, now Executive Assistant - to some uppity ups who never used their computers or who would rather have me read them. It happens, but not with people of Ford's age, unless he's a total idiot, well....

Yes he is, his dad Bill has been floating around radio for a while, was on the drive show with Dave Naylor the other day, his (half)Uncle, Bill's half brother, is John Derringer on Q's morning show, but I think the TSN gig is his first in radio. And that only been a year or two...

wait wait - Derringer is family to the Hayes? That would make sense because he should have been moved along awhile ago.

OK, yeah, I know that I said that the last one was a final thought. But this time I mean it - 100% guaranteed. Trust me on this.

Rob Ford has never, so far as I know, been observed to have worked a day in his life during which he had to have the ability to use a computer. He supposedly was brought into Deco in "sales" and more latterly spent (by his own estimation) about 5 hours per week "doing the books" (which does not imply that he was shock testing a Deco buisness plan for interest rate variables using Excel). It seems to be undoubted that as a councillor he used the telephone, blank sheets of paper and bankers boxes. With a staff to read and compose e-mails there would have been no reason for him to learn to use anything other than a cellphone, whether as mayor or as a councillor. His only apparent interest, other than alcohol, pot and hard drugs, is sports - and for that all he needs is tv, radio and the Sun. I worked with a simply brilliant, and wise, person as we moved from IBM Selectrics and carbon paper to computers and laser printers and I was often called upon to help him re-open his e-mail window - but if my hero was alive today he would be 83, not 44 as Rob Ford is. The explanation for Ford could well be a combination of lack of need and lack of inclination.

Last edited:
Ford is only a few years older than me - he MUST know how to operate a computer on a basic level. I was a secretary - ahem, now Executive Assistant - to some uppity ups who never used their computers or who would rather have me read them. It happens, but not with people of Ford's age, unless he's a total idiot, well....

I would be surprised if he has read many books, or written many letters.

They compared his handwriting to Mayor Lastman's and the contrast in penmanship was painfully obvious.

I wonder what he would have scored on the civil service exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back