5.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 776     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who chose to cast their vote on the basis of sticking a hot poker in someoene's eyes are ultimately doing that to themselves.

AoD

I remember many, many years ago in school, studying the difference between comedy and tragedy.
In comedy, unfortunate things happen, but the characters are able to 'see the light' as it were, make the right decisions, and have a happy ending.
Unfortunate things happen in tragedy, as well. However, through a failure of vision; an inability to see the light because of hot pokers in their eyes, events spiral out of control and there is no happy ending.

I really wonder how this saga is going to turn out.
I don't think Ford will be re-elected. But that doesn't mean that Ford Nation will be down for the count.

I kind of feel like folks missed my previous D'Angelo posts.

All good stuff (thanks!)

One small quibble: it's my understanding that gangs here the Dixon City Bloods have about precisely zero to do with the actual Bloods down in California or wherever, so calling them "some of the most violent gangs in North America" may not be wrong, but it's a little bit misleading. It's not like they're the Masons and a Dixon Goonie can show up at the Grand Blood Lodge, flash a sign or two and get let in.

I'm not an expert, just read some stuff, so feel free to correct me if you know more.

Down, but not out?

I don't think Ford will be re-elected. But that doesn't mean that Ford Nation will be down for the count.

"Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again."

Bertolt Brecht Referring to Arturo Ui (representing Adolf Hitler), in The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui (1941)

http://www.mooneyontheatre.com/2013...ble-rise-of-arturo-ui-the-red-light-district/

Yeah, almost every reliable source so far has said that Smith's death was not actually related to Rob Ford, except insomuch as some members of Ford's camp mistakenly believed it was and that was what originally lead Mark Towhey to go to Toronto police.

Let's be clear: the thing that directly lead Mark Towhey to contact the police was a fear that if he didn't, he might find himself in trouble down the line for not speaking up. Towhey has had plenty of opportunity to prove that he is anything other than a self-serving and morally bankrupt political mercenary, but if he's taken any of them, I must have missed it.

Let's be clear: the thing that directly lead Mark Towhey to contact the police was a fear that if he didn't, he might find himself in trouble down the line for not speaking up. Towhey has had plenty of opportunity to prove that he is anything other than a self-serving and morally bankrupt political mercenary, but if he's taken any of them, I must have missed it.

I've always wondered if Towhey's glib, dismissive public demeanor regarding the Ford investigation belies a larger degree of co-operation.

I've always wondered if Towhey's glib, dismissive public demeanor regarding the Ford investigation belies a larger degree of co-operation.

Didn't he show up to Ford's launch party last week? Seems rather odd if he think Ford's a serious criminal.

Toronto Life on 6 things we learned from Rob Ford's campaign launch:

http://www.torontolife.com/informer...six-things-learned-rob-fords-campaign-launch/

Aside from the head count - propbably off by many hundreds - the most poorly done item relates to the money. Doug Jr said that they are going to claim that the "launch" was a fundraising event. Provided that expenses (a) are for a fundraising event [a dubious claim here, but what else is new?] and (b) are not priced below market value (eg, as they would be if one rented a $5,000 hall for $1,000), the expenses are not counted as a "contribution" and there is no limit on the expenses that can be incurred. So, if one accepts the claim that the launch, despite its name, was a fundraising event, the Fords could put unlimited amounts of their own money into it as long as they paid market value. It is, to say the least, superficial to claim that 'there is serious money behind the campaign', which leaves the impression that there are serious contributions, without noting that the 'serious money' could have come entirely from (and from other available signs, probably did come entirely from) the Fords.

the Dixon City Bloods have about precisely zero to do with the actual Bloods down in California or wherever, so calling them "some of the most violent gangs in North America" may not be wrong, but it's a little bit misleading.

Agreed! The Dixon Bloods had no connection other than name to the Cali crew, completely unlike how any Hells Angels chapter would relate to the national.

Rap dictionary:
Although not proven, it is rumoured that one of the founding members of this set was a former member of a New York based Bloods gang known as G-Shine who had relocated to the area around early 2000s...
Their enemies include the Doomstown Rexdale Crips, Stovetop Rexdale Crips, O-Blocc Rexdale Crips, Tandridge Rexdale Crips, Ghost Town Crips, Willowridge Crew and the All Crips Gang.

I wouldn't exactly endorse much of the stuff I've quoted about D'Angelo from private blogs, any more than I'd bet on the rap dictionary. I was interested in allegations, plausible accusations and thought-experiments, with the thrill of the google hunt..particularly after using the Wayback machine to quote a blog taken down through chilling effects on the laundering of Bombardier monies.

Oh, and this went up today: The last of the Ford Nation - NOW Magazine.

Last edited:
Branding is everything. Fooling the masses is the game.
Half of it isn't even about Ford. The other half is about creating a "villian" his supporters can rally against. At this point, after all Ford's missteps it has become more about not letting the left "Win" than supporting Ford himself.

Humbertown is the textbook definition of NIMBY - "let's say no to a development of 10-story condos on a property already surrounded by 10-story condos so that we can keep driving to our shitty 60-year old strip mall".

OTOH, that neighbourhood is already at capacity for things that are too big and too dense.

Yes there are 10 storey condos ... That was NEVER the problem. The problem was the original proposal had SEVERAL 21 storey building IN ADDITION TO a vastly expanded mall and quite a few town houses which would have increased the dwellings by approx. 1000 and more retail space all served for ingress and egress purposes by a 2 lane Royal York Road. Any other FCR developments of that scale and scope are served by at least 2 4 lane streets. Yes Dundas is to the south but access to Royal York from Dundas is not direct.

Yes there are 10 storey condos ... That was NEVER the problem. The problem was the original proposal had SEVERAL 21 storey building IN ADDITION TO a vastly expanded mall and quite a few town houses which would have increased the dwellings by approx. 1000 and more retail space all served for ingress and egress purposes by a 2 lane Royal York Road. Any other FCR developments of that scale and scope are served by at least 2 4 lane streets. Yes Dundas is to the south but access to Royal York from Dundas is not direct.

This is the UT forum. If you're going to stretch the truth, go elsewhere. As you can see from the link's first post, the original proposal had seven TOTAL condos, with ONE of 21 stories. Both residents and developer seem satisfied with the compromise solution -- why are you trying to stir up trouble for no reason with outlandish slurs?

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...tal-Tridel-2-9-10-12s-Levitt-Goodman-Wallman)

This is the UT forum. If you're going to stretch the truth, go elsewhere. As you can see from the link's first post, the original proposal had seven TOTAL condos, with ONE of 21 stories. Both residents and developer seem satisfied with the compromise solution -- why are you trying to stir up trouble for no reason with outlandish slurs?

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...tal-Tridel-2-9-10-12s-Levitt-Goodman-Wallman)
I will go where I choose thank you.

I made no slurs thank you.

I also have some clue what I am talking about where Humbertown is concerned as well as the traffic issues in the neighbourhood.

You should feel free to block me. I shall not be offended.

Have a nice evening.

I will go where I choose thank you.

I made no slurs thank you.

I also have some clue what I am talking about where Humbertown is concerned as well as the traffic issues in the neighbourhood.

You should feel free to block me. I shall not be offended.

Have a nice evening.

Hahaha... OK. You have a nice evening, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back