225     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 237     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.8K     6 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because if you react, they will turn it around and make themselves the victims. The best thing you can do when they're taking pics of sitters is nothing. Besides, unless you're taking pictures of people in their house, there is nothing to prevent a person from taking your picture.

Also, Graeme has stopped a lot of the silly stuff since his movements are always tweeted. He watches the RFMG twitter feed like a hawk.

Yeah, I once tweeted an off-colour joke I overhead Doug make and moments later Graeme poked his head out of the office to see who tweeted it.

Graeme's also started keeping a Twitter account that he randomly activates and deactivates to tweet at sit-in members.

This is a question I've been meaning to ask: are these guys really that intimidating? Why doesn't someone slap the phone from the guy's hand? If some jerk was taking a photo of me, regardless of circumstance, without my permission, he'd be eating the camera. WTF?

It's easy to pretend to be a badass on the Internet, but if you're on public property then that's illegal and you can't do that. It'd be legal to smack you right back in self-defence.

Violence is never the answer.

Because if you react, they will turn it around and make themselves the victims. The best thing you can do when they're taking pics of sitters is nothing. Besides, unless you're taking pictures of people in their house, there is nothing to prevent a person from taking your picture.

Also, Graeme has stopped a lot of the silly stuff since his movements are always tweeted. He watches the RFMG twitter feed like a hawk.

Bull. I'd love to have the argument on CP24 where some jerk is taking a photo of me, and HE's the victim when I slap the phone out of his hand. Passive is enabling.

It's easy to pretend to be a badass on the Internet, but if you're on public property then that's illegal and you can't do that. It'd be legal to smack you right back in self-defence.

Violence is never the answer.

Point taken - maybe I'm not as badass as I think I am. But it's also illegal to take a photo of me w/o my permission, or so the TDSB tells me when they're talking about my daughters. I'm pretty sure I win that argument in the court of public opinion.

And... 'Violence is never the answer?' Hahahaha... are you trying to make me go all Godwin on you? If you are taking a photo of me without my permission, you either stop or lose your camera. That's no more violent than the original threat implied by the photo. I'm not advocating punching him in the face FFS. I'm advocating objecting vehemently to having a photo taken.

Bull. I'd love to have the argument on CP24 where some jerk is taking a photo of me, and HE's the victim when I slap the phone out of his hand. Passive is enabling.

Well if you did that you could get arrested AND he'd own the copyright to the photo as the photographer.

But it's also illegal to take a photo of me w/o my permission

As someone who likes to engage in street photography - no, it's not. It's really not. If you don't want to be photographed, don't go out in public. It's perfectly legal to take a picture of someone in public. 100%.

I carry thousands of dollars of camera equipment with me. If you knocked it out of my hands, I would press criminal charges and I would sue you in civil court. And I would win.

So it's OK for Rob Ford to hit cameramen too? Same logic.

Such ignorance.

Euler, you're trolling at this point. If the Mayor stopped, answered 2 questions w/o obfuscation and then moved on, the press would stop chasing him. How in any way, shape, or form does his failure to do that simple task which is part of his job correlate with a member of the public not objecting to his or her photo being taken in a transparent attempt to intimidate them into silence?

Standing up to a schoolyard bully is not the same as being a schoolyard bully. Take you relativist crap elsewhere.

Well if you did that you could get arrested AND he'd own the copyright to the photo as the photographer.

© isn't granted automatically just because you took a photo. if the person in the photo hasn't signed a release, © is meaningless, since you don't have permission to do anything with the image.

Euler, you're trolling at this point.

I am? God that's rich.

© isn't granted automatically just because you took a photo. if the person in the photo hasn't signed a release, © is meaningless, since you don't have permission to do anything with the image.

You can do almost anything you want except distribute it for commercial purposes. If you publish it (not sell it), you could get sued if that photo is somehow damaging to the person you didn't get a release from.

And yes, copyright is granted automatically, even if you can't technically use it commercially.

http://ambientlight.ca/laws/overview/

Read up, guys.

edit: People can ask you to stop though and it's harassment if you don't. So if RoFo's driver tries to photograph you, just tell him to stop and then inform him that he is harassing you, then file a police report. Nothing much will happen, unfortunately, but it's what you have.

Last edited:
As someone who likes to engage in street photography - no, it's not. It's really not. If you don't want to be photographed, don't go out in public. It's perfectly legal to take a picture of someone in public. 100%.

I carry thousands of dollars of camera equipment with me. If you knocked it out of my hands, I would press criminal charges and I would sue you in civil court. And I would win.

that's fine for street photography. try to do anything with those images commercially and you will quickly discover that a model release is an absolute requirement if the person is recognizable.

i've made a dozen documentaries for television, and i can tell you that there are no exceptions to this. if the person is recognizable and you don't have a signed release, the shot comes out of the film or their identity is obscured.

if all that's happening is your photos on a website somewhere you can get away with it. otherwise: no.

Ah. I get it now. We're not actually talking about this incident. So: 1. If you asked to take a picture of me or my family, or took one for innocuous purposes, I would be happy you thought we were photogenic enough to merit recording. However, if 2. you took an upskirt of my 17 year old daughter, your camera would be smashed. Ford's lackey was not recording the sunset, he was trying to intimidate. If you can't see the difference between the two, someday your camera will be smashed and your suit will die at the hands of your own lawyer when he says, "but why wouldn't you have asked permission to take pictures of the people in the council chamber before you started?"

that's fine for street photography. try to do anything with those images commercially and you will quickly discover that a model release is an absolute requirement if the person is recognizable.

i've made a dozen documentaries for television, and i can tell you that there are no exceptions to this. if the person is recognizable and you don't have a signed release, the shot comes out of the film or their identity is obscured.

if all that's happening is your photos on a website somewhere you can get away with it. otherwise: no.

Well, that's precisely what I said, isn't it? I have friends in the pro photography and modelling world, I know all about that.

Ah. I get it now. We're not actually talking about this incident. So: 1. If you asked to take a picture of me or my family, or took one for innocuous purposes, I would be happy you thought we were photogenic enough to merit recording. However, if 2. you took an upskirt of my 17 year old daughter, your camera would be smashed. Ford's lackey was not recording the sunset, he was trying to intimidate. If you can't see the difference between the two, someday your camera will be smashed and your suit will die at the hands of your own lawyer when he says, "but why wouldn't you have asked permission to take pictures of the people in the council chamber before you started?"

Upskirts are a different thing entirely, obviously.

I know he was trying to intimidate, but that in itself is not criminal (or grounds for a civil suit) unless you asked him to stop and he continued. Attacking him (or his camera) is not the answer, and would only get *you* in hot water.

Oh goody - here comes a 5 page smackdown on photographers' rights.

If you camp out in front of their office every day (which is your right), don't be surprised if they try to bait you into losing your shit (which is sleazy but that's how this stuff works). It's like basketball - If you want to play you need to be ready for some incidental contact, even if it's not physical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back