News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen "Any Way The Wind Blows" Stintz

I'm hopeful she could flip back to being pro-LRT where Scarborough is concerned, especially if it turns out to be impossible to line up a subway funding structure that council approves, but I admit that's not realistic.

No time to line up a magician for the reporters.

It warms my heart to think the people running against the Fords this time may well have the basic competence to undermine their bargain basement, bottom-of-the-barrel, high school levels of ratfucking and dirty tricks. After all, given the cheap stunt Slob and Thug pulled on Soknacki last week, then why not deny them the chance to try the same trick a second time?

If this really is the explanation behind Tory's decision for a "surprise" Sunday night announcement/early Monday morning registration, then good for him. I wouldn't have given the dull old plodder credit for such cunning. Small wonder that Doug-o was so pissed off during his little interview on 1010. Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh!

Courtesy of the Ford brothers, the transit confusion continues:

BenSpurr 12:24pm via TweetDeck
Doug Ford tells CP24 John Tory is for putting LRTs out in Scarborough. Tory said this morning he would not stop the Scarb subway project.

Natalie Alcoba ‏@nataliealcoba 53m
Stintz: "I know there are ways we can fund that portion of the downtown relief line without going to people and asking them to pay more"

Oh yes, the magical subway fairy is going to come to Toronto and turn all of our streetcars and buses into subways at not cost. Right.

I'm tired of this notion that people shouldn't have to contribute to the building of effective transit. Or the idea that the people of Toronto are taxed to death. Taxes fund city services. Transit is a city service. If Toronto wants better transit, then taxpayers need to pay for it.

But the Fords have so transformed the discourse that tax is a four letter word. And they've successfully de-linked it from the services that taxes pay for, so that taxing and spending tax revenue is somehow high treason. Now, all candidates are going to have to run the Ford gauntlet of "Tax and Spend!!!" if they try to re-link taxes to the services they pay for. Ugh.

So far both Stintz and Tory have chanted the low tax mantra, so I'm dead curious to see how they plan to pay for transit expansion.

Last edited:
Courtesy of the Ford brothers, the transit confusion continues:

BenSpurr 12:24pm via TweetDeck
Doug Ford tells CP24 John Tory is for putting LRTs out in Scarborough. Tory said this morning he would not stop the Scarb subway project.

I think the most spectacular thing to watch - has just begun - the Bros. Ford lying in all directions while they trip over themselves trying to fight a "multi-flanked" war. They can't keep their own lies straight and just wait til Slob has his next indiscretion - it will be feeding time at the zoo. If Slob actually has any type of run in with the law Dug will probably have a complete meltdown sputtering gibberish.

So far both Stintz and Tory have chanted the low tax mantra, so I'm dead curious to see how they plan to pay for transit expansion.

Simple - campaign on lowering taxes and then completely forget about that as soon as they're in office.

I'd vote for a candidate who says, "I believe in reasonable tax increases to fund vital city services, such as transit" but that position is untenable in this city at the moment unfortunately. It's the only reason Rob Ford won the election.

I think the most spectacular thing to watch - has just begun - the Bros. Ford lying in all directions while they trip over themselves trying to fight a "multi-flanked" war. They can't keep their own lies straight and just wait til Slob has his next indiscretion - it will be feeding time at the zoo. If Slob actually has any type of run in with the law Dug will probably have a complete meltdown sputtering gibberish.

Well, gibberish-spouting meltdowns do run in the family.

Especially amusing this morning was watching Doug Ford tell us the secret of successful subway building:
1) cut the waste at city hall and find hundreds of millions in savings
2) get the private sector to pay for it

Um, what is this, 2010?

Those lines may have been fine when they were ostensible outsiders, trying to get in. But his brother has been Mayor for almost four years; for someone who has supposedly accomplished 90% of what he set out to do, how exactly is it that city hall gravy and the private sector aren't building subways subways subways all over Toronto right now?

Oh right. Tried and failed.

But the use of four-year old talking points bodes well for Ford's re-election campaign. Without an actual team of strategists, they're unlikely to get new ones.

(the full scrum with Doug Ford is here: http://www.cp24.com/video)

The (admittedly few) times I've seen video containing Michael Ford at city hall he looks like he is absolutely lost and more than a little terrifed. Like, waaaaaay out of his league. I'm surprised others here haven't noted the same. He looked pretty comfortable in the pilot picture - guess he was talked into politics by all the excellent women in his life :rolleyes:

Natalie Alcoba ‏@nataliealcoba 53m
Stintz: "I know there are ways we can fund that portion of the downtown relief line without going to people and asking them to pay more"

Comments like this scare me. It suggests that Rob Ford is steering the narrative for the election. If Karen is promising "Ford-lite," why wouldn't suburbanites vote for the full thing?

It will be illuminating to see some of these Ford delusions destroyed over the next few months.

1) Subways subways subways (and by extension all municipal services) are free free free.
2) Being wildly "imperfect" in your professional and personal life really means perfection to Toronto voters.
3) The hard-working Ford family scratching out a living in their blue-collar poor-as-church-mice world.
4) Saint Rob as victim, universally loved by the people of all nations.

The (admittedly few) times I've seen video containing Michael Ford at city hall he looks like he is absolutely lost and more than a little terrifed. Like, waaaaaay out of his league. I'm surprised others here haven't noted the same. He looked pretty comfortable in the pilot picture - guess he was talked into politics by all the excellent women in his life :rolleyes:

Deer in the headlights for sure... and with all due respect to the guy he does not have the years of experience that his uncle(s) have in just dealing with people in general... I kind of pity him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back