138     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 618     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody in the legal community made a good point to me that might shorten my estimate for charges. In high profile cases like this one, the Crown is already working hand in hand with the Police so as soon as the case is closed, the step of submitting it to the Crown and getting it processed can be skipped entirely because the Crown is already involved. That would put my loose estimate around April.

This person also thinks that Blair will have Ford called in to surrender rather than having him arrested. Knowing Ford though, he'd probably ignore Hotmail Lawyer's advice to surrender and go on pretending as if everything is normal. At that point, the cops would have to go pick him up.

Somebody in the legal community made a good point to me that might shorten my estimate for charges. In high profile cases like this one, the Crown is already working hand in hand with the Police so as soon as the case is closed, the step of submitting it to the Crown and getting it processed can be skipped entirely because the Crown is already involved. That would put my loose estimate around April.

This person also thinks that Blair will have Ford called in to surrender rather than having him arrested. Knowing Ford though, he'd probably ignore Hotmail Lawyer's advice to surrender and go on pretending as if everything is normal. At that point, the cops would have to go pick him up.

Fingers crossed ;)

It's possible that he knows the jig is up and no longer cares about getting caught because he's not going to say anything anyways. The public drunken sightings are now way more frequent than they ever were before.

I think directing him to surrender is probably best for our city's image. As much as I would relish the spector of Ford being taken away in handcuffs from city hall, Torontonians need civility and dignity brought back to city hall.

Last edited:
It's possible that he knows the jig is up and no longer cares about getting caught because he's not going to say anything anyways. The public drunken sightings are now way more frequent than they ever were before.

By the same token, it seems like the TPS no longer care if he knows what's coming. For several months now I've suspected it is, but Giroux's statements to Katie Simpson early last week solidified it for me - they've got him, and aren't exactly being subtle about it anymore. If I were a betting person, I'd say the arrest will come sooner, rather than later. This is as certain as I've been since this whole crazy thing started.

I think directing him to surrender is probably best for our city's image. As much as I would relish the spector of Ford being taken away in handcuffs from city hall, Torontonians need civility and dignity brought back to city hall.

Yes to this.
Despite the indignities Ford has inflicted on the city, if whatever is maybe gonna happen, happens, it ought be treated with dignity. Please, no perp march. Just do it when it's solid to do so. Quietly.

Regardless, prior to this, The Sun's headline will be: "Chief to Ford: Surrender. Or Else.", The Globe? "Mayor encouraged to address charges" (Which would be Gee on an aggressive day). The Star, well, it'll be "Rob Ford To Be Charged with Several Offences". Lord knows what the Post will say. Probably a meek A3 followed by a cautiously worded, vaguely supportive redundancy by Jon Kay in the op-ed.

i think giving ford the opportunity to surrender is pretty smart. chances are he wouldn't surrender, so he would get picked up anyway, but at least TPS can say they gave him the chance to do it "quietly"... and we'd get to see the cathartic perp walk anyway... or one can hope.

Yes to this.
Despite the indignities Ford has inflicted on the city, if whatever is maybe gonna happen, happens, it ought be treated with dignity. Please, no perp march. Just do it when it's solid to do so. Quietly.

Regardless, prior to this, The Sun's headline will be: "Chief to Ford: Surrender. Or Else.", The Globe? "Mayor encouraged to address charges" (Which would be Gee on an aggressive day). The Star, well, it'll be "Rob Ford To Be Charged with Several Offences". Lord knows what the Post will say. Probably a meek A3 followed by a cautiously worded, vaguely supportive redundancy by Jon Kay in the op-ed.

Having considered it, I agree that a perp march isn't necessary and might be best if avoided but it's important that these charges be announced in a high profile manner. No pussyfooting around: Chief Blair needs to come out and announce the charges clearly, without any opportunity for misinterpretation and in a strongly worded fashion. Ford Nation needs to know that this is not a media fabrication and that the Toronto Police are firmly behind the charges.

Good job on the headlines. They're an accurate portrayal of each paper's 'personality'.

Yes to this.

Good predictions. Your post reminded me about the role each major paper has played through the many developments of this scandal. In my view, the National Post has really been left in the dust in terms of its contribution to new scandal developments, and in its willingness to take principled editorial stances. Even the Ford Kingmaker Toronto Sun has fared better in adding important details to the story.

Last edited:
i think giving ford the opportunity to surrender is pretty smart. chances are he wouldn't surrender, so he would get picked up anyway, but at least TPS can say they gave him the chance to do it "quietly"... and we'd get to see the cathartic perp walk anyway... or one can hope.

This is pretty bang on to what I imagine will happen.

The attorney I spoke with confirmed my TPS source's certainty that charges are coming. That warrants were issued specifically targeting Ford after Lisi has been charged is significant. Lisi would have only been arrested and charged after the police had a case so the new warrants show Lisi as a collateral arrest as expected and put Ford directly in the bull's eye of Brazen 2 confirming him as the main subject of this investigation.

I'll say it again: Rob Ford will be charged.

What's taking them so long? Why hasn't he been charged despite apparent ample evidence of crimes committed? Det. Sgt. Giroux and his team must make this case airtight before charging Ford. We know how slippery he is. When charges are laid, they will come with a 100% conviction guarantee and that's what Brazen 2 detectives are working on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back