387     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 537     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 881     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back some pages to when someone reported on one of Doug's girls f*ggot-trash-talking her dad in school (can *someone* dig that up in the thread morass?)--I'm really wondering if anyone has school etc anecdotes on Doug's girls, whatever odd telltale quirks they had; after all, unlike Rob's kids, they're "of age".

Or, for that matter, the mystery of Kathy's older daughter, who'd be in her mid-late-20s now...

Or Renata's previous marriage ...

Jesus christ what happened to this thread overnight!?

We need some actual news. Quick, someone call his office. He answers all phone calls remember.

I left a message threatening to show up at his house. I expect the cops at my door sometime next month.

I may be wrong, but if that's an excerpt from the book, I dare say it's a touch poorly written.
Well, three months. I haven't read it, but being able to turn out this kind of quick to press book to deadline is an accomplishment in itself. The author is only 29, and it's not like she was one of the Star's top investigative reporters or writing long-form color pieces - this story fell into her lap. She handles herself well, and appears deeply committed to her profession. Now with the experience of seeing her name on the bookshelf, and with the contacts she'll make, maybe she'll be given the opportunity in the future to work on other books with a much more time for building themes and massaging words.

Last edited:
I thought of Crazy Town as more of a memoir about covering the story. It wasn't supposed to be a Pulitzer winning expose. It's much too early in the story to write that type of book.

I thought of Crazy Town as more of a memoir about covering the story. It wasn't supposed to be a Pulitzer winning expose. It's much too early in the story to write that type of book.

Updated edition, or volume II, to come AFTER the election or in the aftermath. Must be a lot more material or information still hidden away or afraid to come out at the moment. Like more detail about the after-hours Vancouver pub.

Last edited:

The definitive book on this story is at least 3-5 years away, and it won't be written by a journalist, but a writer. Truman Capote took 6 years to write In Cold Blood.

Also, the likelihood that the definitive book will be written by a Torontonian is minimal.

The definitive book on this story is at least 3-5 years away, and it won't be written by a journalist, but a writer. Truman Capote took 6 years to write In Cold Blood.

Also, the likelihood that the definitive book will be written by a Torontonian is minimal.

Why? Toronto has many excellent writers.
I am just finishing up Crazy Town. It is not the best writing job, to be sure. Some parts are better written than others. So you can tell where she had more time to spend polishing up pieces, probably taken from previously written newspaper stories.
It is not the worst written book either. I think it is perfect for people who are interested but want a quick read to get caught up.

Last edited:
Why? Toronto has many excellent writers.
I am just finishing up Crazy Town. It is not the best writing job, to be sure. Some parts are better written than others. So you can tell where she had more time to spend polishing up pieces, probably taken from previously written newspaper stories.
It is not the worst written book either. I think it is perfect for people who are interested but want a quick read to get caught up.

Yes, I agree that neither the prose nor the analysis were the strongest points of Crazy Town. However, given the time frame in which Doolittle had to complete her first full full-length book, I'll give her a pass and focus on her dogged and meticulous research as standout features. She has guts to spare - the part where she was at the Basso's house, screaming "Are you hurting her?!" was truly chilling - and I respect her commitment to a difficult and at times snail-paced job.

Daniel Dale has great nuance and a real way with words. They are good friends - perhaps we'll be treated to a collaboration between them one day :) ! Didja hear that, DD and RD? We know you're reading this! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back