27     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 277     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of support for Ford on this one on the Globe & Mail's Facebook page -- even people who don't like him say they support him on this :([/QUOTE

Many likely think that the Canadian flag was removed given drama-queen Ford putting one up in his window. If they knew what was behind this, that this is a ceremonial flag pole and that the Canadian flag proudly flies every day at the highest point in the Square, I'm confident many would have a very different opinion. If the Canadian flag was taken down in favor of a Pride flag, I'd get why people would be upset.

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 32s
Wait what. RT @DavidNickle Two uniformed officers just entered the mayor's office. #TOpoli
Expand

CBC Toronto ‏@CBCToronto 2m

A pair of uniformed police officers are currently in @TOMayorFord's office. Brought in by Ford staff member. #TOpoli (via @StrashinCBC)

Police Spokesperson Wendy Drummond says police are responding to a 'radio call.'

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 5m
If I had to guess: Ford will say he received a threat as a result of the flag controversy, try to spin himself as a victim. Hence police.

Dear god don't let that fuck pull this stunt.

This is funny.

The Collywobbles ‏@Collyw0bbles 1m
Is it weird that I'm wondering if #RobFord called 911 to get the rainbow flag down? #topoli

Good point Cooper...although reporting a story in a journalistic context and writing a book are two separate enterprises, in terms of methodology, outcome, narrative structure, etc. RD is absolutely trying to pull together a really compelling long-form narrative in the book, and there are sections where that shows though. For me the really interesting stuff was all the contextual and connective stuff that has no place as reporting. I hope that it gets read widely outside of Toronto, though! A weirdly humanizing view of RoFo. Not that he deserves it...

Very true, Jamie. That said, I wasn't expecting a great piece writing from Crazy Town. Obviously, it was done on a very tight schedule, so the focus is going to be on information rather than form. Also, in my experience, newspaper reporters don't spend a lot of time dealing with narrative strategies. I'm generalizing, obviously, but the job of daily journalism doesn't call for it all that much. (As I'm sure you're well aware. You're the CBC guy, right?) I have every confidence that she could have produced such a book if she and her editor had been given the time to do the work and for her to work through the learning curve. But no way would that happen in 90 days. I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Penguin wanted to rush the book so it could be first-to-market and have the best shot at securing film/TV rights.

My email to him wasn't that bad!

Police Spokesperson Wendy Drummond says police are responding to a 'radio call.'

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 5m
If I had to guess: Ford will say he received a threat as a result of the flag controversy, try to spin himself as a victim. Hence police.

Dear god don't let that fuck pull this stunt.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 38s

Police are here regarding a message "received about a potential threat to the Mayor and his family": Mayor Rob Ford's office #TOpoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back