20     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 274     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of support for Ford on this one on the Globe & Mail's Facebook page -- even people who don't like him say they support him on this :(

Lots of support for Ford on this one on the Globe & Mail's Facebook page -- even people who don't like him say they support him on this :(

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 16m

Tour group comes through as media wait outside Mayor Rob Ford's office. Guide explaining city's motto - "diversity is our strength" #TOpoli

It seems it's not just the Mayor that needs a refresher regarding the city's motto.

typical of a Sun reader. never mind the fact that pedophiles are predominantly straight.

Technically, pedophiles are neither gay or straight. They are attracted to age, not gender. They are more likely to choose to hide as straight than gay for obvious reasons. Over-simplifing for sure, but the misinformation on sexual orientation is so widespread,

I'm sure there's an equal amount of vitriol being spewed in Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa about this as well... just not from public figures.

Absolutely. The second half of it essentially recaps what's widely known and been reported in the press extensively, with a fairly cursory discussion about politics in the amalgamated city. It's still totally a fun read -- I guess my main beef is that Robyn, at the end, mentions the insane amount of interviewing hours she logged that contributed to the research for the book, and you don't at all get that sense in the snippets of quotes here and there. The research is really admirable, as is the way she brings it together....mostly. But I get the overwhelming impression that this is more a gateway to career-building for a single reporter than trying to tell an in-depth account of a remarkable story.

I'd love have waited, say, a year, two years, to see all the issues fleshed out more substantively. As it stands, if you've been following this story with any kind of regularity, only half the book will be of interest to you. Didn't mean to be super dismissive as I tapped my last post into my phone while rushing onto the subway!

On the flip side, if Robyn published a year or two from now she would probably face the same criticism for its basis on earlier reporting. She works for the Star, after all. She can't withhold her reporting from her editors. Even if she tried and succeeded somehow, I think she'd face a lot worse criticism from readers for trying to manage the delivery of news. RD has much higher standards than that, IMO.

It's just sad that people have such narrow vision -- comments like "it's not the gay games", etc. simply miss the bigger picture.

Good point Cooper...although reporting a story in a journalistic context and writing a book are two separate enterprises, in terms of methodology, outcome, narrative structure, etc. RD is absolutely trying to pull together a really compelling long-form narrative in the book, and there are sections where that shows though. For me the really interesting stuff was all the contextual and connective stuff that has no place as reporting. I hope that it gets read widely outside of Toronto, though! A weirdly humanizing view of RoFo. Not that he deserves it...

I thought the "bitch" who almost hit him was the Rob Ford fan interviewed on the CBC (someone here posted a clip a few pages back). It's strange, but with any Rob Ford story it seems impossible to pin down the details.

http://news.msn.com/world/the-never-pedestrian-rob-ford-got-ticketed-for-jaywalking-last-night:

One eyewitness said he approached the mayor as he was being ticketed and Ford explained the story to him with classic eloquence: "I was just trying to cross on a light red and this 'B' almost hit me and now she's ticketing me."

It's just sad that people have such narrow vision -- comments like "it's not the gay games", etc. simply miss the bigger picture.

These people are extremely ignorant and don't see the bigger picture. The condemnation of gays in Russia is a human rights issue with widespread implications - these people need to consider countries where death penalties exist for homosexual acts. Putin's stance on homosexuality can't be glossed over for the sake of 'olympic spirit'. Of course here on UT I'm preaching to the choir (thankfully).

I just hope he doesn't take anyone else with him when he goes up in flames.

There's a certain amount of entertainment value and relief in the thought of Ford finally going down as he seems he might be, but there's also more than a little menace. Let's hope the authorities are planning various ways to box him in if he really goes off the rails.

A coordinated effort among Ferd Nashyun to display a "silent majority" opinion?
Looks like it. The Globe is usually heavily against Ford, the National Post is largely against him, and even the Sun has relatively few diehards.

OTOH, there are some pretty intense homophobes in every comment section and Facebook for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back