0     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorched Earth! That's the word I was looking for. Thank you!

It really seems he's going that way. Maybe, just maybe, rumours of TPS making a move is finally at hand and the pressure is getting to him.

Fingers crossed!!

I just hope he doesn't take anyone else with him when he goes up in flames.

Jim Watson, mayor of Ottawa:
Bf4wOEBCIAAWlo0.jpg:large

Ford flag flap: Another sad page out of the tea party playbook.

ddale8 1:02pm via Web
Ford is positioning this as a battle between "patriotism" and "sexual preference," with him as the patriot-in-chief.

I can confirm he was at 3030, I was the bartender there on Wednesday night.

It around midnight and was very quiet (as it is on Wednesday -- we have a large trivia crowd that leaves right after trivia on Wed.) -- around 5 patrons and an equal number of staff, most of which had just been cut (kitchen was closed and I was getting ready to close up shop early when he showed up). He came in with two younger people -- a man in his 30s and a slightly younger-looking woman. A couple people got pictures as he walked in, but I did not, as he never once approached or even talked to me (after all, he's not drinking, right, wouldn't want to look improper, right?). The off-duty staff and patrons were welcomed to sit with him, and the man who entered with him bought rounds of drinks for everyone and waved off pictures if people tried to take them. Rob was red-faced and awkward seeming, but I don't know if that's just because he's Rob Ford and it was cold or what. He seemed pretty gracious as one of the patrons got into a heated discussion with him and then he laughed it off and high-fived with them.

I never saw him drink anything. I didn't take any video or anything because I'm not that kind of dude, but I was a bit upset to see that he called off work yesterday.

Anyway, someone of Facebook told me about this thread and how people said it didn't happen, so I figured I would come here and confirm it did.

Thanks for posting and confirmation.

Anyway, UT regulars are probably not Doolittle's target audience. As a sort of introduction/summary of what Ford is all about, the book is fine.

Absolutely. The second half of it essentially recaps what's widely known and been reported in the press extensively, with a fairly cursory discussion about politics in the amalgamated city. It's still totally a fun read -- I guess my main beef is that Robyn, at the end, mentions the insane amount of interviewing hours she logged that contributed to the research for the book, and you don't at all get that sense in the snippets of quotes here and there. The research is really admirable, as is the way she brings it together....mostly. But I get the overwhelming impression that this is more a gateway to career-building for a single reporter than trying to tell an in-depth account of a remarkable story.

I'd love have waited, say, a year, two years, to see all the issues fleshed out more substantively. As it stands, if you've been following this story with any kind of regularity, only half the book will be of interest to you. Didn't mean to be super dismissive as I tapped my last post into my phone while rushing onto the subway!

It's FEBRUARY. He's not going to make it to the election---I firmly believe this. Whatever happens with the cops, whatever happens with other candidates... he's just not going to see it through. We are watching him finally give up, day by day. Signing that registration paper was his last high point.

I've said from the beginning that Ford is not going to finish his term. SOMETHING is going to get him. It's just a matter of what does the job first---the cops or his over-strained heart. I believe this more than ever now, obviously.

I can confirm he was at 3030, I was the bartender there on Wednesday night.

It around midnight and was very quiet (as it is on Wednesday -- we have a large trivia crowd that leaves right after trivia on Wed.) -- around 5 patrons and an equal number of staff, most of which had just been cut (kitchen was closed and I was getting ready to close up shop early when he showed up). He came in with two younger people -- a man in his 30s and a slightly younger-looking woman. A couple people got pictures as he walked in, but I did not, as he never once approached or even talked to me (after all, he's not drinking, right, wouldn't want to look improper, right?). The off-duty staff and patrons were welcomed to sit with him, and the man who entered with him bought rounds of drinks for everyone and waved off pictures if people tried to take them. Rob was red-faced and awkward seeming, but I don't know if that's just because he's Rob Ford and it was cold or what. He seemed pretty gracious as one of the patrons got into a heated discussion with him and then he laughed it off and high-fived with them.

I never saw him drink anything. I didn't take any video or anything because I'm not that kind of dude, but I was a bit upset to see that he called off work yesterday.

Anyway, someone of Facebook told me about this thread and how people said it didn't happen, so I figured I would come here and confirm it did.

Thanks for coming in to clear that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back