162     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 278     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 894     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Councillor Fragedakis is musing about studying a proposal to put in a cable car in the DVP. For godsake; just build a Ferris wheel and monorail.

Whether it's a good idea or not I do not know; however, if people keep tossing underhands over the plate the Fords are gonna go yard on the October election...

Actually, with the flooding problems, an elevated service would be prudent, but I would perfer something that would use the LRV rolling stock we have ordered for the Eglinton-Crosstown.

All that money just to get to the Evergreen Brickworks? Sorry, but I think that area is vastly over rated. Surely there's another area in the city that would benefit from a cable car.

They just need to think a little grander for the alignment of transit in the area. STC, Fairview, etc. it would not be the first transit ending at a venue.

Last edited:
"Mayoralty candidate David Soknacki today vowed to return to the plan to build the Scarborough Light Rail Transit (LRT) line rather than the Scarborough subway extension, and to cancel Mayor Rob Ford’s $1 billion property tax increase needed to pay for the subway option, delivering the largest tax cut in Toronto’s history."[/B]

Soknacki may be right, but I can't help but thinking that opening up the Scarborough transit debate again only plays into Robbie's hands.

Yes. Cherry Beach to Toronto Island. Though a pedestrian bridge my be simpler.

A little bit off-topic, but I'm imagining what that would do to Cherry Beach and the Islands themselves, and I'm not liking what I'm imagining.

Sure, it'd be great for me personally; ride my bike down there, walk it across and I'm on the islands!

However, that'd then bring huge human traffic through what I consider the most beautiful (and remote) area of the Islands - the Ward's Island wilderness. Cherry Beach would be full of people trying to park.

Thankfully I can be certain that Ford wouldn't go for it; it'd be seen as a boondoggle helping the elites who live [in huts, mostly] on the Islands.

Edit: also, as retailestate points out, this is a non-starter because ships!

Last edited:
Soknacki may be right, but I can't help but thinking that opening up the Scarborough transit debate again only plays into Robbie's hands.

Only if his opponents have learned nothing and again get pulled into a boring (to voters) technical debate over the merits of LRT vs Subway.

The argument against the subway should be simple, and focus on the cost to taxpayers. Something like: "Rob Ford wants to spend $1000 of your hard earned money to bury the Scarborough LRT for no reason" ($1 billion / 1M taxpayers). Then every single time during the entire campaign that Ford mentions anything about saving money or respect for taxpayers, you respond with "then why do you want to take $1000 out of the pocket of every taxpayer for your boondoggle?" Bonus points for referring to it as Ford's gas plant scandal.

In my mind, re-opening the debate is a GOOD thing, because it allows another chance to make a point that needs to be heard and wasn't heard last time.

His opponents shouldn't even allow Ford to frame the subway as a superior option or say "Scarborough deserves subways". Nor should they bother arguing the merits of LRT, for that matter. The message should be simply that it's effectively the same goddamn thing, only his version runs underground and costs you $1000.

Edit: also, if he suggests it's a "streetcar" or something inferior to a subway, the simple response is "no, it's an above ground subway" and it can be compared to the above ground stretches of the existing subway lines.

Last edited:
Problem is the height required for a pedestrian bridge (due to Seaway regs) would make it a mountain to climb...

do large ships really come between the islands and cherry beach? i thought they'd go around the islands... do they not?

regardless, i guess another tunnel could be an option...

Island airport tunnel will be completed in 2014

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/08/island-airport-tunnel-will-be-completed-in-2014/

but a pedestrian bridge would be nicer.

Rob Ford wants one-on-one meeting with Kathleen Wynne

"We have experienced three consecutive years of positive growth," he said. "There are more than 58,000 residents employed this year than last year."

He concluded that: "Toronto is booming today. We're a global powerhouse."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-on-one-meeting-with-kathleen-wynne-1.2496393

yet...

As the Rob Ford scandal gripped Toronto, unemployment quietly surged

According to Statistics Canada, the city’s jobless rate has climbed steadily from a three-month moving average of 7.8 per cent in the summer, through 8 per cent to 8.2 per cent in November, and, finally, 8.4 per cent last month.

[...]

“Instead, the bigger story is the relative deterioration in Toronto … A slowdown in home building, provincial budget restraint, manufacturing and ongoing robust population inflows have all played a part in pushing up the local jobless rate versus the rest of the country."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-unemployment-quietly-surged/article16321340/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back