189     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 289     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 908     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soknacki may be right, but I can't help but thinking that opening up the Scarborough transit debate again only plays into Robbie's hands.

i think this kelly quote says it well...

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who represents the Scarborough-Agincourt ward, said that he was “disappointed†by Mr. Soknacki’s announcement.

“The residents of Scarborough have been promised subways for the last three and a half decades,†he said.

He added that Mr. Soknacki’s claim that LRT would save taxpayers money porbably would not hold weight with Scarborough voters. “The money associated with subway construction, in my eyes, is not a cost,†he said. “It’s an investment.â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...s-subway-debate-back-in-play/article16324571/

since there's only about a day and a half left in the crowdfunding campaign, I thought I'd highlight it again, for those that might be interested...

www.indiegogo.com/projects/squeezeford-stress-toy
From the first paragraph:
SqueezeFord Stress Toy said:
During the past few months I have seen Torontonian's frustrated and stressed out, so I decided to design and build a squeeze toy, to help Torontonian's with their stress and frustration.
Greengrocers' apostrophes anyone?

English must be among the hardest languages in the world, because there are some native English speakers who cannot get basic punctuation correct.

Last edited:
Misleading headline by citynews. "Lisi due in court to face extortion, drugs charges" then the article goes on to say that his appearance isn't required. Shoddy journalism bugs me :)

Unfortunately our comatose council seems to be back in session after an all too brief display of backbone in November. At what point are councillors willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring back a little dignity and self-respect to council chambers? Just looking dumbfounded and counting down the clock until the October election is not going to work.

This is one of the most insightful things I've seen about the City Hall press:

The first bit applies to all of them - every single one - all of the time. The second bit applies to most of them most of the time. Three cheers for the few of them who do anything other than run after the Fords, yammer at them in a multitude and then report whatever bizarre piece of bullying or just plain bull tumbles forth from the slack jaw of a Ford.

In the case of both Council and the media, what else can they do at this point? There don't seem to be any rules in Council when someone misbehaves, other than to apologize. Regarding the media, he picks and chooses who he talks to but they have to hang around in case he does say something.

all i've seen is this...

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/01/14/lisi-due-in-court-to-face-extortion-charge/

just says it's happening today, not what happened today.

I'm not sure what the deal is with pre-trial hearings re public/media access, but I would imagine there would at least be ban on publishing/broadcasting anything that said relating to evidence. That's pretty standard for processes in advance of a trial (bail hearings, prelim inquiries etc.)

EDIT: Oops. Just read the CityNews story. It's closed door.

Last edited:
Unfortunately our comatose council seems to be back in session after an all too brief display of backbone in November. At what point are councillors willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring back a little dignity and self-respect to council chambers? Just looking dumbfounded and counting down the clock until the October election is not going to work.

http://t.co/lYYkHYlFiv

She has come out and said she recognizes Norm Kelly as the mayor and will continue to work with him.

See Robbie, this is what happens when you and your bully brother repeatedly mock a person and call her an unelected Premier. She stood up to you and there is nothing you can do about it.

From the first paragraph:

Greengrocers' apostrophes anyone?

English must be among the hardest languages in the world, because there are some native English speakers who cannot get basic punctuation correct.
Any native speaker who cares enough can figure out the simple stuff. I well remember my first corporate world job where my boss gave me a pile of resumes and cover letters, with instructions to toss any with a single spelling or grammatical error. The boss' (and that's a correct possessive) thinking was that if it's worth writing down, it's worth doing properly.

I'm no grammar cop or expert, and certainly make my share of typos with this bloody Galaxy Tab POS, but the simple stuff is, well simple.

A little bit off-topic, but I'm imagining what that would do to Cherry Beach and the Islands themselves, and I'm not liking what I'm imagining.

Sure, it'd be great for me personally; ride my bike down there, walk it across and I'm on the islands!

However, that'd then bring huge human traffic through what I consider the most beautiful (and remote) area of the Islands - the Ward's Island wilderness. Cherry Beach would be full of people trying to park.

Thankfully I can be certain that Ford wouldn't go for it; it'd be seen as a boondoggle helping the elites who live [in huts, mostly] on the Islands.

Edit: also, as retailestate points out, this is a non-starter because ships!

Again, it could be a bascule bridge. I'm not sure it would bring masses of people over at a time, and it wouldn't be hard to improve transit access to Cherry Beach while limiting parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back