298     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 449     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 821     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention him putting himself in a situation where he's surrounded by young women, alcohol and potentially drugs which just reiterates all of the issues that were brought up before. Perhaps him being there is serving as a reminder of the past, perhaps people are questioning how someone who purportedly had a problem with alcohol could be at a club and not drink (most alcoholics avoid places like clubs specifically because of the temptations).

I agree, but Ford has repeatedly and belligerently stated that he's not an addict. Why would he need to avoid temptation if he's not vulnerable to it? He can quit drinking whenever and however he wants, etc. etc.

Partying with friends from time to time is one thing, but I really don't think regular, solo nights at the nightclub (there's no sign he brought friends) are normal behaviour for a fortysomething married dad with two little kids. Ford's got a (nominally) demanding job; if he were really "the best father around" as he claims, I'd think he'd value his family time. Further, even if he's sober, being out late clubbing suggests that he doesn't put a high priority on being available to his kids the next morning -- and there have been other indications that he sleeps much later than the kids do, like his refusal to be available for work or events before 11 in the morning.

I don't really care except insomuch as it's another crack in the veneer of "Rob Ford, regular guy and family man". People who like him on that basis really need to give their heads a shake.

In the end, when you present a credible argument about something one would think is indefensible, like Ford buying drugs from thugs or driving drunk, they just say, "I don't care". If these people were high school drop outs working at McDonald's, I could understand but these people are all well educated, very well paid professionals. Seriously, it's just mind blowing and frustrating to see that people like this, still support Ford and think he's a "nice guy".

I really think Ford Nation is a mildly Jonestown-ish cult. To say you don't care how awful a man Ford is as long as he promises to cut your taxes is one thing, but saying a thuggish criminal is a "nice guy" is obvious cognitive dissonance. But Ford Nation is about identity politics, not logic. It makes sense that a man who values his personal loyalties above literally everything else would attract people who think the same way. Doug Ford was right when he said Rob could murder someone in public and keep his support. They decided he was a good guy once and now he is a good guy by definition, no matter how many bad things he does.

Also, the supporters don't use "honest" in the ordinary meaning of the word. I think by "honest" they probably mean "does what I think I would do in any given situation" or "does not use fancy language to obfuscate", not "tells the truth." Talking in words of one syllable is "honest" because it is easily understood, even if the content of the speech is false. It's maddening but again we're dealing with loyalty, not logic.

OMNI News is rather right-wing. I mentioned before that a supermajority voted in defence of Ford in a television poll a few months ago for its Mandarin edition.

In 2010, Rob Ford would present himself at ethnic picnics, and speak (through a translator). Smitherman did not, so failed to present his views. That limits the voters from getting to know all the candidates.

Rob is already in campaign mode, by presenting only himself with little or no speeches having to be made. Why bother with speech making, when you only have to show up somewhere and say "hi".

I agree, but Ford has repeatedly and belligerently stated that he's not an addict. Why would he need to avoid temptation if he's not vulnerable to it? He can quit drinking whenever and however he wants, etc. etc.

My two cents: Based on my experience with cigarettes, I'm tempted to read Ford's night club visit as a bit of personal test. I doubt he drank anything, but it reminds of how easy it is to fall backwards by having "just one" after you've been free of alcohol (or tobacco, or whatever) for a few weeks. If Ford were left alone to test out old habits, I wouldn't be surprised if he started to backslide. But all the fuss and bother around his night out could just as easily strengthen his resolve to stay on the wagon, IMO.

My two cents: Based on my experience with cigarettes, I'm tempted to read Ford's night club visit as a bit of personal test. I doubt he drank anything, but it reminds of how easy it is to fall backwards by having "just one" after you've been free of alcohol (or tobacco, or whatever) for a few weeks. If Ford were left alone to test out old habits, I wouldn't be surprised if he started to backslide. But all the fuss and bother around his night out could just as easily strengthen his resolve to stay on the wagon, IMO.

I don't think Rob enjoys sitting at home on a Saturday night playing happy families. He'd much rather party, whether he can party without using anything, we should know soon enough.

Last edited:
this is the best / most extensive collection of clips on ford i've seen...

[video=youtube;f9oxnm6g2XU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9oxnm6g2XU[/video]

So he decided (seeing that the gig was up) to say "screw it - I'm going out"?

That may have something to do with it. Ford often falls off the wagon when he loses control and is backed into a corner. If Lisi told him that he's done and he's talking to the cops to avoid a lengthy sentence, then I can see it fitting the pattern of past events which typically lead to Ford going on a binge. We'll know soon enough. If Lisi is pleading not guilty, Ford's down spiral is predictable.

But there's the alternative, that this is a campaign move by Doug. Take Rob to a club to have a little bit of fun without falling apart and then say that he's fully recovered.

The police have something on Ford. Details when I have them.

Danker MM, let the games begin.

But there's the alternative, that this is a campaign move by Doug. Take Rob to a club to have a little bit of fun without falling apart and then say that he's fully recovered.

Or Dougie has decided to go with the easier "I'm not my brother" campaign slogan.

Last edited:
Did you mean...

That may have something to do with it. Ford often falls off the wagon when he loses control and is backed into a corner. If Lisi told him that he's done and he's talking to the cops to avoid a lengthy sentence, then I can see it fitting the pattern of past events which typically lead to Ford going on a binge. We'll know soon enough. If Lisi is pleading not guilty, Ford's down spiral is predictable.

If Lisi is pleading GUILTY, Ford's down spiral is predictable.

Maybe he is having a midlife crisis?

Rather than condemning him for going to a club, other potential candidates should be emulating such behaviour. Maybe not going to a club per-se, but getting out among the people and loosening up a bit. It is stuff like this which makes Ford appealing to his base: his approachable demeanor. And to be frank, despite all of his faults, I don't believe this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back