281     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 430     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 811     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like your friend has bought into the idea of Ford as someone who saves money and that everyone is out to get Ford, regardless of what Ford himself admits to. The part about Ford not being arrested for driving drunk is just naïve; the part about being okay with cheating and overspending just suggests he is as ethically and morally deficient as Ford is.

I can't speak for Chinese voters in Scarborough or elsewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if Olivia Chow being NDP is just a little too reminiscent of the PRC and they're not having that. Voting patterns among new Canadians skew towards whatever got them into the comfortable position they are in in their new home and will keep them there. That usually means Liberal, unless a Tory or someone close to being one (like Ford) convinces them they could have it even better.

What I find so surprising is how strongly he defended Ford and how badly informed he was. This is a guy who seems very concerned with lower taxes, yet he wants more subways built in Scarborough. When I asked him if he knows the cost difference in building subways, LRT and streetcar, he said the cost was about the same for all three. (which of course, we all know is wrong) He wants to see subways built in Scarborough and not downtown, which he thinks has too many subways already. Here is the kicker, when I asked him, when do you use public transit, he replied, NEVER! SO why does he want subways? Because Ford says streetcars will get in the way of his huge car and slow down traffic. Subways run underground, so he can avoid them. It's like this guy was brainwashed at the Rob Ford training camp.

What I'm curious about is how does a well educated person get so badly informed? He does not watch Sun TV or read the Toronto Sun. He does not listen to talk radio. In fact he does not watch or listen to any English language media. All the media he watches, hears and reads is Chinese. He hates Olivia Chow and David Miller yet he does not know why but he tells me, everybody at his Chinese church, hates them too. Was he brainwashed at church? How does somebody who watches no English media get these views and so badly informed about the issues? Are there Chinese right wing media outlets spewing Ford's toxic views and misinformation?

I have talked to 4 friends/acquaintances, who all seem to be rational, intelligent people, yet they support Ford. After discussing the issues it was clearly apparent that all of them were badly informed. Is that just coincidence? It amazes me to see what hoops people will jump through, to justify voting for Ford. In the end, when you present a credible argument about something one would think is indefensible, like Ford buying drugs from thugs or driving drunk, they just say, "I don't care". If these people were high school drop outs working at McDonald's, I could understand but these people are all well educated, very well paid professionals. Seriously, it's just mind blowing and frustrating to see that people like this, still support Ford and think he's a "nice guy".

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/07/mayor_rob_ford_caught_in_video_rant.html

Also says RoFo says "Birds, birds, birds,...just little birds...This is fucked Daddy....my brother Randy walks with the purse like 80 yr. old bird."

Birds, birds, birds are small time dealers. He is insulted.
Then says his brother Randy walks with purse meaning big dealer.
Like 80 yr. old bird meaning someone of great experience.

This is Mayor of Canada's largest city. No wonder long time family friend Jim Flaherty was upset.

What if the TPS position that they are investigating the Mayor is just a smoke screen for really investigating Randy?

Is there evidence that he was drinking? We all like to criticize Ford for making claims that aren't based on fact, let's not do the same here :)

I used the word sobriety. And someone with a substances abuse problem then alcohol is only one of the intoxicants available in a club to be used.

If people are jumping to conclusions, then it is Robbie's own fault, with his hypocrasy, and "calling wolf".

I have an example, I knew a guy who always puffed his chest for his iron will for quitting smoking, the problem, he proportionately increased his drinking and weed use. Smoking cigarettes were the vice that made him weak, but becoming an black-out alcoholic who was clueless that he was still smoking, weed in this case, since he didn't see them as a vice, then that were fine.

If these people were high school drop outs working at McDonald's, I could understand but these people are all well educated, very well paid professionals.
Perhaps you're putting too much stock in social status and professional attainment as an indicator of someone's intelligence. Different life situations net different results. Anyway, there are probably plenty of Libertarian nuts among the well-paid professional class, especially in technology. Destructive Rob Ford is their man.

Last edited:
Perhaps you're putting too much stock in social status and professional attainment as an indicator of someone's intelligence. Different life situations net different results. Anyway, there are probably plenty of Libertarian nuts among the well-paid professional class, especially in technology. Destructive Rob Ford is their man.

This. Plus, no doubt many of these professionals believe their success is totally down to their own hard work and yadda, and will never, ever be at risk. Therefore they see no need for social programs etc. Ford is an easy sell for these types.

I'm about 7 minutes in. This is fascinating to watch because the science is still basically the same 30 years later. It's not like there has been some big new discovery to disprove it. If anything, climate scientists are more certain than ever.

The scary part is that if we haven't done anything about climate change in the last 30 years, we aren't likely to do so in the next 30. So it's going to be a sh1tshow.

If I was a supporter of Ford I would be fatigued by Ford's leave of senses.Ford has once again put himself in a position that his supporters have to defend and twist logic. For months, Ford lied about having an issue with alcohol and drugs in spite of mounting evidence to the contrary. City hall will once again be filled with the media shouting questions at Ford about his whereabouts on Saturday. Ford will clam up and not comment. The circus will continue.
Not sure why the media would confront him about this. There was no incident. He wasn't kicked out.

Also, Ford has been to hockey and football games surrounded by people drinking. Why is a club different? I'm not defending Ford, just questioning the hype around last night.

Well, as a result of substance abuse problems, Mayor Ford has engaged in behaviors for which he should have by now resigned from his office. Many suspect that his claims of being reformed are more deception and evasion so any evidence that those suspicions might be proven true is going to raise interest. More interesting in this story is that he was out at an establishment whose ownership is lobbying City Hall and has provided (donated?) services to Ford's pre-campaign efforts.

Also, Ford has been to hockey and football games surrounded by people drinking. Why is a club different? I'm not defending Ford, just questioning the hype around last night.

I think it's a good opportunity to raise questions about Ford's relationship with the club owners and the club owners relationship with the city. I have heard of Ford consorting with lobbyists in casual or recreational manners too many times. The fact that this particular lobbyist provided FordFest with free alcohol while in the midst of attempting to negotiate a new lease extension (again without competitive bids which is absolutely against the real fiscal logic of free markets), this issue hasn't been solved and he's out at the same lobbyists night club. For what purpose? Questions surrounding this are valid.
Not to mention him putting himself in a situation where he's surrounded by young women, alcohol and potentially drugs which just reiterates all of the issues that were brought up before. Perhaps him being there is serving as a reminder of the past, perhaps people are questioning how someone who purportedly had a problem with alcohol could be at a club and not drink (most alcoholics avoid places like clubs specifically because of the temptations). But for me personally, the issue is 100% related to his relationship with the lobbying club owners. If journalists use this night out to ask anything, it should be about that.

Last night?

I haven't been paying much attention. I assumed that this was old stuff, with the photo of the stains and sweat.

So he's back on crack again then. Ah, this will get interesting.

As part of a group of friends?

I guess..... Sounds like my worst nightmare, though, being sober as a judge surrounded by a group of partying people in a nightclub. Although the idea of Rob Ford as a designated driver is pretty funny.

And he has admitted to have been drinking at sports venues. Don't forget that he has also shown up to an event intoxicated, so the whole "I never saw him take a drink." argument his supporters like means nothing, remember the Garrison Ball?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back