150     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 149     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 196     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless that the Crown has decided that they have enough on Lisi to have him classified as a "Dangerous Offender" if he fails to cooperate with the Crown - in which case he could be going away for a very long time. Maybe someone fessed up to Lisi being in on a few of the violent extra-curriculars... pipes, guns, kidnappings etc. He's been in trouble before. Kinda like a "3 strikes" scenario....

Plus he has a few violent offences already on his record. He's looking at some serious time, something he has managed to avoid until now. Will Rob remember him in 10 years?

He won't be deemed a dangerous offender - it takes a lot for that and he seems to be just a low-level drug dealer. It's kind of obvious that the cops have something on Ford since they wouldn't have bothered going Cesna on him without that. I just hope whatever it is comes soon; I'm getting sick of arguing with otherwise-reasonable people about Ford.

I just got into a huge fight with a friend of mine from Scarborough. He is originally from Hong Kong, so I was curious to find out what he thought of Chow. He did not like her at all. When I asked him why, it quickly became evident that he was anti Chow and Miller but a very strong supporter of Rob Ford and all the bull-shit Ford spouts. (from low taxes, anti-streetcars, pro subway, anti-grants for disadvantaged, anti-grants for Pride or repairs to NPS and a long list of other issues) This guy is a gay man and he said he had no problem with Ford being anti-gay, as long as Ford saved him money and was an honest guy. At that point things got a little heated and what came out of his mouth, was very surprising. This guy is very well educated with a great job, yet he was completely misinformed about EVERYTHING. He doesn't care if Ford cheats or overspends to get elected. He doesn't care if Ford supports drug dealers and if people get shot in drug wars. (well, as long as it's nobody in his family) He actually doesn't believe that Ford has ever driven drunk because "If Ford drove drunk, why didn't the police arrest him"? Even though Ford has admitted it on camera, he thinks it's just people making shit up for political reasons. He also said some other quite shocking things that I would not expect from someone who I thought was a really nice guy. It's amazing how one conversation about Rob Ford revealed so much about his character and selfish views, including some racist views, which I did not expect at all. I really thought this guy was a nice guy but I don't feel that way now. I just can't see myself remaining friends with him, after this conversation.

Now I wonder if most Chinese people in Scarborgh are also so strongly anti-chow. (and so strongly pro Ford) Seriously, it just blows my mind that an intelligent person can be so pro Ford at this point in time. He literally twisted every which way to support Ford on every single issue, including drunk driving. Oh man, I'm afraid it's gonna be a one long haul, to get rid of Ford in the next election.

Being of Chinese ethnicity and born and raised in Scarborough I can't speak for others, as I'm clearly in the anti-Ford camp. But I've come to believe that it's really down to name recognition and nearly nothing about policies, except chip issues that draw up anger.

Ask my parents about the policies of Ford versus Miller and they will surely struggle. But mention the garbage strike and it elicits anger. Mention the Star and my dad will buy into the Star "out to get Ford" bullshit. Just last week I actually had my mom say Ford's handling of the ice storm will turn his reputation around... even though at the time of the crack controversies she was convinced Ford was done.

I haven't asked them about Olivia Chow yet.

... yet mention Justin Trudeau and both parents will think of him favourably, yet at one point both my parents supported the federal Conservatives.

So again. Name recognition is king and everything else is secondary.

edit: Just read golodhendil's post and it makes sense now. I don't consume Chinese language media so was completely unaware of this.

Last edited:
I've known Sandro for 20 years. He's known for ratting on guys. That's why his nickname is literally Rat.

Seems like the only thing that could reasonable keep him from talking is fear for his life. We know what happens to people in jail that get on Rob's bad side.

MatthewWebb.png

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...presents-the-face-of-toronto/article16280351/

At least there are the pro-democracy Epoch Times, perhaps the most progressive major Chinese news media in Canada, which also prints out an English edition. The Epoch Times also has the New Tang Dynasty TV channel.

The Epoch Times called out the Communist Party for being too conservative.

Isn't Epoch Times a sort of Chinese-Moonie thing? Some of the stories cross the line into nutjobbery, IIRC. Also, aren't they related to the Falun Gong "religion"?

I don't have any insight into the behind the scenes of Lisi's defence but I see 3 scenarios:

1 - If he's 100% loyal to Ford, he will plead No Contest which will have him sent to prison for up to the maximum sentence at the discretion of the judge, but avoid a very painful trial for Ford while not giving the Crown anything with which to prosecute him.

2 - If Lisi is in fact a rat, it could explain why all of a sudden the police have something to go on. Brazen 2 was about to wrap up last month but the fact that it continues makes it clear that they have something left to investigate. If the Crown announces that they've reached a plea deal with Lisi, then we can assume that Lisi gave them enough to go after the real target of Brazen 2 and let Lisi off on minor charges.

3 - If Lisi pleads Not Guilty then it'll demonstrate that Lisi is loyal to Ford to a degree but isn't willing to go away for serious time and will take his chances fighting it off in court at the expense of putting Ford through a trial that will destroy him politically and may give the Crown an opportunity to cross examine Ford on the stand setting him up for his own charges.

We'll know a lot more about where this is headed by Tuesday.

I don't have any insight into the behind the scenes of Lisi's defence but I see 3 scenarios:

1 - If he's 100% loyal to Ford, he will plead No Contest which will have him sent to prison for up to the maximum sentence at the discretion of the judge, but avoid a very painful trial for Ford while not giving the Crown anything with which to prosecute him.

2 - If Lisi is in fact a rat, it could explain why all of a sudden the police have something to go on. Brazen 2 was about to wrap up last month but the fact that it continues makes it clear that they have something left to investigate. If the Crown announces that they've reached a plea deal with Lisi, then we can assume that Lisi gave them enough to go after the real target of Brazen 2 and let Lisi off on minor charges.

3 - If Lisi pleads Not Guilty then it'll demonstrate that Lisi is loyal to Ford to a degree but isn't willing to go away for serious time and will take his chances fighting it off in court at the expense of putting Ford through a trial that will destroy him politically and may give the Crown an opportunity to cross examine Ford on the stand setting him up for his own charges.

We'll know a lot more about where this is headed by Tuesday.

But even if #1 holds true Lisi has to admit to facts and the facts can be held up to Ford as being proven in court. There is a no easy way out for Ford through either scenario.

Last edited:
But even if #1 holds true Lisi has to admit to facts and the facts can be held up to Ford as being proven in court. There is a now easy way out for Ford through either scenario.

No, that's what a 'No Contest' plea is. It means that you won't fight the charges but you don't admit to them either so no facts are proven. However, the Crown has the option of declining that plea and requesting a trial. If they really want to get Ford and if Lisi doesn't plead guilty, then I have a feeling they'd want this to go to trial to shake new evidence out. I get the feeling that the TPS wants to clear up the damage to their reputation for letting Ford off on the DUI, package exchanges with Lisi and other incriminating behaviours revealed in the ITO but not charged.

I get the feeling that the TPS wants to clear up the damage to their reputation for letting Ford off on the DUI, package exchanges with Lisi and other incriminating behaviours revealed in the ITO but not charged.

Interesting. I get the feeling they're done with it and hope the voters do what they will with the information that's been provided.

Is Rob Ford proof we need stronger integrity rules?
Accountability watchdog calls for system to be revamped after integrity commissioner decides not to investigate crack scandal

After nearly two decades of fighting for greater accountability in federal politics as the head of Democracy Watch, Conacher is now seeking to strengthen the integrity regime that governs Toronto and all other Ontario municipalities.

[...]

Ontario's current accountability system is a patchwork. Each municipality drafts its own code of conduct and appoints its own integrity commissioner, if they appoint one at all.

Conacher wants Queen's Park to create a new powerful integrity position that would have jurisdiction over all Ontario municipalities, under a single, uniform code of conduct.

[...]

Last month, Conacher petitioned Leiper to revisit her decision on Ford. Unsurprisingly, she declined. He now says he plans to take the issue to court and ask for a judicial review of her ruling. He’s currently looking for a lawyer to take his case.

(On Friday, the Globe and Mail reported that Leiper received another complaint about Ford, this time about allegations in court documents that he used city staffers to run personal errands. It’s not yet known if she’ll investigate.)

[...]

Whether the province will take up Conacher’s push for reform remains to be seen.

“The ministry carefully considers all suggestions for changes to legislation that we receive,†writes May Nazar, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. “We are currently reviewing the Municipal Act and the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act. It is important that we take the time to engage with municipalities and the public on any potential changes and to determine what would best benefit the residents of Ontario’s cities and towns.â€

[...]

Perks feels that rewriting the rules would be the easy way out. Instead of asking how the law can be used to tame Toronto's rogue leader, he says, Ford’s critics should be asking how he got elected four yeas ago despite his obvious flaws.

"He was known to be a liar, he was known to have problems with substance abuse and public behaviour, he was known to be a homophobe. And nevertheless, he got more votes than anybody else," Perks says. "That doesn't speak to a problem with our accountability and integrity mechanisms, that speaks to there being something in Toronto's politics where enough people are willing to accept that behaviour from politicians in exchange for something else he was offering.

"The right question is, what has our society and economy done to alienate people to the point where they thought in 2010 that the upside of Rob Ford was worth the downside? That's the real issue that people should turn their minds to, not to whether or not we need new provincial legislation on the integrity commissioner."

http://nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196193

Sorry, "no contest" is "no exist" in Ontario court:

http://www.lawyersweekly.ca/index.php?section=article&articleid=1602

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back