815     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 726     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 565     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be as unequivocal in my conclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation.

AoD

True enough. I think the poll result had more to do with the characteristics of a demographic where RoFo tends to do well rather than faith, per se.

True enough. I think the poll result had more to do with the characteristics of a demographic where RoFo tends to do well rather than faith, per se.

This was my thinking as well. Preaching to the choir, as it were. With not one iota of sincerity, damn him.

Last edited:

NE and Everyone: Interesting article with a comparison with NYC's new Mayor Bill De Blasio...

He is just days into his first term and I have noticed that right-wing elements are already predicting that NYC
will go into decline with his progressive agenda - I say "Give him a chance to succeed" and what Toronto needs
is a competent Mayor for all Torontonians and as most of us know Rob Ford is not what Toronto needs...

LI MIKE

I think we aren't looking hard enough at the impact of charisma. To a fertile mind, greater sins can be forgiven in the eyes of some (and that's also why you hear all that positioning of oneself as "real", "imperfect", etc. You can often get that effect among televangelists, for one. It's almost like a miracle cure, let's heal together "project" of sorts.

AoD

And also don't forget the likes of Glenn Beck (and throw in the shilling for Goldline for good measure)

Mayor Frod's reelection platform ...

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/i-will-be-your-mayor-again-toronto

I got some serious laughs; maybe some will find the satire a bit heavy-handed (and a little loopy, re trees). Regardless, we all should respect the detailed research. A little distillation to concentrate the dismay and outrage and tone down the snark and goofiness would work well for a mayoral opponent, I think.

Best part, IMO ...

The centrepiece of my campaign is a collector’s set of three key slogans. You’ve already heard “Frod More Years.†Another is “Still No Charges Yet,†because what more could the people ask of a mayoral candidate other than not yet being arrested for anything? But the one I’m most excited about, and I’ve been saving the best until now, is the brand new slogan for my 2014 campaign: “Stop The Gravy Train Again.†This inspiring and original new catchphrase was conceived by none other than the city’s most celebrated political mastermind, my brother Doug, who is my campaign manager and dispenser of mad $20’s.

Just occurred to me that we haven't heard much from Rusty Eye or whatever his name is. Didn't Rob or Doug say they were going to sue everyone in sight.......something about invading Kuwait?

DeepEnd: This could be one of Toronto's bigger tourist attractions with the notoriety of Mayor Rob Ford...

This,though is not the notoriety that most Torontonians want,though-am I right?

LI MIKE

It is truly unfortunate that the only thing that people know--all over the world--about Toronto is that it has a sociopathic, alcoholic and criminal buffoon of absolutely historic proportions for a mayor.

Further to that, they now know that, not only are we not able to get rid of him, but that he is running for re-election--and many Torontonians are planning to vote for him again.

Does this make Toronto look like Loserville?--you bet.

Mayor Frod's reelection platform ...

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/i-will-be-your-mayor-again-toronto

I got some serious laughs; maybe some will find the satire a bit heavy-handed (and a little loopy, re trees). Regardless, we all should respect the detailed research. A little distillation to concentrate the dismay and outrage and tone down the snark and goofiness would work well for a mayoral opponent, I think.

Best part, IMO ...

It's cute but a bit longwinded. Even a parody Ford account shouldn't be using words like "denizens."

As for the other stuff, I think it's obvious Ford won't pursue court action against the city but I'd certainly like to hear someone ask about it since he was so emphatic their moves were illegal.

I don't know how much it will come up in the campaign but it seems to me that a rather big issue for Ford remains that he's only one vote on council. He can have all sorts of amazing slogans and ideas but unless there is major turnover on council it's pretty clear they have little interest in working with him so it doesn't amount to much. And really, he lost most of them long before the crack scandal. Aside from the subway, it's been a couple of years since he really held sway. The new mayor can't just have ideas, they have to be able to govern and almost this entire council voted, on record, they don't respect his ability to do so.

On that note, I think there are only two (related) ways to read Doug's hiring as campaign manager. 1) Rob doesn't trust anyone else. 2) No campaign pro will work with them. I imagine someone out there knows who the Fords tried to get who turned them down but obviously Kouvalis and all those people were never coming back. I know Ford relishes the "lone wolf" thing but that's only going to get you so far.

I remain convinced he doesn't end up with more than 20% of the vote when all is said and done (and, man, I'm curious what his concession speech will be like!) but there's still that nagging feeling people are just that stupid or that no candidate will galvanize people.

On that note, I think there are only two (related) ways to read Doug's hiring as campaign manager. 1) Rob doesn't trust anyone else. 2) No campaign pro will work with them. I imagine someone out there knows who the Fords tried to get who turned them down but obviously Kouvalis and all those people were never coming back. I know Ford relishes the "lone wolf" thing but that's only going to get you so far.

well, Rob has said multiple times that Doug is the smartest guy he knows... but, then again, Doug probably told him to say that.

I've got my money on him getting no more than 20% of the vote this election as well.
I wonder if there is a way to get a votable/clickable poll going on this forum for such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back