818     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 566     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, then what demographic would that be and what part of the messaging are they receptive to? 'Hey, Rob Ford lies and cheats and then shows up in church ... just like me! He's got my vote!'?

I think we aren't looking hard enough at the impact of charisma. To a fertile mind, greater sins can be forgiven in the eyes of some (and that's also why you hear all that positioning of oneself as "real", "imperfect", etc. You can often get that effect among televangelists, for one. It's almost like a miracle cure, let's heal together "project" of sorts.

AoD

Last edited:
I think we aren't looking hard enough at the impact of charisma. To a fertile mind, greater sins can be forgiven in the eyes of some (and that's also why you hear all that positioning of oneself as "real", "imperfect", etc. You can often get that effect among televangelists, for one. It's almost like a miracle cure, let's heal together "project" of sorts.

AoD

Maybe it's the same dynamic as what you describe, but I notice some churches/denominations really relish the opportunity to forgive a sinner.

I think he is targeting very specific types of churches - it's not about the faith (like it ever was), but the underlying demographic that would be receptive to his messaging.

AoD

I recall seeing polling data that showed Ford was strong among people with more fundamentalist religious beliefs. I suspect that's driving his choice of churches.

Maybe it's the same dynamic as what you describe, but I notice some churches/denominations really relish the opportunity to forgive a sinner.

Remember at the end of the day, the power to forgive is a legitimizing force under various eligious framework. The power to forgive also implies the unspoken ability to judge, and judgement requires monopolizing right and wrong.

AoD

Last edited:
I recall seeing polling data that showed Ford was strong among people with more fundamentalist religious beliefs. I suspect that's driving his choice of churches.

I wouldn't be as unequivocal in my conclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation.

AoD

It's really curious that of all the churches in Toronto, he ended up at that one. Of course I realize that not every church in Toronto invited him to speak, but still: what message is he trying to send with that particular choice?

It's an international evangelical church, similar to the first photo op. As it has been said, RoFo is looking for "forgiveness" of repenting/apologizing for his personal problems, I agree, and this would be the group of churches to patronize.

I have to question Robbie's understanding of what he is doing, aside from the invoking of religion in a Canadian election.

It's an international evangelical church, similar to the first photo op. As it has been said, RoFo is looking for "forgiveness" of repenting/apologizing for his personal problems, I agree, and this would be the group of churches to patronize.

I have to question Robbie's understanding of what he is doing, aside from the invoking of religion in a Canadian election.

Maybe he is rolling up the extra karma in advance of the book "Crazy Town" being released... cuz that should be good.

clearly this church sees it as a benefit... my church would be split because there are people whom actually know the ford family personally... and then i assume there would be a bunch of churches which would never condone this behaviour...... As for addressing mental health, that is a very sensitive topic... I think it would be easier to address addiction then mental health. Its easier to say the consistent behaviour and denial is that of someone whom is an addict. There is actually a large church function for men on february 8th which is 100% about fighting addiction personally and or helping those with addictions around you. Someone I know who I know knows Rob said he would ask Rob to go. But Robs in denial and this would be a public admission... So I dont see that happening.
Politics aside, that would be great for his own health and the health of his family, if he went to that event.

Meet the possible next member of Toronto’s political dynasty: Karla Ford

Doug specified that the potential candidate is not his former Lingerie Football League player daughter Krista, however, which does not rule out the other three daughters: Kayla, Kara and Kyla.

A nephew who has apparent enthusiasm for municipal politics, Michael Ford, may be the family member who Doug was alluding to based on references made to him on Rob and Doug’s former Newstalk 1010 radio show. (Michael was a Grade 10 student in 2009-10 — so he likely turned 18 in the past year.)

But speculation also turned to their mother, and Doug’s wife of 25 years, Karla

http://o.canada.com/news/doug-ford-karla-ford/

Meet the possible next member of Toronto’s political dynasty: Karla Ford

http://o.canada.com/news/doug-ford-karla-ford/

Michael Ford’s Facebook page lists him as an account executive at the Ford family firm, Deco Labels and Tags, and a counsellor at Camp Kandalore in Haliburton. His Facebook page says he graduated from high school in 2010, and his LinkedIn page says he expects to graduate from Humber College in 2016.

Michael Ford appears to be in his early 20s. He is more than a decade younger than any current member of council.

Michael Ford, the son of Kathy Ford, Rob and Doug’s sister, could not be reached for comment Monday, and Doug Ford did not respond to an emailed request for comment about Michael Ford.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ther_ford_might_run_for_his_council_seat.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back