874     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 777     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 580     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure yours it too far off. Other than more typically smaller numbers... and a % point or two one way or the other.
RoFo math is *creative* at best, if I tried his math with CRA I'd be in jail.

True, RoDoFo accounting is a thing to behold - no matter which side of the ledger it falls on, just keep adding the numbers until you get to a billion, then put your pinky to your mouth a la Dr. Evil and claim "I saved a billion dollars".

Not anymore.

But, back when I hired on with Metro Toronto ( in 1972 ) you had to live in Metro.

Not sure what the policy was in the Boroughs and the old City.

( For those too young to remember, Metro was what we now simply call Toronto. )

Since the firefighters went on the 24-hour tour, they could be commuting from almost anywhere.

If you have ever applied for a Federal government job, there are restrictions who can apply based on how many km from the employment area for the position. So if it can be done federally and they get away with it why not municipally, since as the other posted noted, in the 70's you had to be from Toronto to get a job with the city

So if it can be done federally and they get away with it why not municipally, since as the other posted noted, in the 70's you had to be from Toronto to get a job with the city

I don't know how the feds do it. But, the Department of Emergency Services - Ambulance Division - required residency.

You pretty well to had to have grown up in one of the neighborhoods to get on the job. The feeling back then was that if you were from the community, that you would have a vested interest in maintaining a quality service.

It also made you closer to work in case there was an "all hands on deck" situation.

Last edited:
Their poor route planning/management and lack of hustle in my neighbourhood clog up traffic every garbage day.

Second this. Any Wednesday in Parkdale/Roncesvalles is a day to seek alternative routes so as to dodge GFL trucks. Unless, of course, you're keen to idle and fume in a 20-vehicle line on a residential street while two listless, pissed-off looking dudes languidly drag their quarry to the street-hogging truck while giving you the finger. DMW has zero interest in addressing the many, many complaints regarding GFL in the west end. Such grousing is ideologically inconceivable.

In RoFo universe that privatized guy at $95k just saved $5k, period. In RealWorld universe he just cost $2k more...
/how can we get this into a handy 3 or 4 word slogan?

More like in RoFo universe he saved the taxpayer $10k. Saved the city $5k, and then used the savings to cut property taxes by $5k. $5k + $5k = $10k!

I wonder what salary everyone should get. If nobody is allowed to make less than the average, then everyone needs to make the same. Regardless of education, work effort, risk, etc., we should just have a "salary" of $50,000 per person (for everyone) and do away with money. It worked on Star Trek.

A tip of the hat to BurlOak for providing a proper example of "begging the question".

Psychic predictions on Mayor Rob Ford’s 2014

Nikki said he will continue to be in the news this year.

“Rob is not yet done with shocking revelations,†she said adding, “Scandal will strike other city councilors too.â€

[...]

Tara Greene ... said Ford is in a “benevolent zone right now but I don’t think that’s going to last.†She predicted that his time as mayor would end in March.

If that weren’t bad enough, she also predicted “a “big turmoil†in the city’s politics and Ford “in handcuffs!†He won’t even be in the running next October, she said.

Interestingly, renowned psychic Anthony Carr predicts that Ford will be re-elected as Toronto’s mayor later this year.

Well there you have it - three psychics and three completely different predictions. Needless to say, Ford’s year will all depend on his own actions and the rest of us will just have to wait and see.

[...]

Perhaps the voters will decide as University of Toronto political science professor Nelson Wiseman has predicted.

"It's too early to tell about Ford's chances," Wiseman said. "Ford's more immediate challenge is whether the police charge him before the election. If they do, he's toast. If they don't, the outcome depends on the vote split.

[...]

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair told The Globe and Mail last week that the Ford investigation is still active.

â€There are still some matters that are being investigated and pursued,†he said.

http://www.examiner.com/article/psychic-predictions-on-mayor-rob-ford-s-2014

Controversial leader immortalised in three different styles of action 'hero'
Figures are being sold for up to $79.95 by U.S. manufacturers

Cracking-smoking Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has now become a pop culture icon after having a series of action figures made in his image.

A company based in the U.S. called Hero Builders has built dolls in three different styles. The controversial politician comes as 'The Mayor', 'The Talking Mayor' and 'The Thug.'

The Talking Mayor is programmed to say, among other things, 'Yes I have smoked crack cocaine.'

http://www.coloradonewsday.com/nati...ord-turned-into-series-of-action-figures.html

More like in RoFo universe he saved the taxpayer $10k. Saved the city $5k, and then used the savings to cut property taxes by $5k. $5k + $5k = $10k!

And just for good measure, increased user fees by $5K, resulting in a total savings of $15K :) Math!

In RoFo universe that privatized guy at $95k just saved $5k, period. In RealWorld universe he just cost $2k more...
/how can we get this into a handy 3 or 4 word slogan?

FORD'S LYING TO YOU

(works for pretty much every aspect of his record and his ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back