891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
as mentioned above, the drive for low wage labour (which lessens the income tax base, increases the need for more social services and effectively stalls growth/upward mobility - a living wage? outrageous!) is the neoliberal concept.
and, I believe GFL isn't even headquartered in Toronto - thus, more of an erosion of the tax base.
now, wait a couple years for when GFL, which is already buying up the competition, has a monopoly on the service and cranks up the rates - leaving the city without a choice. heck, they are already suing the city right now for a pan-am contract that they couldn't do on budget.

and, btw, I'd say the service is very much inferior with GFL. Their poor route planning/management and lack of hustle in my neighbourhood clog up traffic every garbage day.

a personal experience: I've been trying to get them to stop driving the wrong way down my one way street every week for over a year. Weekly calls to the city and personal contact with Denzil Minnan-Wong has resulted in absolutely no change to this dangerous and illegal driving - did I mention that I live on a one way street with a pre-school and daycare on it that has these trucks barrelling the wrong way down it during the hours that the kids are walking to school?!
lets just say that those with interests in GFL looking good are turning a blind eye to the many problems and complaints about their service.

Seems like a good time to video this and send it to someone. That's dangerous.

I love how $100K is cited when discussing civil servants, when the average civil servant makes like $50K.

Yes, and also how every year the tea party types freak out about more civil servants on the sunshine list, when the bar to make the list is still in 1996 dollars. Does inflation not somehow affect civil servants pay?

Extending your simple example, the city can pay a civil servant $100k to perform a service, of which $20k is recovered through taxation. Or you can pay a private firm $95k to provide the same service. The firm pays it's employee $60k of which $12k is recovered through taxation. the firm shows $20k as overhead (not taxed) and $10k profit, taxed at a lower corporate rate, say half of the private rate, so you recover $1000 through taxation. So now the public purse is in the hole $82,000 instead of $80,000.

Ha - privatization costs more!

In RoFo universe that privatized guy at $95k just saved $5k, period. In RealWorld universe he just cost $2k more...
/how can we get this into a handy 3 or 4 word slogan?

In RoFo universe that privatized guy at $95k just saved $5k, period. In RealWorld universe he just cost $2k more...
/how can we get this into a handy 3 or 4 word slogan?

Actually, my example isn't real world either. It was more along the lines of "if AdmiralBeez can make up a bogus example to prove his point, then I can make up a bogus counterexample to disprove it".

Actually, my example isn't real world either. It was more along the lines of "if AdmiralBeez can make up a bogus example to prove his point, then I can make up a bogus counterexample to disprove it".

I'm not sure yours it too far off. Other than more typically smaller numbers... and a % point or two one way or the other.
RoFo math is *creative* at best, if I tried his math with CRA I'd be in jail.

I have nothing new to report which in fact is the news. Brazen 2 was supposed to have ended weeks ago. The fact that the investigation continues makes me think that they found a lead to follow. I'm cautiously optimistic. There would be no reason to continue investigating Brazen 2 if there was nothing left to investigate.

Yes, and also how every year the tea party types freak out about more civil servants on the sunshine list, when the bar to make the list is still in 1996 dollars. Does inflation not somehow affect civil servants pay?

The 1996 dollars thing isn't really an issue for me because earning $100K still puts a person in the top 5% of income earners in Canada, WELL above the average. I think it's fair for there to be a public discussion of whether such high salaries are warranted, and that discussion can't happen without knowing what they are for which jobs. The problem is that this information never results in anything, never gets an incompetent manager fired or a redundant position eliminated. The public is still more upset about a $50K office clerk getting a 1% pay increase than a $200K total moron staying on to screw up some more.

I have nothing new to report which in fact is the news. Brazen 2 was supposed to have ended weeks ago. The fact that the investigation continues makes me think that they found a lead to follow. I'm cautiously optimistic. There would be no reason to continue investigating Brazen 2 if there was nothing left to investigate.

Thanks MM, no news is good news, I guess:cool:

Seems like a good time to video this and send it to someone. That's dangerous.

yeah, actually, I've been told that before.
unfortunately, it seems like everybody needs to see something ON VIDEO with their own eyes to get any action these days (!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back