130     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 298     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 729     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

How long before the neighbour says 'that's not what I told Ford'?

Also, does the 'apology', coming after Dale's lawyer's deadline as it does, obviate the lawsuit, or can Dale proceed?

I imagine Hotmail Lawyer is currently researching that with the help of Altavista.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 47m
Just got off the phone with Mayor Ford's lawyer Dennis Morris. He didn't know mayor had decided to apologize until he heard from reporters.

Hotmail lawyer out of the loop :p

robyndoolittle ‏@robyndoolittle 10m
Looks like Gavin Tighe will be representing Rob Ford in the Dale lib lawsuit. Tighe was Ford's lawyer in Foulidis case.

Also, the way he's stumbling over the words, reading very slowly seems to indicate that he's seeing this document for the first time (AND is an illiterate bonehead). MaFo and DoFo must have written it up and delivered it to him with some kind of ultimatum. Oh, to be a fly on *that* wall!

Well he is approaching that age where reading glasses may be a requirement....

I can't be the only person to think of this guy when I hear the name "Dennis Morris."

[video=youtube;vVPG-jnehr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVPG-jnehr0[/video]

Also, does the 'apology', coming after Dale's lawyer's deadline as it does, obviate the lawsuit, or can Dale proceed?

Apologies don't make defamation suits go away, no matter when they are offered. What they do is mitigate potential damages the respondent (in this case, Ford) would have to pay if the court finds against them. So, a judge could rule that Ford defamed Dale, but assess smaller damages (or none at all) by saying the apology reduced or eliminated the harm caused by the original statement. Of course, that all depends on what the judge makes of the apology in the first place. He/she might decide it was insincere and ignore it.

So, the next steps are up to Daniel Dale. If he's satisfied with Ford's apology, he can choose to drop his action. Or he can decide to press ahead. It's his call, regardless of whether or not Ford apologies.

I'm starting to wonder if the Fords suffer from "affluenza". Essentially not knowing what you've done is wrong because your parents are rich and money solves everything. An example here, http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/15/affluenza-texas-dui-ethan-couch.

"During the court trial, the defense called psychologist G Dick Miller as main witness. He gave now-infamous testimony. Miller diagnosed Couch as suffering from "affluenza" where his parents' wealth fixed problems in their lives. Miller explained it this way:
The teen never learned to say that you're sorry if you hurt someone. If you hurt someone, you sent him money.
He said that Couch had an emotional age of 12 and that both of Couch's parents failed him. Miller continued:
He never learned that sometimes you don't get your way. He had the cars and he had the money. He had freedoms that no young man would be able to handle."

Last edited:
If Ford had just made his interview statements, I would have said Dale should drop the action. But Ford essentially doubled-down on the comments by later saying he "stood by every word", which makes his current "apology" seem ludicrous.

In any case, I would imagine that an apology, no matter how sincere, does not get ZoomerMedia off the hook. They knew the content of the statements and chose to broadcast them anyway several times.

My bet is that before the end of the week he pulls a Mammoliti and admits in a public forum that he didn't mean it or was forced to apologize.

I hope the media realizes this possibility and someone gets him to do an interview. It wouldn't even be that tough. Once he's off script, he's bound to dig his hole deeper. It's just his nature.

That was one of the most pathetic, evasive and insincere non-apology apologies I've ever heard. Ford took no responsibility for his actions or the damage they have done to Mr Dale. It also positions the nosy neighbour as the primary actor in the whole affair. Perhaps he should sue as well. I really hope Dale continues with the lawsuit as the non-apology failed every condition that was put forth.

Tulse:

I think the original statement of "I don't want to say the word" must figure strongly in the assessment of the "apology" - what plausible alternative word can one offer in defense, vis-a-vis:

"I never called Mr. Dale a pedophile, I have never used that word to describe Mr. Dale, I do not believe Mr. Dale is a pedophile nor did I intend to suggest that in my comments"

AoD

That was one of the most pathetic, evasive and insincere non-apology apologies I've ever heard. Ford took no responsibility for his actions or the damage they have done to Mr Dale. It also positions the nosy neighbour as the primary actor in the whole affair. Perhaps he should sue as well. I really hope Dale continues with the lawsuit as the non-apology failed every condition that was put forth.

I think Dale's under no obligation to decide right away. I don't mind if he doesn't say anything for a while and leave the Ford's to squirm. :p

I have to laugh at Ford's utter willingness to throw his neighbor under the bus. "It wuzn't me! I wuz just repeatin' whut that other guy said!" Assuming he was even telling the truth about the neighbor alerting him to begin with. Either way, the man's got to be feeling completely betrayed right now.

It's also the most politically savvy approach- no doubt he was told to do this by his brother or his handlers- give the barest minimum of "apologies" to ward off a court case which could lead him testifying at the stand (no doubt he would have blabbed off there). Now Dale has to withdraw his court case or he'll look vindictive, going after Ford even after he apologized. Or that's what the Fords (mostly Doug) will say.

There is no going forward with this, the case is now settled.

jje1000:

Not really, he will look vindictive to RoDoFo supporters, but they are really irrelevant at this point. I highly doubt that a judge - which is the final arbiter - would be as forgiving with this "statement" than that crowd. It is savvy in upping the stomach required for proceeding with the lawsuit, but politically I don't think it would have mattered an iota given the record.

AoD

Last edited:
RoFo:
"I accosted this person as I believed he was a threat to my family. This individual turned out to be Daniel Dale on assignment from the Toronto Star."

WHAT IF Rob Ford has been carousing with drug dealing gangsters for some time (at the time of this happening) and he figured it was one of his homies staking out his house....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back