434     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 645     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ford were to resign, that would trigger a snap election. So he can get his wish right now if he wanted.

Others considering a run for mayor have a timeline for raising support focused on a year from now. Would this election be for one year as mayor or five? Councillors have a year left in their mandate. So either you take that from them, hurry them to set up their organizations for reelection, or incur considerable costs of running a mayoral election this year and a council election next year. And all to feed the toxicity of one diseased man who doesn't have the dignity to step away when he's been dishonored. You're allowing him to control the dynamic when he should be gone and irrelevant by now.

The top-tier candidates - Stintz, Tory, Chow, etc. - I would hazard to say are already in good position to wage an election battle. Thirty day campaigns are common with other levels of government as well - and yeah, I realize that party dynamics make those situations different, but they do give precedent. Beyond that, while yes, it would maybe confer the advantage you name, I would argue that that would be more than mitigated by the fact that Ford's popularity (yesterday's freak show at the Rogers Centre notwithstanding) is at its lowest ebb right now. The scandal is fresh in everybody's mind, he's continuing to make it worse for himself, and the media is at its highest level of hysteria. Give Ford a year, especially a year of being ignored/laughed at/marginalized by council to build his martyrdom quotient, coupled with the natural waning of the intense media coverage his negatives are currently receiving, and I would say that waiting only strengthens his position.

Olivia would kick his ass if we went to the polls tomorrow without a second of campaigning. Give her 30 days and this is all over.

Last edited:
The filibustering and threats of lawsuits against the city and council is crossing the line into active attempts by the Fords to prevent City Council from functioning.

The same "strategy" the GOP used in the recent shutdown of the American government. Land sakes, how could this possibly go wrong for the Fords?:rolleyes:

We don't want to hand him the martyr's crown.

Let's not kid ourselves; Mayor Assclown and his scumbag brother are going to play that card no matter what the circumstances. Bend over backwards to be as scrupulously fair to them as is possible, and they'll still scream about being persecuted.

That said, can they think that all the media attention, and idiotic displays such as that sideshow at the Argos game translates into genuine electoral support? In the world of politics, perfectly intelligent people con themselves into believing their own propaganda all the time...and the Fords aren't all that intelligent. One would think Doug would at least be shrewd enough to beware of the mile-wide and inch-deep level of fame all the media scrutiny is bringing them...But as is becoming increasingly clear, for all that Rob is widely known as "the stoopid one," Doug-o is none too bright himself.

If Ford were to resign, that would trigger a snap election. So he can get his wish right now if he wanted.

I'm sure his wish for a snap election is just as sincere as his desire for Blair to release the video, because, y'know, he'd really like to see what's on it.

Not necessarily. It would probably trigger council just formalizing Kelly's position as interim mayor until next October. That's the direction they were going to go with Holyday last year if Ford's conflict of interest charges had stuck and he'd been booted permanently.

1425792_10152052029390120_1620985503_n.jpg

Wow, didn't realize someone had actually come up with that. It's hard to take her seriously as a journalist with a headline like that.

That wasn't the actual headline: it was "Rob Ford: the Barack Obama of Toronto."

Dale is on vacation. I'm not sure what Robyn is doing. It's not related to work though I believe.

Cool, now I feel nosy for prying!

Give Ford a year, especially a year of being ignored/laughed at/marginalized by council to build his martyrdom quotient, coupled with the natural waning of the intense media coverage his negatives are currently receiving, and I would say that waiting only strengthens his position.

Not if he is in jail!

----
"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it" Rob Ford on whether he'd resign if he was criminally charged
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/402478162866888705

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back