815     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 726     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 565     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok great. We're in debt for 30 years. So let's make the mortgage worth it. Raise property taxes by another 1-2% to put our stake in the DRL and get the Feds and Province to put in theres. Council just voted to legnthed a clogged pipe so now the DRL must start construction at the same time as the Scarborough subway or we're looking at a TTC with white gloved subway passenger pushers/stuffers.

I find it interesting that the police named their investigation of the Mayor and his associates Brazen 2 while an unrelated investigation targeting gangs in Scarborough was already named Operation Brazen. I wonder if the choice to a name the investigation was for the purpose of concealment. I'm guessing that folks who instigated this investigation would know that their efforts could be compromised by Ford allies in the department, particularly in Etobicoke. By assigning a name that might imply a investigative connection to the Scarborough gang probe, it might have been a way to ensure prying eyes and ears in the Ford camp would not take any special interest in this investigation centring in the west end.

I'm not sure how compartmentalized the TPS is when it comes to who knows what regarding investigations, but I know that throughout the department at different levels of the chain of command, there are TPS officers who actively look out for Ford's interests.

I find it interesting that the police named their investigation of the Mayor and his associates Brazen 2 while an unrelated investigation targeting gangs in Scarborough was already named Operation Brazen. I wonder if the choice to a name the investigation was for the purpose of concealment. I'm guessing that folks who instigated this investigation would know that their efforts could be compromised by Ford allies in the department, particularly in Etobicoke. By assigning a name that might imply a investigative connection to the Scarborough gang probe, it might have been a way to ensure prying eyes and ears in the Ford camp would not take any special interest in this investigation centring in the west end.

I'm not sure how compartmentalized the TPS is when it comes to who knows what regarding investigations, but I know that throughout the department at different levels of the chain of command, there are TPS officers who actively look out for Ford's interests.

I may be wrong about this but I believe the Ford Project was originally named Project Brazen, it was after they discovered there was already a project with that name that they adjusted and called it Project Brazen 2.

I hope that it's possible to revisit the council's decision under a new Mayor. LRT's were the way to go.

I have to share this link of Ford being asked by a reporter if he's under investigation. This guy is nuts!

https://soundcloud.com/jackson-proskow

At this point we shouldn't be delaying it more. Just get the damn thing built. If the next administration votes for an LRT again, we will be looking at a 2026 completion. Then the administration after that will vote for a subway again, and it will go on and on and on and on without anything ever happening.

I hope that it's possible to revisit the council's decision under a new Mayor. LRT's were the way to go.

I have to share this link of Ford being asked by a reporter if he's under investigation. This guy is nuts!

https://soundcloud.com/jackson-proskow

I hope not. I'm pro-LRT because it was the right technology for this route but I don't want this debate re-opened again.

What has been opened is the Pandora's box where City Council voted to increase taxes to fund subways. They must now do the same for the DRL. Later on in planning, I believe that Council will realize that Property Taxes that don't grow with inflation shouldn't be used to fund transit and they'll create a dedicated transit tax to help fund the $30B in projects that must be built in Toronto. Ford will be gone next term and I have hope that a more reasoned Mayor (Olivia?) will lead the way on finding a fair and reasonable transit funding formula in unison with the Province and the Feds.

Regardless of how it's paid, let's not debate what to build and just get on to building what was decided on today.

They haven't actually voted on the full funding of it yet. They voted to look into P3 funding (which is essentially what they've been doing for the past year or so and it's never materialized). They won't be able to come in with an actual final cost until after the Environmental Assessment is completed. Let's not forget that this was just a redo of a vote that happened in July, and I believe happened earlier in the year as well. Anytime anything new comes up they hold a new vote. This will not be the last of the Subway debate. Also Ford promised that the next election he'll be running on Subways for everyone! So expect much more of the same in the future but with Etobicoke, East York, etc in place of Scarborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back