132     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 488     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing Ross McLean is an expert in is pretending to be an expert in crime.

He was a cop for about 5 minutes, 20 years ago.

Not true. He was a cop for 7 years before he started his own security company providing protection for some of Canada's wealthiest families and largest corporations. He also writes an interesting crime blog:
https://www.facebook.com/crimepowerpolitics?hc_location=stream

I just finished listening to the show. They devoted the entire second hour to all things Rob Ford. An interesting thing Ross mentioned was the significance of the term "brokered" in the charges against Lisi. It is significant because it implies that police have evidence that Lisi was acting on behalf of another individual (obviously Ford) as opposed to acting on his own behalf. This tells us that charges against Ford should be forthcoming shortly.

Ross also said that the surveillance by air was done to intimidate the Fords, i.e. it was not intended to be a covert operation but rather a way of sending a message to the Ford family (Joe commented that he was the subject of similar intimidation by the Toronto Police in the wake of articles he wrote critical of TPS' actions during the G20).

Ross also said that the surveillance by air was done to intimidate the Fords, i.e. it was not intended to be a covert operation but rather a way of sending a message to the Ford family (Joe commented that he was the subject of similar intimidation by the Toronto Police in the wake of articles he wrote critical of TPS' actions during the G20).

I share your view that the key word, brokered indicates he was working for somebody, likely Ford.

I'm curious though why the TPS would need to send a message of intimidation prior to pressing charges. Wouldn't tipping their hand at the Fords offer the brothers an opportunity to improve their position prior to charges? Knowing the police are coming for them well in advance might allow them time to do their usual victim routine while smearing the police as anarchist anti taxpayer revolutionaries.

But it was an already existing funded plan. The t's had been crossed, the i's had been dotted, it was ready to go. The LRT would have been able to serve more people and offered way more stops. Centennial college students were finally going to have a transit system that would work for them. The three stop subway is not as accessible to Scarborough as the LRT was going to be. You can expand LRT easier, cheaper and faster than you can expand subways. AND it would have left more money for the DRL.

This subway plan adds 3 stops (potentially), still needs an EA which will take years and change the expected costs, it still cuts a large portion of Scarborough off from the public transit system. The money from the feds was going to come to Toronto anyways and would have been used to fix infrastructure that is in desperate need of fixing.

So what does Toronto get? More debt, higher property taxes, less money to fix infrastructure, and a subway expansion that won't actually start until at least after the election in 2014. And to top it off, they've given Ford the gusto he needed to make it through yet another week of controversy, and now he's promised to make sure the 2014 election is all about subways so we can repeat this process again and again and again.

My grandchildren will be paying the debt from council's poor decision to buy votes based on misinformation.

Yeah, they made a great call.

Council's right disgusts me to no end. It's unbelievable how little logic and reason matter in our politics these days; it's like Ford has achieved peak-demagoguery in our municipal discourse.

I am stunned that twitter is so quiet about this.

My opinion is that everyone's basically worn out and tired of hearing about this; moreso given that the pro-LRT side did not have political support to capitalize on with the Federal and Provincial government's support for a Scarborough subway. Basically when Murray trotted out his plan, a Scarborough subway line was basically a given.

The big future fights now lie in prevent Ford from messing with the Eglinton and Sheppard LRTs, pushing for the taxes and fees that would actually allow us to pay for this thing as well as pushing heavily for the DRL or whatever you call it.

Gee, now Robbie has a solid election point for next year.

Of the following would not be a rally call for Ford?

4 MORE YEARS!!! 4 MORE TEARS!!! 4 MORE QUEERS!!! 4 MORE BEERS!!! 4 MORE DEERS!!!

The plot thickens........:)

Rob Ford recruited man with history of violent crime to coach high school football

(another of Robs friends who lives with his mother)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ol-football/article14761928/#dashboard/alerts

One of the men enlisted by Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to coach his former high school football team has a history of committing violent crimes that was concealed from school administrators through the use of false identities. Peter Payman was identified in game programs as a coach for Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School’s football team until the end of last season. But years before he joined the mayor on the sidelines, that same man served as an enforcer for Alessandro “Sandro” Lisi, one of the key figures in the illegal drug scandal that has dogged Mr. Ford’s administration, The Globe and Mail has learned.

Although he is called Peter Payman in the school’s football literature, his real name is Payman Aboodowleh, a 38-year-old who has a history of violent crimes, including assaulting a peace officer, assaulting his brother and breaking and entering.

The Globe has interviewed numerous people enmeshed in Etobicoke’s drug subculture and who know Mr. Lisi in an effort to understand how he became acquainted with the mayor. One of the connection points that emerged in those interviews was Mr. Aboodowleh.

“I bet my name came up,” said Mr. Aboodowleh, who was wearing a black tank top and green Don Bosco Eagles shorts when he was approached for an interview. He referred to the scandal surrounding the mayor and Mr. Lisi as “a great adventure.”

“Like, one day if it comes out in a book, you’ll be like ‘Wow.’”

Mr. Aboodowleh denied that he had assaulted anyone on behalf of Mr. Lisi but acknowledged that they were long-time associates. His reputation as an enforcer for Mr. Lisi is the product of people who have seen him with Mr. Lisi over the years and jumped to conclusions, he said. “People saw me and must have thought ‘Don’t fuck with Sandro.’ ” He added later about Mr. Lisi: “I don’t know what he does now. I don’t even talk about that guy or like to hear his name.”

Three people who said they had direct knowledge of Mr. Lisi’s drug-dealing operations referred to Mr. Aboodowleh as one of Mr. Lisi’s assets – someone who could be called upon if Mr. Lisi was threatened or if a client needed to be scared into paying their debt.

At least one parent of a teen who played for Don Bosco had misgivings about Mr. Aboodowleh. Rob Leaver, whose son played under Mr. Ford for two seasons, said that the coaching staff was great, but that he told his son to stay away from Mr. Aboodowleh.......

“If he’s using a different name and purposely … that makes me concerned, and I’m glad I told my kid to stay away from him. If someone has to lie about who they are to be able to hang around children, something’s a little bit deeper there.

FB page for "Peter Payman" https://www.facebook.com/payman.james

Last edited:
Not true. He was a cop for 7 years before he started his own security company providing protection for some of Canada's wealthiest families and largest corporations. He also writes an interesting crime blog:
https://www.facebook.com/crimepowerpolitics?hc_location=stream

Five of those years were in Traffic Services, and it was more than 25 years ago.

While he was variously identified as a security consultant, expert in policing or use of force he was almost always described as a former Toronto officer.
It was the latter that put the bona in his fides, if you like.

The problem is, Mr. McLean hasn’t been a cop for 27 years, and he was one only for six or seven years, four or five of those, as Mr. McLean himself confirmed in a phone interview this week, spent in traffic services.
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ss-mclean-into-an-expert-in-sammy-yatim-case/

How the fuck does that make him a "crime expert."

I'm curious though why the TPS would need to send a message of intimidation prior to pressing charges. Wouldn't tipping their hand at the Fords offer the brothers an opportunity to improve their position prior to charges?

People under pressure often make mistakes.

They think the plane is the surveillance, they think "I better get rid of that evidence, " and then they lead the police to the big stash.

Last edited:
People under pressure often make mistakes.

They think the plane is the surveillance, they think "I better get rid of that evidence, " and then they lead the police to the big stash.

Sure, but an unmarked airplane is hardly the most effective way to do that. Tailing with a marked police car or having a detective come to the house would have been unambiguous and cheap.

There must be an operational reason for the flight surveillance - maybe they couldn't get warrant to do cell phone tracking or Lisi kept removing the gps bugs on his car or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back