1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, what exactly is pushing the truth? Granted, Hogan let him win, but that won't be how the Fords tell the story, and the fishing story is a bit of myth-making. But the more serious ones?

- Ford's sister's ex did come to their house threatening him, saying that Ford owed him money (Sun story)
- Ford did drive drunk (it's obvious to me that he arrived there on his own and was recorded stumbling stupid drunk minutes after leaving his vehicle).
- Sandro Lisi has multiple charges for threatening women and dealing with drugs (Star story)
- Dave Price went to the Dixon Rd complex and Lisi went to the Windsor residence looking for the tape (Star story)
- Ford arrived at the jailhouse outside visiting hours and gave a false story hoping to see his drug-abusing friend Bruno (Globe story)

I've doing this from memory, so if I have one of these wrong, please let me know, but I'm not intentionally pushing any falsehoods. Actually think I'm being a bit restrained.

My recent post was 99% wine-fueled snark. I hope some readers got a laugh.

You are being a bit restrained. Truly, seriously, possibly imperfect but reasonably honest and smart civic leadership in Toronto is important not just for Torontonians but all Canadians, and it's horrendous that we're not getting it at all right now. Recent credible reporting that violence might have been deployed by Ford cronies to "get the tape" is really dismaying. The "-gate" suffix to news stories is usually a weak cliche, but here it really applies: The coverup is so much worse than the crime.

I have the same sort of sentiment regarding the Rob-hammered-on-the-Danforth story. Occam's razor says most likely he was blitzed to the point of incoherence at the helm of a giant SUV rolling through high-population-density neighbourhoods. What the hell. Anybody who does that should get some jail time.

Last edited:
I hope some readers got a laugh.
Well, I had to go seeking the video to see if the clip-on necktie claim was for real. Wow. Think that he, a guy who is everywhere always in a bad-fitting suit and necktie, wears those all the time? (evvabeing, get on this - to Google now!) He couldn't - half the time he doesn't even have the top button fastened. Maybe the clip-ons are why his collars are always so wonky. Where do they even sell those for grownups? Maybe the clip-on was for the show of taking it off, but it would be better show to rip it out of it's knot or take it off over the head. I wear a tie once every three years, and still I manage to eventually remember how to knot it. People, the mayor of the fourth largest city in North America.

Last edited:
From this list of things we learned about the Mayor in the last couple weeks, please choose the two items most likely to be remembered about him two months from now.

My hot two:

3. Ford attempted to slide past jail guards to speak to a drug-abusing friend.
and
6. Two of Ford's friends, Dave Price (now employed in the mayor's office) and Sandro Lisi (the above mentioned driver), went searching through the drug dens of Etobicoke to retrieve the crack tape.

I seem to recall they party in 3 was also involved in 6?

Maybe the clip-ons are why his collars are always so wonky. Where do they even sell those for grownups?

In the event the clip-on wasn't done purely for show and he wears them regularly, Ford has an out on this fashion faux pas: safety. I've dated my fair share of cops and military/security guys, and they preferred clip-ons as they could be removed instantly instead of being used as a choking weapon.

To this day, I ask any man wearing one if he used to work in that field. The response is a knowing smile.

Where do they even sell those for grownups? Maybe the clip-on was for the show of taking it off, but it would be better show to rip it out of it's knot or take it off over the head. I wear a tie once every three years, and still I manage to eventually remember how to knot it. People, the mayor of the fourth largest city in North America.

Yeah, exactly, I'm glad you were amused (really, the humour is fantastic) and horrified the same way I was. I'm hoping the tearaway-clip-on clip quickly gets more Web infamy than the take-the-snap-then-fall-down-so-fast-and-hard football clip.

Really, though, every citizen should be be demanding answers about what appears to be a sequence of seriously questionable acts taken to "get the crack video". That part of the story is not funny at all.

In the event the clip-on wasn't done purely for show and he wears them regularly, Ford has an out on this fashion faux pas: safety. I've dated my fair share of cops and military/security guys, and they preferred clip-ons as they could be removed instantly instead of being used as a choking weapon.

To this day, I ask any man wearing one if he used to work in that field. The response is a knowing smile.

Huh, interesting. These guys must wake up and go to work being ready for a level of violence most of us could not imagine. Not a joke, that would be a tough job.

Would these guys say that the main guy they were protecting needed to protect him or herself the same way, re neckware? Especially if the main guy's main thing to do that day was trying to look cool arm-wrestling a WWE star?

Last edited:

I think only people with necks have to worry about getting choked.

I don't know about that. Quite a few people would like to throttle Don Cherry, although the narrator from Rocky Horror should be spared. (Thanks for putting that unpostable line from the audience participation RHPS in my head.)

It would be great to get professional feedback but alas, I can't remember half those guys names let alone know their current whereabouts.

Another reason for clip ons is stroke. Sometimes the hand movements required are incapacitated following heart attack or stroke. Who knows if Ford may have suffered untreated or unpublicized strokes.

For someone who doesn't know how to tie a tie, I know way too much about this topic. Trinty, Ascot, Eldredge, Double Windsor, clip-on, hooker hands...whatever Rob Ford puts around his neck is inconsequential compared to his boorish and undignified actions and behaviour.

Ford has given far greater and more valid reasons to be dismissed than his neck apparel.

Last edited:
I'm curious which of his points are pushing the boundaries of the truth? Only the Mayor McCallion one doesn't ring a bell to me ... perhaps I missed that story when I was out of town.

1. His sister's drug-dealing ex-boyfriend threatened Ford because he was owed money.
2. Ford drives while intoxicated.
3. Ford attempted to slide past jail guards to speak to a drug-abusing friend.
4. Ford saved the Mississauga mayor from going overboard while fishing.
5. Ford's part-time driver and security has been charged multiple times with threatening violence to women.
6. Two of Ford's friends, Dave Price (now employed in the mayor's office) and Sandro Lisi (the above mentioned driver), went searching through the drug dens of Etobicoke to retrieve the crack tape.
7. Ford stepped in to break up a fight at a high school football game in St. Catherine.
8. Ford defeated Hulk Hogan at arm-wrestling.

2-We don't know that Ford drove intoxicated, there's no direct evidence to support this claim. He could have put back a mickey after he parked, or hit a nearby bar - we don't know.

3-He tried to get a tour of the facility and then tried to see an inmate, he didn't try to slide past the guards

6-They didn't exactly comb through Etobicoke crack dens, they followed a couple of leads

2-We don't know that Ford drove intoxicated, there's no direct evidence to support this claim.
The man was convicted of drunk driving. There was no date noted above.

3-He tried to get a tour of the facility and then tried to see an inmate, he didn't try to slide past the guards
Name 1 other visitor to the Don Jail who wanted to see someone, but instead asked for a tour of the facility instead of seeing the person. That one is just bizarre.

6-They didn't exactly comb through Etobicoke crack dens, they followed a couple of leads
Not sure how that's pushing the boundaries of truth.

Your correct on the first point, I was thinking of the Taste of the Danforth episode, the other two, I still think they are reaching. Point 2 is bizarre, no doubt, but those are my opinions and I stand by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back