289     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 422     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 498     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that Jack Layton was caught in a rub-and-tug (which is about as bad as, if not worse than, smoking crack)

...and ford saved the city BILLIONS and is hand digging a subway to Scarborough.....it's true if you repeat it enough.

If there wasn't a concerted effort by the Toronto Star, among other media outlets, to prevent Ford's election by any means, these controversies probably would have brought Ford down. Problem is, there have been so many faux-controversies and unwarranted attacks on Ford that its almost become reflexive to just dismiss any subsequent controversy. Like I mentioned before, all of my family and friends, most who strongly dislike Ford, did not believe the crack allegations.
There's some strange circular logic here. Almost Fordian. The people, you seem to be saying, would have reached the conclusion that Ford is unfit if no media outlets had reported on any of the instances where Ford was clearly acting in ways improper for a mayor.

Most media outlets aren't reporting adequately, or honestly or with the courage or integrity their positions should demand. They're too busy trying to stay on the right side of populist opinion. That's why he's continues on.

What billions??? Are these "Ford" billions? (as in using the word billion because you think it sounds cool but just a term you pull out of your ass rather than anything resembling a fact)

The island airport has cost us untold millions in subsidies to both the airport and airlines.
The island airport is a safety and environmental hazard
The island airport is incompatible with the $BILLIONS (real billions) in development on the waterfront
The island airport represents a massive waste of 215 acres of super prime waterfront land

So, whatever else would replace the island airport would be immensely better than the status quo. This would be the long term positive move for the city. Anybody who supports this is working in the best interests of the city and more than qualifies them for public office.

I did't pull these figures out of thin air. A report was commissioned on the economic impact which found that Billy Bishop was a major economic engine for the city of Toronto with a yearly economic output of $1.9 Billion and 5,700 jobs including 1,700 direct jobs.

http://www.torontoport.com/TorontoP...irport-Economic-Impact-Study-News-Release.pdf

If and when Porter gets approval to fly the CSeries WhisperJet into Billy Bishop these already impressive numbers will grow dramatically.

I don't know how anyone can get elected Mayor of Toronto while being opposed to an airport that contributes so much to the economy and is vital to our future.

You say that the airport is incompatible with the redevelopment of the waterfront? The fact is when scheduled airline service began in the 1980s with City Express there was no development on the waterfront - it was an industrial wasteland. The presence of the airport has not prevented the waterfront from being almost completely developed. Only a few parcel of land remain to be developed around the airport so the argument that the airport hinders real-estate development (building condos) is demonstrably false.

This is good:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jude-macdonald/concern-raised-by-residents-friday-night-regarding-mayors-actions-not-adequately/10151501619666710

Concern raised by residents Friday night regarding Mayor's actions not adequately addressed
14 August 2013 at 13:31
Dear Councillor:

[etc.]

Jude MacDonald
resident, Toronto Centre

Toronto Centre? Clearly a dumb leftie going after our dear mayor who was only having fun.

I completely disagree. First of all, Rob Ford is an anomaly - most right-wingers, such as the CPC, have plenty of scandals that stick to them and destroy their careers. It might just be the nature of these scandals (mostly spending and corruption scandals) that bothers voters, but Ford is pretty much alone in weathering major personal controversies untouched. Its not a popular theory here on UT and I was lambasted as a liar for the anecdote I brought up last time, but I still contend that this is entirely due to Ford being unfairly maligned and targeted in the media. If there wasn't a concerted effort by the Toronto Star, among other media outlets, to prevent Ford's election by any means, these controversies probably would have brought Ford down. Problem is, there have been so many faux-controversies and unwarranted attacks on Ford that its almost become reflexive to just dismiss any subsequent controversy. Like I mentioned before, all of my family and friends, most who strongly dislike Ford, did not believe the crack allegations.

Sorry mate, but I don't know why you're repeating these things.

The perception that Ford is being persecuted by MSM is 10% truth and 90% manufactured and propagated by conservative media and Ford himself. If you believe that he's unfairly treated, you're looking from the perspective that he hasn't done anything wrong. The reason why Ford still has his support is that his scandals, as you've pointed out, are not monetary in nature- they impact only the intangibles (i.e. offended sense of morality, city reputation). Ford's strength lies in his 'honest' everyman nature and his supposed strengths with monetary issues. The waste that Ford has created isn't explict or solely pinned on him (police wages are related to the city, the TTC sunk costs are related to council) and even those won't have as strong an impact.

Last edited:
I don't have much of an issue with the island airport myself. It is hugely convenient, and that translates into less traffic and pollution to get to Pearson. The noise is not particularly noticeable, and I think any safety concerns are overblown. As for it being a waste of land, I sure as heck prefer a low-rise airport there to a forest of condos.

I think a lot of the opposition to the island airport comes from island residents and those who are sympathetic to them. While I can understand their concerns, that very small community's special status often looms larger than their actual footprint in the city.

it's not a witch hunt if they're actually a witch.

The pattern is robbie gets busted. Robbie denies it and robbie nation whines about a lefty witch hunt. Eventually enough evidence surfaces and robbie is forced to provide a half-assed mumbling apology. Then robbie nation says 'who cares he did xxx?' jack Layton got caught in a rub n tug and lived in subsidized housing.

it's not a witch hunt if they're actually a witch.

The pattern is robbie gets busted. Robbie denies it and robbie nation whines about a lefty witch hunt. Eventually enough evidence surfaces and robbie is forced to provide a half-assed mumbling apology. Then robbie nation says 'who cares he did xxx?' jack Layton got caught in a rub n tug and lived in subsidized housing.

eHealth eHealth eHealth St. Clair LRT eHealth Gas Plants eHealth

animatronic, animated..Doing a double take. it's all verra confusing. We need hats! White & black ones...maybe some grey.

eHealth eHealth eHealth St. Clair LRT eHealth Gas Plants eHealth

Of course the Conservatives are squeaky clean, no controversies to be found there since Harper got his Majority Government! I could write a book, not to mention how he is destroying our country.

Again guys, I think you're arguing with someone who posted Ford Nation talking points for purpose of satire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back