323     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 439     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 498     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize. I was responding to some earlier posts. I understand that many on this forum have certain political ideaologies and get extremely upset about those different opinions but this is a little extreme.

I will refrain from reading and posting on this forum.

Urban Toronto members can be overzealous and annoying at times but this is some delicious passive aggressiveness.

scar_resident, no one is asking you not to comment, they're just asking you to keep on topic of the thread -- like guitararchitect said, start a new thread about Chow & Layton, this is a Rob Ford thread.

Plus, it's old ground that's already been covered ad nauseum. If anyone wants to know what people on this thread think about the Layton/Chow housing thing, all they have to do is go back a couple hundred pages.

There are many reasons why I would not vote for Chow. Off the top of my head I would say the fact that she still pledges to kill the Island Airport even after it has been proven to be so positive for Toronto pumping $Billions into the local economy and providing thousands of jobs (including at our largest Mfg employer Bombardier) disqualifies her for any public office in Toronto.

I think Chow is a fraud much like her late husband and lets face it, had she not married Jack it's unlikely that most of us would have ever heard of her name. I will not forget how when Jack was alive these two dippers double-dipped on housing allowances in Ottawa (over $1 Million A YEAR in housing & travel expenses!) and when confronted explained it was OK because they didn't break any rules (just like they didn't break any rules when they lived in Toronto Public housing years before while making over $100,000!)

Chow is a fraud? Based on your great judgement?

There you go spreading mistruths and I know that you know the truth, so there is no excuse for it. You really can't find a good reason to smear Olivia Chow, so you need to find some way to justify your disgust with anybody who you consider a lefty. But really, is that the best you could do?

I remember the days you were Rob Ford's biggest supporter and how you manipulated the information back then. Is it possible you'll flip flop about Olivia too or do you only flip flop for Rightys? Do you have any credibility at all? I don't have the patience to play your game but I needed to call BS when I see it.

If you want to convince everyone that Olivia Chow is a terrible person and would make such a terrible mayor, you're going to have to do a lot better than that but I do suggest that members look back at Peepers comments when he though Rob Ford was the best thing since sliced bread. Then you can evaluate his great judgment all for yourselves. After you do, you tell me if he has an agenda and is his judgement fair and honest?

Chow is a fraud? Based on your great judgement?

There you go spreading mistruths and I know that you know the truth, so there is no excuse for it. You really can't find a good reason to smear Olivia Chow, so you need to find some way to justify your disgust with anybody who you consider a lefty. But really, is that the best you could do?

I remember the days you were Rob Ford's biggest supporter and how you manipulated the information back then. Is it possible you'll flip flop about Olivia too or do you only flip flop for Rightys? Do you have any credibility at all? I don't have the patience to play your game but I needed to call BS when I see it.

If you want to convince everyone that Olivia Chow is a terrible person and would make such a terrible mayor, you're going to have to do a lot better than that but I do suggest that members look back at Peepers comments when he though Rob Ford was the best thing since sliced bread. Then you can evaluate his great judgment all for yourselves. After you do, you tell me if he has an agenda and is his judgement fair and honest?

Peepers has never been shy about sharing his obsession with Layton and Chow. its a bit embarrassing....

….Remember in the Layton sex scandal - Jack was found in a rub-and-tug parlor that Police were investigating for underage sex-slaves. There is no question that Layton was a client of this parlour and if the masseuse was indeed underage this would mean that Layton was a pedophile….

Instead of admitting to past mistakes Layton (and Chow) fabricated the totally unbelievable story that he thought he was in a "community clinic" and that a naked Jack Layton was "shocked" when vice squad cops informed him he was in fact in a bawdy house. Not only was Layton (and Chow) deceitful in making this statement, Layton also proved what a complete hypocrite he is since blah blah blah…

…. As for affordable housing I don't doubt that this is an issue close to her heart. The Layton's have long had an affinity for subsidized living accommodations blah blah blah

…This latest one was conducted just days after the sob-story bio-pic "Jack" aired on the CBC. The TV movie was nothing but a taxpayer funded campaign ad for Olivia Chow(for which Chow was a paid consultant!). blah blah blah

Would you go to the food bank and pay for items?

It is ridiculous the lengths some people will go to spread their political agenda. They'll twist and turn in the wind, just to manipulate the truth. Is it any wonder why so many people are confused about even the simplest issues? It's because too many people out there are intentionally spreading half truths and misinformation, in the hopes that most people only read the headlines, without really understanding the details. I'm sick of this political manipulation and dishonesty.

I don't want to vote for Olivia Chow myself.

But it's surprising what takes hold in the public imagination. Remember how John Dean was defeated by that one botched yell of enthusiasm? Why can't Rob Ford's desperate, high-pitched, slurring, obviously-guilty denial of "I'm not driving. I'm not driving. I'm not driving." be attached to him with the force this housing arrangement of Layton's sticks to him?

He was driving impaired. It's right there. Someone make it stick. He hangs with criminals. Someone make it stick. He doesn't show up for work. Someone make it stick.

The media gives him legitimacy, and they are giving him a free ride when they could hang him. Is it because his nature of his character is already discounted by his supporters? Is it because a lot of the media plays the same "looking out for you" petty grievance schtick that he does?

Last edited:
Does anyone else think Doug saying "no one was hurt" is his way of admitting that Rob was driving while intoxicated?

Last edited:

But it's surprising what takes hold in the public imagination. Remember how John Dean was defeated by that one botched yell of enthusiasm? Why can't Rob Ford's high-pitched, slurring, obviously-guilty denial of "I'm not driving. I'm not driving. I'm not driving." be attached to him with the force this housing arrangement of Layton's sticks to him?

He was driving impaired. It's right there. Someone make it stick. He hangs with criminals. Someone make it stick. He doesn't show up for work. Someone make it stick.

The media gives him legitimacy, and they are giving him a free ride when they could hang him. Is it because his nature of his character is already discounted by his supporters? Is it because a lot of the media plays the same "looking out for you" petty grievance schtick that he does?

For some reason, people judge right-wingers and left-wingers differently. When right-wing politicians get involved with sex, drugs or stupidity, many people are ready to over-look it and say "hey, they're regular guys, just like us". But when a left-wing politicians do the same thing, everybody is all over them yelling for their resignation. It also appears that left-wingers will not support their politicians, when they do or say stupid or embarrassing things, while right-wingers are more tuned into their agenda, and will overlook a bad politician, as long as he keeps towing the party line. Things like integrity, honesty and especially accountability, don't have much value. If you lower their taxes and stick to the right-wing agenda, they'll overlook just about anything.

That has been my observation anyway.

Last edited:
For some reason, people judge right-wingers and left-wingers differently. When right-wingers get involved with sex, drugs or stupidity, many people are ready to over-look it and say "hey, they're regular guys, just like us". But when a left-winger does the same thing, everybody is all over them yelling for their resignation. It also appears that left-wingers will not support their politicians, when they do or say stupid or embarrassing things, while right-wingers are more tuned into their agenda, and will overlook a bad politician, as long as he keeps towing the party line. Things like integrity, honesty and especially accountability, don't have much value. If you lower their taxes and stick to the right-wing agenda, they'll overlook just about anything.

Pretty accurate observation...

...I've even seen this type of behaviour personally and the other thing I'll add to your comment is that when you confront a righty about their double standards and hypocrisy, then invariable get angry, begin to pontificate nonsense about everything that has NOTHING to do with the issue you've confronted them about...and begin attacking you on another issue...it's a tactic I think they've used over and over again...suddenly you find yourself DEFENDING something and then wonder how it came that you're now talking/defending something else! Add to that the fact that their cleverly sidestepped attack is full of lies, which you naturally find yourself trying to defend. Again, a tactic they use quite successfully with 'reasonable' people, and the reason it works is because 'reasonable' people like to use 'logic' in discussions, whereas the righty simply uses 'attack' mode...logic has no place in their MO.

I'd say all sides in the political spectrum are guilty of overlooking and dismissing faults in their chosen representatives. Right may be more aggressive at battering away at simple talking points and obvious lies, but we all do it.

But there's a tipping point where a politician or a celebrity slips and then there's like a bully dynamic, where everyone feels free to laugh and point, this one mistake is chained around their neck and their reputation takes a dive. Ford should have reached it by now, because he's way overstepped boundaries in what is proper in a mayor. There's a photograph of him hanging with criminals, one of which was later murdered, the others arrested. There's all kinds of violence surrounding him and his family. He was clearly driving while intoxicated. He was unable to meet professional obligations and expectations. Yet his enablers carry on, and the media refuses to lean on him, they instead transmit the lies and denials without comment. There will be a point - oh gawd, please - when everyone turns, when everyone tries to distance themselves. It's amazing to me that he makes mistakes like this past weekend and that isn't the tipping point, even when everyone knows that there is probably this video out there that should finally disgrace the guy. Still they choose to hang with him. And most must realize that he's a clown unfit for the job.

Are they all that afraid of being on the wrong side of popular, regular-guy opinion?

Last edited:

But it's surprising what takes hold in the public imagination. Remember how John Dean was defeated by that one botched yell of enthusiasm? Why can't Rob Ford's high-pitched, slurring, obviously-guilty denial of "I'm not driving. I'm not driving. I'm not driving." be attached to him with the force this housing arrangement of Layton's sticks to him?

Slurring "I'm not driving!" three times in front of a mirror should summon the spirit of Rob Ford's Crackpipe, there's a meme I can get behind. Ford could have been immortalized in a holy trinity with the ghost of Bloody Mary and Beetlejuice!

Seriously, televised media's handling of Ford is atrocious. They never ever stop to point out that the mayor's "facts" like the supposed billions he's saved are unsubstantiated, any commentary is limited to fluff guy-on-the-street opinion pieces and the shrugging shoulders of the news anchor. I'm glad the Star and even the other papers are still doing a little actual reporting, at least. I wish I knew for certain if this treatment of the mayor was due to orders from on high, or if the media establishment really is that disconnected from the people they're supposed to be keeping informed.

Does anyone else think Doug saying "no one was hurt" is his way of admitting that Rob was driving while intoxicated?

Yep, that saying is used to down play a cock-up, usually by children. That's why Dougie likes to go into the whole "record as mayor" spiel to somehow downplay the cock-up compared to Robbie's "achievements".

I have found that the biggest f**k-ups always try to downplay their "transgressions" when compared to their "achievements"

My favorite elitist is the university snot who believe they are superior because they have gone to university... wait, Robbie has done this, well at least he tried to lie that he "almost" compleated a degree at Carlton. He actually left after a short time, from most reports, because he failed to be anything but a bench warmer on the football team.

So this would make Robbie a wannabe snot. :)

Slurring "I'm not driving!" three times in front of a mirror should summon the spirit of Rob Ford's Crackpipe, there's a meme I can get behind. Ford could have been immortalized in a holy trinity with the ghost of Bloody Mary and Beetlejuice!

Seriously, televised media's handling of Ford is atrocious. They never ever stop to point out that the mayor's "facts" like the supposed billions he's saved are unsubstantiated, any commentary is limited to fluff guy-on-the-street opinion pieces and the shrugging shoulders of the news anchor. I'm glad the Star and even the other papers are still doing a little actual reporting, at least. I wish I knew for certain if this treatment of the mayor was due to orders from on high, or if the media establishment really is that disconnected from the people they're supposed to be keeping informed.

This is the interesting thing, this time it was the voters who broke the story, but this fact is downplayed, especially by the Ford's in favour of their propaganda program against certain media sources. This is funny since the Sun was the first to report the social media frenzy.

Last edited:
For some reason, people judge right-wingers and left-wingers differently. When right-wingers get involved with sex, drugs or stupidity, many people are ready to over-look it and say "hey, they're regular guys, just like us". But when a left-winger does the same thing, everybody is all over them yelling for their resignation. It also appears that left-wingers will not support their politicians, when they do or say stupid or embarrassing things, while right-wingers are more tuned into their agenda, and will overlook a bad politician, as long as he keeps towing the party line. Things like integrity, honesty and especially accountability, don't have much value. If you lower their taxes and stick to the right-wing agenda, they'll overlook just about anything.

I completely disagree. First of all, Rob Ford is an anomaly - most right-wingers, such as the CPC, have plenty of scandals that stick to them and destroy their careers. It might just be the nature of these scandals (mostly spending and corruption scandals) that bothers voters, but Ford is pretty much alone in weathering major personal controversies untouched. Its not a popular theory here on UT and I was lambasted as a liar for the anecdote I brought up last time, but I still contend that this is entirely due to Ford being unfairly maligned and targeted in the media. If there wasn't a concerted effort by the Toronto Star, among other media outlets, to prevent Ford's election by any means, these controversies probably would have brought Ford down. Problem is, there have been so many faux-controversies and unwarranted attacks on Ford that its almost become reflexive to just dismiss any subsequent controversy. Like I mentioned before, all of my family and friends, most who strongly dislike Ford, did not believe the crack allegations.

As well, I'm not sure how you can say left-wingers are judged more harshly. Remember that Jack Layton was caught in a rub-and-tug (which is about as bad as, if not worse than, smoking crack) and his support subsequently went up. Furthermore, with the exception of The Toronto Sun, most media outlets went along with the notion that this was an unwarranted smear attack, even though police notes clearly indicated Layton was not getting a typical massage.

It has nothing to do with left-wingers or right-wingers. The politicians who have a cult of personality (Ford, Layton) can get away with these things.

This is good:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jude-macdonald/concern-raised-by-residents-friday-night-regarding-mayors-actions-not-adequately/10151501619666710

Concern raised by residents Friday night regarding Mayor's actions not adequately addressed
14 August 2013 at 13:31
Dear Councillor:

I am writing you – ccing the City Clerk, the Mayor's Office and the Integrity Commissioner – regarding the situation that arose Friday night, when Mayor Rob Ford attended the Taste of the Danforth in his capacity as CEO of the City of Toronto.

At some point after he arrived, residents on Greenwood expressed concerns about whether the Mayor had been driving under the influence. He answered, "I am not driving. I'm not driving. I'm not driving." This statement can be heard on video recorded that night.

From the time he was seen standing beside his car, to the visit he made to a Tim Horton's, to the eventual arrival of staff and several police officers, the Mayor was accompanied by residents, and was seen to only consume one cup of coffee. During that time, he was described as – also videotaped – swaying, slurring and stumbling.

To date, there is no indication that the Mayor drank after police and staff arrived on the scene. It is worthwhile to point out that, even if such information becomes known, it is not relevant to the situation that first raised alarms on Greenwood.

Through news coverage, I am given to understand that, earlier in the evening, he was to meet with staff from his office. I would expect one or two members from City security – often seen at such events – were also present at that original location. He did not arrive there at the pre-arranged rendezvous time. Instead, staff were alerted much later to the Mayor's activities through trending reports of his appearance on social media. At some point, staff did manage to find the Mayor, and someone ensured that a strong police presence met up with him, stabilizing the chaotic situation.

On Sunday, during his Newstalk 1010 radio show, Mayor Rob Ford stated, "I drove myself down there. I was not drinking. I went out, had a few beers, and I did not drive home. My people met me after that."

All of the above has been extensively documented – through first-hand accounts on Twitter, photographs, video, a podcast of the Mayor's radio show, and through media coverage. If you are not familiar with any of the above, I can supply links to the relevant material.

To date, he has not come out with a statement through his office that adequately addresses the concerns residents expressed on Friday night. If it is a simple matter of the Mayor parking, then drinking somewhere, then returning to his vehicle, it is reasonable for him, in his elected capacity, to respect people's concerns and supply a specific, clear account of where he went and what he consumed to reach the state he was in. Because of the delay in providing such detail, it is also reasonable to expect that this account should be verifiable.

This is a matter that should concern all responsible residents in Toronto. None of our streets are safe, because people do drive while under the influence of substances that render them dangerous behind the wheel. There is no room for it to be condoned, glossed over, minimized or enabled. The mayor should be a leading advocate of responsible driving. He helps contribute to a culture of safety, or to one where we go back to the bad old days, when driving while under the influence was seen as normal, acceptable behaviour.

If he can account for his time after parking, explaining where he went and what, specifically, he imbibed, the time is overdue for him to formally and publicly inform the City and its residents. I do hope that the need to have this dealt with in a professional, non-partisan and fair way is addressed within the official City framework, and by other members of Council, if the Mayor is not prepared to respond as the situation demands.

Thank you for your consideration,

Jude MacDonald
resident, Toronto Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back