News   Jul 19, 2024
 346     1 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 416     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
junior43:

As I've said before elsewhere, if there is a case for a Scarborough subway, the BD extension is it so I am quite happy to see it getting moved forward. That said, personally, I would tie the project to approval of the new GTA revenue streams - money doesn't grow on trees and it has to be funded in *some* way - that would make his worship put the money where his mouth is.

AoD

junior43:

As I've said before elsewhere, if there is a case for a Scarborough subway, the BD extension is it so I am quite happy to see it getting moved forward. That said, personally, I would tie the project to approval of the new GTA revenue streams - money doesn't grow on trees and it has to be funded in *some* way - that would make his worship put the money where his mouth is.

AoD

I'd certainly agree to that - BUT, I'd also like to see these new revenue streams also cover maintenance of the Gardiner and DVP (flood remediation work on the DVP low spots?)

Basically, make it an infrastructure tax, not just transit tax.

Ok, lets talk optics here, even the hardest anti-Ford member on this board must admit if this deal does in fact go through it should strengthen the Ford vote in the burbs making re-election a real possibility.

Optics wise - Ford Nation will vote for Ford regardless. Anyone who truly cares about the facts will easily discover who pushed for this from the very beginning (Stintz, assuming she is a real candidate).

Besides, we still need to know how the $1B is raised - do you think Ford will get credit if there is a special "Scarborough Levy" to pay for it? Or if taxes of any kind are needed to be raised and Ford publicly disavows the plan?

On the other hand, if Ford pulls a rabbit out of his gut and manages to get this extra $1B paid for by the province, then yes - he will get that credit, no question.

Last edited:
junior43:

I'd certainly agree to that - BUT, I'd also like to see these new revenue streams also cover maintenance of the Gardiner and DVP (flood remediation work on the DVP low spots?)

Basically, make it an infrastructure tax, not just transit tax.

Well if you do that the amount and rate would be different - and if those living in Scarborough want to increase the taxload further to cover highway upgrades and associated infrastructure of that sort, I am all for it.

AoD

junior43:

Well if you do that the amount and rate would be different - and if those living in Scarborough want to increase the taxload further to cover highway upgrades and associated infrastructure of that sort, I am all for it.

AoD

I just figure we're going to fight and argue over the transit tax now. And we'll be doing it all over again in probably 12 months when we have to decide how to pay for what ever choice is made on the Gardiner. Get at all out of the way now and address itunder one program (forgot to mention, bike lanes would be included too.) Call it a true transit tax, but include all forms of transit - auto, TTC/GO, bikes.

Ford Nation will vote for Ford regardless. Anyone who truly cares about the facts will easily discover who pushed for this from the very beginning.

Love how 'Ford Nation' is always portrayed as this big dumb mass that can't understand the 'facts' that the enlighted anti-Ford people can. How conveniently elitist.

Just a reminder who 'Ford Nation' was in the last election. Most of Toronto.

The opinions in this forum represent a tiny downtown circle in the larger Toronto.

Screen%2520shot%25202013-07-11%2520at%25209.45.28%2520AM.png

If you don't agree with the opinions of the tiny downtown core, you're somehow not in touch with what this city needs?

Oh there we are, the simplification of the issues into a downtown/suburban wedge that you know who would love for you to believe. And if one doesn't want to be portrayed as a "mass", one wouldn't have self-labelled themselves as one.

Let's put it another way - the "real, credible" Toronto also voted for a council that turned against Rob Ford in many ways.

AoD

Last edited:
Tulse:

Actually how will Rob Ford feel about an new source of revenue for a line in Scarborough instead of this talk about doing it through "efficiencies" and private sector miracles?

AoD

Love how 'Ford Nation' is always portrayed as this big dumb mass that can't understand the 'facts' that the enlighted anti-Ford people can. How conveniently elitist.

The opinions in this forum represent a tiny downtown circle in the larger Toronto.

If you don't agree with the opinions of the tiny downtown core, you're somehow not in touch with what this city needs?

First of all - I live in Scarborough.

Second of all - by Ford Nation I mean the hardcore supporters who think he's our "Greatest Mayor Ever" and call in to his silly radio show (the one's not named Dave :) ) and don't care that he smokes crack with criminals. Not all people who voted for Ford first time around are Ford Nation. Many of them just voted for whoever the conservative candidate was. Some would simply not vote for a gay man. Watch this support evaporate when a credible conservative candidate emerges.

Last edited:
hawc:

Please read bobob911's more nuanced response - and on top of that, I would suggest that you follow GraphicMatt's excellent analyses on the voting patterns of ward councillors.

AoD

What percentage of the population lives inside the wards who voted for Smitherman versus those who don't? The "core" (or rather old City of Toronto) may be small geographically, but it is extremely dense population-wise. Territory tells you nothing (after all, Mitt Romney won the largest acreage in the last US election...).

And, of course, it is simply false to imply that Ford won "most of Toronto", as he failed to get a majority (47% of the vote).

Looks like Ford got Scarborough its subway...another major coup, especially after all the Ford haters said it couldn’t be done, re-election is in the bag.

Sorry man, but Ford didn't do anything for the Scarborough subway. A group of counsellors who weren't aligned with the Mayor asked Metrolinx to consider building a subway instead of renovating the SRT. Ford had nothing to do with it. In short, they did in a few weeks what Ford couldn't do in 3 years. So why don't you call Karen Stintz and the other members of council and thank them for bringing the subway to Scarborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back