398     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 509     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, but up until the Rob Ford part you could have put in Smitherman's name.

As for laying charges.... if Rob Ford threw something at you, I bet you a lot of money that you would press charges. So don't be so quick to call others "hypocritical".

Can't speak for Irishmonk, but I've had people attempt to assault me didn't bother calling the police. I didn't feel threatened and there was no point in waisting our money having the police intervene. And I certainly wouldn't call the police over a drink that someone threw in my direction. That is just ridiculous.

I've heard those anecdotes too, but as much as I hate the man I really couldn't care less if he was paying for sex.

If this new story involves prostitutes, I still think Ford can stall and ignore that one as well. There's still a bunch of angry ideological, simple-minded, Sun reading right-wing types that still won't get over allegations that Jack Layton was found in a "rub and tug" massage parlour (facts on that one are murky) and living in public housing (which in that case is entirely unfair given it was a co-op, and they paid market rent). If they went after Layton over that, it would be amusing to see Ford Nation dance trying to explain Ford's behaviour if the basis of this new rumour ends up becoming the new story. Hiring prostitutes? That's not good if that's the case (and that's a big if, given that this is just a rumour with nothing to base it on). But the final nail in the coffin? Don't count on it.

I really think the final nail in Rob Ford's time as mayor won't come until November 2014.

Last edited:
oh goody. I love the calm before the storm. I also love seeing how wrong my guesses are. here's my un-lock pick of the week for the nature of the latest Ford scandal: hair sample test results.

Can't speak for Irishmonk, but I've had people attempt to assault me didn't bother calling the police. I didn't feel threatened and there was no point in waisting our money having the police intervene. And I certainly wouldn't call the police over a drink that someone threw in my direction. That is just ridiculous.
Yeah, but... I'm certainly no fan of the Mayor, but in general, I do think that "assaults" against elected officials need to be dealt with less informally, possibly for the same reason assaults against police officers are treated more harshly: perpetrators of assault against these so called "authority figures" are often considered more dangerous, since they've violated the mythical respect for authority and overcome the inhibitions with which we're generally been conditioned.

Not that I'm claiming any of these authorities deserve unearned respect, especially when some of them have treated their own position with contempt, but I personally feel that at the very least the "Mayoralty" deserves at least a modicum of respect even if the Mayor deserves none.

Then again, I'm a wimp. :)

I If they went after Layton over that, it would be amusing to see Ford Nation dance trying to explain Ford's behaviour if the basis of this new rumour ends up becoming the new story. Hiring prostitutes? That's not good if that's the case (and that's a big if, given that this is just a rumour with nothing to base it on). But the final nail in the coffin? Don't count on it.

If - and its a big if - unsubstantiated prostitution rumors are proven true I don't see a dilemma for Ford Nation.

Remember in the Layton sex scandal - Jack was found in a rub-and-tug parlor that Police were investigating for underage sex-slaves. There is no question that Layton was a client of this parlour and if the masseuse was indeed underage this would mean that Layton was a pedophile.

Also lets not forget that at the very same time Layton was patronizing massage parlors - Jack was conducting a crusade against lap-dancing and private VIP rooms in strip clubs which he called "rape rooms" so this means that Layton was a hypocrite.

Finally - lets not forget that when confronted with the facts of the police raid years later - instead of taking responsibility and owning up to his actions and asking for forgiveness (as Rob Ford quickly did when the Florida DUI charges surfaced) Jack Layton LIED about his involvement claiming that his massage was therapeutic and that the Velvet Touch Massage Parlor was a "community health center". Olivia Chow (who had to know better) repeated the same lies to the voting public.

Last edited:
Not that I'm claiming any of these authorities deserve unearned respect, especially when some of them have treated their own position with contempt, but I personally feel that at the very least the "Mayoralty" deserves at least a modicum of respect even if the Mayor deserves none.

Then again, I'm a wimp. :)

Yeah I agree with you. TPS needs to lay charges so people don't think its okay to assault elected officials just because you don't like them.

But I still don't approve of Ford supporting pressing charges. He could have easily taken the moral high ground and forgive the lady, even though TPS would lay charges anyways. Instead he just showed how little of a man he is, getting all upset over a drink that almost hit him.

If someone unearths some sort of sex scandal I don't think that will move many people, most don't care about what one does in private. If Ford is (was) involved in an affair or some kind of pay-for-play action that would all seem very anti-climatic after the chaos of the past year and a half, at least to my mind.

Giambrone likely took a hit (pulling a Bill Clinton didn't help) but he dropped out of the running so quickly that we'll never know how it really would have affected him in the long run.

Remember in the Layton sex scandal - Jack was found in a rub-and-tug parlor that Police were investigating for underage sex-slaves. There is no question that Layton was a client of this parlour and if the masseuse was indeed underage this would mean that Layton was a pedophile.

Finally - lets not forget that when confronted with the facts of the police raid years later... Jack Layton LIED about his involvement claiming that his massage was therapeutic and that the Velvet Touch Massage Parlor was a "community health center".

Wow. Just... wow. You've established a new low. Tell us, Peepers - was he living in subsidized housing at the time, too?

She knew full well that OneCity wasn't going to work out. Nobody did. It was a savvy political game. Expect it to reappear in her 2014 mayor campaign.

Either

1) Stintz supports Transit City and has been playing political games for the past 2.5 years by adding uncertainty and delays to transit plans just to give the appearance that she wants to help Scarborough.

2) Stintz wants a subway to Scarborough and has no skills to actually accomplish this.

Either

1) Stintz supports Transit City and has been playing political games for the past 2.5 years by adding uncertainty and delays to transit plans just to give the appearance that she wants to help Scarborough.

2) Stintz wants a subway to Scarborough and has no skills to actually accomplish this.

or

3) She created a plan that incorporated most of Transit City with a few modifications and added in a bunch of other transit projects that had been discussed over the past decades to guage the public's reaction/recpetion to the kind of investment in large scale transit expansion that this city needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back