News   Jul 23, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 259     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 879     1 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

It looks like somebody is standing up. This is even better than Smitherman's own FordonFord.ca website.
Poor choice of pictures by them. Those b&w close-ups make Ford look a lot more like Newt Gingrich than Ford.

One of Rob Ford's suggestions to save money is to stop watering the city's trees and plants.

Check out The Fixer to see if we follow his suggestion across Toronto, by clicking on this link.
The caption reads: "Many of the young trees in recently opened Lakeshore Village Park, on Garnett James Rd., near Lake Shore Blvd. W. and Islington Ave., didn't get enough water over the scorching summer and appear to be dying." So it appears Ford would be continuing Miller's policy.

Do our trees and plants even get watered to begin with?
I'm guessing no.

Surely though, claiming the right to make racist and homophobic comments, and doing so, is a banning offence.
Up to the mods who they want to ban and for what.

That is not what you said.

What you said was "If someone wants to say something racist or homophobic, they can".

I'm not sure kook maudit is fully correct. One might be able to comment it would be better if nobody were gay - in some contexts. I'm really not sure how one could ever say that "my race has qualities which elevate it above all the others" ... though perhaps if it something really mundane about ability of the skin to burn, or not to burn in the sun. It's all about context.

Surely though, claiming the right to make racist and homophobic comments, and doing so, is a banning offence.

i did not claim that the private environment of this board had to be tolerant of such remarks, only stated that they are legal in the canadian public sphere.

surely, though, calling for the banning of someone who has listed two comments as rhetorical examples, and who has totally and completely disavowed them before doing so -- and severely criticized them afterward -- is a ridiculous thing to do, and is ultimately symbolic of a petty and controlling disposition.

i mean, you're not even willing to, like, visually see certain word combinations?

I'm really not sure how one could ever say that "my race has qualities which elevate it above all the others" ... though perhaps if it something really mundane about ability of the skin to burn, or not to burn in the sun. It's all about context.

i didn't say they could truthfully say it, or that the claim would have any merit -- just that you're allowed to physically mouth the words.

That is not what you said.

What you said was "If someone wants to say something racist or homophobic, they can".

I'm not sure kook maudit is fully correct. One might be able to comment it would be better if nobody were gay - in some contexts. I'm really not sure how one could ever say that "my race has qualities which elevate it above all the others" ... though perhaps if it something really mundane about ability of the skin to burn, or not to burn in the sun. It's all about context.

What Kool Maudit and I said are the same thing. Everyone has the right to say what they want. It's not against the law to say homophobic or racist gestures.

Context means nothing. You can be as racist as the gentlemen in Mississippi Burning if you want. As long as you don't threaten a person you are free to say what you want.

Find me some legal documentation that says you can't say racist, homophobic, or other hateful things if you feel like it.

surely, though, calling for the banning of someone who has listed two comments as rhetorical examples, and who has totally and completely disavowed them before doing so -- and severely criticized them afterward -- is a ridiculous thing to do, and is ultimately symbolic of a petty and controlling disposition.
I wasn't referring to your post ...

I was referring to Clifford who seems to be back-pedalling from his earlier comments that were both bigoted (homophobic) and racist. Who now seems to be trying to turn his justification of making those comments look more like a philosophical debate about whether one can say those comments on the streets (rather than the board) ... perhaps in some hope of us forgetting he made the comments in the first place.

Obviously no one is going to be subjected to hate charges for making racist comments to your neighbour over the fence ... though it's not likely to win you any friends in most neighbourhoods of Toronto. But that's not what we've been talking about, is it.

I'm not back-pedalling anything. Point out what I mentioned that was bigoted, homophobic or racist. I'm still waiting. All I ever said is I support everyone's right to say what is on their mind. Even hateful thoughts are allowed to be expressed. We'd be living in a totalitarian society if the government controlled our minds and actions and that seems to be what you're supporting. You sound very anti-Canadian.

We were talking about the streets from the get go. I wasn't referring to this board, exclusively.

"Obviously no one is going to be subjected to hate charges for making racist comments to your neighbour over the fence ... though it's not likely to win you any friends in most neighbourhoods of Toronto. But that's not what we've been talking about, is it."

Where have you been? That is exactly what we've been talking about. Society in general, not this forum.

Some ppl spend too much time online....or on UT.

In my real world life, I encounter honest racists etc daily, even hourly. Many are recent immigrants....

RF's comment about Asians? My Asian co-workers are proud to be grouped as "hard working."

I'd rather be dead than live in an Nfitz-dictated world.

Some ppl spend too much time online....or on UT.

In my real world life, I encounter honest racists etc daily, even hourly. Many are recent immigrants....

RF's comment about Asians? My Asian co-workers are proud to be grouped as "hard working."

I'd rather be dead than live in an Nfitz-dictated world.

Who are you kidding, we ALL spend too much time on UT! lol How can you not, with all the sexy development going on in this city?

^Show me someone who does not stereotype (privately or publicly, whether sober or drunk, in jest or in sincerity) about race and I'll show you a dead man!

Every one of us is racist. Human nature.

Socially acceptable according to whom? YOU. (But in Orthodox Jewish, Amish, Mormon and many more sects, absolutely! They make up a significant portion of the population! Not everyone is on your twitter feed or social circle!)

Last edited:
^Show me someone who does not stereotype (privately or publicly, whether sober or drunk, in jest or in sincerity) about race and I'll show you a dead man!

Every one of us is racist. Human nature.
Stereotype based solely on race? I certainly don't think I do. I might admit that I might subconsciously do it based on gender, language, age, or even culture ... but I don't see what race has to do with it.

Forum member "Clifford" has been banned for his highly offensive comments.

And a friendly reminder: the best way to deal with any trolls is to ignore them. Getting offended and replying simply gives them what they want.

^Everything.

Show me a human who isn't a racist (in some way no matter how unconscious) and I'll show you a liar!
It's unfortunate in this day and age that some people believe that they can use garbage philosophy like this to defend racists like Rob Ford (to bring this back on topic).

If he simply would have said that he shouldn't say stuff like that, and he wasn't thinking ... fine.

But he keeps going with the stereotyping and defending it. It seems he is so racist that he isn't even aware that stereotyping is wrong.

We're not talking subconscious thoughts or slips of the tongue here. He has been told many times that saying things like that is racist ... and yet he keeps doing it, almost as if he's doing it just to make a point.

These aren't the consensus building actions that the Mayor of one of the greatest cities in the world and largest governments in the country needs to have.

Back