News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

buzz buzz buzz buzz...you spend most of your time calling him this or that
just like the other candidates platforms now seem to be " I hate ford"
rather than "this is what I think"

David Duke,now he was a racist

Rob Ford, ain't said one racist thing.

Rob Ford isn't a homophobic bigot because of his comments about HIV/AIDS transmission (though that still certainly spoke to his character). Rob Ford is a homophobic bigot because he endorsed pastor Wendell Brereton, a well-known homophobic bigot. When asked about Brereton's comments that “Men who don’t truly comprehend the reality of the importance of the God defined family will dismantle the very ethical fibers (sic) of what a healthy democratic civilization is...," which referred to gay marriage and Smitherman specifically, Ford replied "We’re together. We have the same thoughts."

Therefore, Rob Ford is a homophobic bigot.

Last edited:
the sentiment is already there,if it's the majority of people that feel that way,well....their views should rule.

No. People should vote with their heads and their best interests. Rob Ford doesn't appeal to either of those things.
He appeals to people's base instincts. He picks out spending that he doesn't like as targets for cuts, which would amount to a small fraction of the single percent of the city's budget. This is more than offset by the significant budget shortfall that will be caused by his repeal of the car registration and land transfer tax. He stands poised to grow the deficit, rather than shrink it.

He doesn't like immigration (call it racist or not) because he doesn't feel we're taking care of the ones we have. He's wrong on optics and wrong on numbers. Ask the Chamber of Commerce and they will tell you that immigrants help this city.

This should be about what's right. We need to have a clash of ideas, not a clash of soundbites.

If they vote out of anger, Rob Ford will become mayor.

buzz buzz buzz buzz...you spend most of your time calling him this or that
just like the other candidates platforms now seem to be " I hate ford"
rather than "this is what I think"

David Duke,now he was a racist

Rob Ford, ain't said one racist thing.

I completely agree and I am not a RF supporter though I believe Toronto under RF would fair better than Toronto under David Miller has. I believe Rob's PR issue stem from his physical appearance (ie discrimination) and his poor delivery and unpolished style. As mayor I believe both would improve.

His comments about Asians were actually intended to be more deferential than anything. He was trying to say that we should admire their strong work ethic. His comments regarding immigrants were meant to show that the city is having enormous difficulty absorbing the steady influx of people. Neither had racist undertones. Unfortunately he did not convey either point very well obviously. He clearly has been many mistakes in the past. Are these errors in judgment that we are all prone to from time to time and can forgive or are they terminal character flaws that will impact his ability to lead a city of 2,500,000 people? That's for you to decide.

I support Rocco Rossi. I believe he has a genuine desire to promote the same kind of accountability at City Hall that RF is promoting with a more sophisticated style.

Last edited:
exactly.

I don't know much about rossi, I'm really fascinated in people reacting to ford,when he is reflecting (in the polls at least) what many torontonians are feeling.
my tone.although difficult to convey on a forum like this is lighthearted.

I would really like somebody to post why he is seemingly winning ?

it's rare for a candidate to be so far ahead.

other than "he's racist and so is toronto" that don't cut it especially if 40 to 50% of toronto immigrated here

Last edited:
Rob Ford isn't a homophobic bigot because of his comments about HIV/AIDS transmission (though that still certainly spoke to his character). Rob Ford is a homophobic bigot because he endorsed pastor Wendell Brereton, a well-known homophobic bigot. When asked about Brereton's comments that “Men who don’t truly comprehend the reality of the importance of the God defined family will dismantle the very ethical fibers (sic) of what a healthy democratic civilization is...," which referred to gay marriage and Smitherman specifically, Ford replied "We’re together. We have the same thoughts."

the pope and many christians have the same thoughts

I agree. He's the best mayor we've had since Crombie. Unfortunately, he may be an aberration in post mega-city politics. If Ford wins it will be Suburban Regressives 2: Urban Progressives 1. Maybe some day the Lastman and Ford lovers will finally get the Detroit they've always wanted--lots of nice empty freeways and great infrastructure for a city of 1 million.

On the contrary. It's the hothouse flowers of the former City of Toronto who want to board up the gates, pry up all the paving stones, and stick everyone for ten bucks each and every time they even THINK about violating the sacred environs of the Humber who will turn Toronto into another Detroit. People don't stop coming to, working, and spending in a downtown because you make it easier for them to do so -- they quit showing up when it make it nigh IMPOSSIBLE for them to do so in any kind of a timely and convenient fashion and make them feel about as welcome as a dose of the clap whenver they do.

Jobs and shopping don't HAVE to be situated in downtown Toronto; there are PLENTY of people outside downtown (MOST of us, in fact, by a factor of about 8:1 GTA-wide), and the jobs and the shops will go where the money is if the money can't get to them, believe me. We've seen it elsewhere but we've managed to avoid it so far. Tear down the highways, put up the tollbooths, and watch the place dry up and blow away.

Of course it's not a coincidence. He was referring to the refugees. That's the point. Anti-refugee does not equal anti-immigrant. In fact, most immigrants are anti-refugee. It has nothing to do with race but everything to do with fairness and money.

Off-topic, but refugees have little to no money, and are in much more dire straits than "economic immigrants". That's why they're called refugees. Your presumptions, like your libertarianism, is based on fiction. ;)

Oh, I forgot that one ...

There's just so much evidence over the years to the character - or lack of it - of this individual. I don't understand how any self-respecting person could stomach voting someone with such perverted morals.

Yeah, and they're insular homophobic assholes too...so what?

I don't disagree. but, many people are christian here in toronto.so,likely many agree with him
if they didn't..he wouldn't be so popular in the polls.surely, you have to acknowledge tha?t
I'm not saying I agree with him,but, seemingly most people do

but nobody answered why he is so far ahead in the polls despite all the negative things you can say about him

Last edited:
Off-topic, but refugees have little to no money, and are in much more dire straits than "economic immigrants". That's why they're called refugees. Your presumptions, like your libertarianism, is based on fiction. ;)

Wasn't that what I said? i.e. Most refugees have little to no money and Ford is against them because of that rather than their races?

And you are stereotyping. There were plenty of very rich Jewish refugees. Even today, some refugee seekers are very rich and are wanted for corruptions in their countries.

Back