News   Jul 26, 2024
 811     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

the pope and many christians have the same thoughts

And I wouldn't vote for the Pope even if he was in the mayoral race.

Ford better keep religion and the state separate. If he said all those things out of his religious beliefs, then I wouldn't even consider voting for him. Sorry, I am all for religious freedom, but I don't want to live in a state ruled by priests.

The thing I like about Rob Ford is he's the only one that comes across as 100% Canadian, eh?!

Know what I'm saying?
I have no clue what your trying to say. To be Canadian is to be a lying wife-beating drug-abusing racist bigot with a weight problem?

Did I miss our invasion by Alabama?

The fact about Rob Ford is that the guy actually believes what he's saying. On the other hand, he happens to be an ignorant buffoon. And I don't mean that in a small, petty, or mean way. That's just simply what he is. He doesn't like to understand issues, he's not a fan of things that are different, and he just shoots from the hip, or -- as his supporters say -- keeping it real. Real dumb.

He's a simpleton man-child with a sense of accomplishment...but he has managed to tap into a lot of voter anger.

But voting out of anger is not voting in the city's best interest.

That's the message that everyone should communicate, day after day, until October 25th.

I would agree with you without the negative tune. He IS a "simpleton man-child with a sense of accomplishment". And that's what voters want. Voters don't want a grandeur green strategy, voters want a blue bin on their lawn within two days rather than two months. And that's what Ford delivered. Voters don't want a politician who is polished, voters want a politician who is not going to waste their money on parties. And that's what Ford delivered. And voters are sick and tired of people telling them what their best interests are instead of letting them decide for themselves.

The voters may very well be wrong, but that's the beauty of democracy.

I think voters who are also simpleton adult-children with a sense of accomplishment want what he's offering. Lots of voters do see the bigger picture and don't want that. That the problem with democracy. Everyone can vote.

I think voters who are also simpleton adult-children with a sense of accomplishment want what he's offering. Lots of voters do see the bigger picture and don't want that. That the problem with democracy. Everyone can vote.

Eh, that's kind of the whole point of democracy. So what? Even democracy is a bad word now? :)

I didn't say that. One person/one vote is not a perfect system. But nothing is perfect. It just always drives me insane when I hear voters interviewed who don't even know who is running, what their platform is, what the issues are, etc. but hey, they're going to exercise their democratic right to vote. I know people who have voted for someone simply because they had the opportunity to shake that candidates' hand. And some people vote for a candidate simply because that person is leading and they want to back a winner. No thought, no informed decision-making, just marking an x wherever. Drives. me. mental.

And I wouldn't vote for the Pope even if he was in the mayoral race.

Ford better keep religion and the state separate. If he said all those things out of his religious beliefs, then I wouldn't even consider voting for him. Sorry, I am all for religious freedom, but I don't want to live in a state ruled by priests.

I 100% agree
here's where I get confused,it's been said that at least half of toronto is now made up of people who were not born here. I assume that means they are from countries where either A. they do not have separation of church and state (most islamic states literally derive many of their laws directly from religious texts),therefore,it's either customary or part of their religious views to likely not be very open to such things as homosexuality,females receiving equal rights etc...then it would follow that they would maintain those beliefs while living in north america. therefore,wouldn't it follow that if they maintain their beliefs/customs/religious idealogies that they would side with political figures here whom are expressing the same views such as fundamentalist christians or people who are on the right,so to speak,politically?

B. immigrants whom are from eastern europe let's say,where gay parades/pride have literally been cancelled due to public dissent recently, wouldn't it be safe to say that their views may also be in line with that of the political right?

I am aware thinking that all people that immigrate here maintain the customs/views of their country of origin or that all people of a religion feel the same on issue. I'm mainly WONDERING if this would be the case.

in essence,as immigration rises,my sense is people whom have a immigrated here from countries where there is no separation between church and state and countries where they may not be as progressive in their political/social views as we have been in toronto/north america that slowly there will be a return or rolling back of you will of morals and values we have fought hard to establish i.e. equality.

again, I'm asking a question..I'm not asserting this is true.

Last edited:
I have no clue what your trying to say. To be Canadian is to be a lying wife-beating drug-abusing racist bigot with a weight problem?

Did I miss our invasion by Alabama?

You keep asserting that Rob Ford is a wife beater. The evidence suggest that is not the case. If called for a domestic violence dispute, the police have an obligation to remove and lay charges against the perpetrator. Regardless of the complainant refusing to press charges, or changing story. Only if the complainant shows no signs of injury and lacks any credibility can the police choose not to proceed.

I 100% agree
here's where I get confused,it's been said that at least half of toronto is now made up of people who were not born here. I assume that means they are from countries where either A. they do not have separation of church and state (most islamic states literally derive many of their laws directly from religious texts),therefore,it's either customary or part of their religious views to likely not be very open to such things as homosexuality,females receiving equal rights etc...then it would follow that they would maintain those beliefs while living in north america. therefore,wouldn't it follow that if they maintain their beliefs/customs/religious idealogies that they would side with political figures here whom are expressing the same views such as fundamentalist christians or people who are on the right,so to speak,politically?

B. immigrants whom are from eastern europe let's say,where gay parades/pride have literally been cancelled due to public dissent recently, wouldn't it be safe to say that their views may also be in line with that of the political right?

I am aware thinking that all people that immigrate here maintain the customs/views of their country of origin or that all people of a religion feel the same on issue. I'm mainly WONDERING if this would be the case.

in essence,as immigration rises,my sense is people whom have a immigrated here from countries where there is no separation between church and state and countries where they may not be as progressive in their political/social views as we have been in toronto/north america that slowly there will be a return or rolling back of you will of morals and values we have fought hard to establish i.e. equality.

again, I'm asking a question..I'm not asserting this is true.

A) Very few countries have theocratic governments.
B) Yes, immigrants can be more conservative than Canadians, but very few of them are extremely conservative.

I think your worries are unfounded.

Um, no. Not everyone from the same country thinks the same, nor does everyone within a religion think the same. Unless they come from Stepford.

People like Ford beat the crap out of our institutions, including our messy political structures, and guess what, - they get elected for it. Get set for the Post Politician. Toronto claims another " first ".

You keep asserting that Rob Ford is a wife beater. The evidence suggest that is not the case. If called for a domestic violence dispute, the police have an obligation to remove and lay charges against the perpetrator. Regardless of the complainant refusing to press charges, or changing story. Only if the complainant shows no signs of injury and lacks any credibility can the police choose not to proceed.
Rob Ford's claims regarding this don't add up. Presumably they dropped the charges because they didn't have much chance of conviction. However Ford claims that the charges were dropped when his wife told police that she was making it up. Normally the police would have charged her for this - and this didn't happen. Clearly there's a lot more to this than meets the eye.

If this was a single incident, then perhaps we should ignore it, but given his other run-ins with the police, and a long history of abusive behaviour, then I think this is important.

Um, no. Not everyone from the same country thinks the same, nor does everyone within a religion think the same. Unless they come from Stepford.

I agree to a ceratin point,but, there must be some common beliefs
for example. I see many people from arabic culture,and it's VERY common for men to refuse service from women (medical treatment),so common in fact that it limits the amount of care we can offer as most of our staff is female.

I agree to a ceratin point,but, there must be some common beliefs
for example. I see many people from arabic culture,and it's VERY common for men to refuse service from women (medical treatment),so common in fact that it limits the amount of care we can offer as most of our staff is female.

It is like people who have a dislike or superstition against the number 4 or 13. I have heard of a person who refused a lottery quick-pick lottery ticket because of a certain number, and another customer taking the ticket and winning millions of dollars because of those decisions.

Back