News   Jul 26, 2024
 784     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

^Then there are hundreds of thousands of extremely conservative Torontonians by that definition. From ultra Orthodox Jews to recent Mexican immigrants to Punjabi Sikhs to Evangelical Christians (many of Caribbean background if you pay attention to all those tiny churches dotting the streets of Toronto) to Portuguese Catholics to the Rob Ford's of the city, many are very conservative. Probably more people are conservative than extremely liberal in Toronto--the opposite of Montreal?

Last edited:
Meaning they consider something is a sin that needs to be eliminated. A lot of people have prejudice, but not necessarily strong enough to take action.
So if one thinks that extreme conservatives are a sin and need to be eliminated, that makes them an extreme conservative?

No ... try again.

Meaning they consider something is a sin that needs to be eliminated. A lot of people have prejudice, but not necessarily strong enough to take action.

I think you are failing to distinguish between a fiscal conservative and a social conservative. They are not mutually exclusive.

I would agree with you without the negative tune. He IS a "simpleton man-child with a sense of accomplishment". And that's what voters want. Voters don't want a grandeur green strategy, voters want a blue bin on their lawn within two days rather than two months. And that's what Ford delivered. Voters don't want a politician who is polished, voters want a politician who is not going to waste their money on parties. And that's what Ford delivered. And voters are sick and tired of people telling them what their best interests are instead of letting them decide for themselves.

The voters may very well be wrong, but that's the beauty of democracy.

That's the oddest use of argumentum ad populum I have ever read. Essentially, "Yeah, he's an idiot, but that's okay because people like him."

Silly me. I thought the election was ideas.

The old "divide and conquer"...

He's uniting the suburbs against the city to win the election.
-No money for the waterfront
-Removing streetcars etc...

He just babbling on how he would screw The old city of Toronto but that guy as NO VISION of a united Toronto and that's why I won't vote for him.

That's the oddest use of argumentum ad populum I have ever read. Essentially, "Yeah, he's an idiot, but that's okay because people like him."

Silly me. I thought the election was ideas.

No, the election is about what people want. And that's democracy.

The old "divide and conquer"...

He's uniting the suburbs against the city to win the election.
-No money for the waterfront
-Removing streetcars etc...

He just babbling on how he would screw The old city of Toronto but that guy as NO VISION of a united Toronto and that's why I won't vote for him.

Well, except he is leading in the old city of Toronto as well.

Maybe people in the old city don't care about the pet projects as much as you guys do.

Ah, now that is almost an argument. You're getting there.

Simply saying, "he's popular, so he should win" isn't an argument. Not even Rob Ford will stand up and say "I should be mayor because I'm doing well in the polls now."

Back