News   Jun 26, 2024
 227     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Here are some photos from the Laird Interchange on Highway 6. There's still some work to be done but there's a single lane open each way, as well as all of the off/on ramps

The first two photos are northbound and the third is southbound
IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 839
Presumably it was the next available number .... with 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, and 408 already being spoken for. Numbers were originally just consecutive when they were planned ... it was only later on they started with 416, 417, 427 ... not sure where the heck 420 came from. I've heard there was supposed to be a 408, but not sure what it was.

It shouldn't even be called 409. They should rename it to 401A or 401B. It's pretty much just a tail of the 401. And if you're driving westbound, from the Martin Grove exit, it's as if you're already on the 401, there's no mention of 409 anywhere on the signs. You can see before/after pictures on http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/Hwy409_images.htm

Does anyone know what they're doing in the 403 section that passes through Brantford? Are they just repaving? It seems as if those orange pylons have been there forever now.

Actually, that's one section I wouldn't mind seeing them widen. For through traffic it's a bit of a pain there since it becomes a local highway with a lot of merging traffic, so then you go over to the inside lane and constantly get tailgated by idiots going 130+. Generally speaking, I think all freeways going through urban areas should be three lanes per side.

On another note, does anyone have a picture of the QEW passing through Halton from before they widened it?

Does anyone know what they're doing in the 403 section that passes through Brantford? Are they just repaving? It seems as if those orange pylons have been there forever now.

Actually, that's one section I wouldn't mind seeing them widen. For through traffic it's a bit of a pain there since it becomes a local highway with a lot of merging traffic, so then you go over to the inside lane and constantly get tailgated by idiots going 130+. Generally speaking, I think all freeways going through urban areas should be three lanes per side.

It's just reconstruction and they're also building soundwalls and whatnot for the residents.

I'd like to see the 403 6-laned from the Grand River to Hamilton, or at least Ancaster to Hamilton, as that section is crazy-busy for a 4-lane highway, especially past Highway 6.

It's just reconstruction and they're also building soundwalls and whatnot for the residents.

I'd like to see the 403 6-laned from the Grand River to Hamilton, or at least Ancaster to Hamilton, as that section is crazy-busy for a 4-lane highway, especially past Highway 6.

The 4 lane section through lower Hamilton has got to be one of the most dangerous sections of highway for the entire 400 series. Sharp, frequent turns, lots of traffic, no space between the barrier and left lane in some sections, and poor surface quality too. I'm always extra alert when driving there.

anyone else see the ad in the Toronto Star today for the widening of the 401 from Durham out to highway 35? 10 lanes to Courtice road and 8 to 35.

I wonder if the Province will make it completely controlled access or if they'll do like they did with the Hanlon and keep minor intersections at-grade, but build the roadway itself to 400 series standards. I would think that if the budget gets pinched, that may be an alternative.

Please no. If they're going to do it, they need to do it. Otherwise just upgrade the current highway 7. The at grade changes for the Hanlon were supposed to be temporary, but that clearly didn't work out.

That's correct. But the thought was if the budget gets tight, do they do some at grade interchanges. I say either do it fully, or don't do it

That's correct. But the thought was if the budget gets tight, do they do some at grade interchanges. I say either do it fully, or don't do it

I agree that it should be completely 400-series, but one has to wonder, if other transit priorities in KWC come up, whether or not as opposed to putting in new funding, some money will be taken from Highway 7.

Back