News   Jun 25, 2024
 611     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 493     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 487     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

A dump truck has hit the QEW/Dixie pedestrian bridge currently under construction. No injuries reported.

1718115710657.png

I really cannot fathom the issue of dump truck drivers driving w/the boxes up.

People make mistakes, though that one is pretty consequential........but that it happens more than once a year in the same jurisdiction baffles me.

Many CVORs are as dumb as the bricks they transport. One of these sods once pulled out going 100 kph in front of me in the top lane on the 401.
I can confirm. In my most recent role at work I've been one of the backroom receiving folk and we get all sorts of folk that make you wonder how they are capable of putting their pants on in the morning. They come in to this warehouse area in flip flops, their heads buried in phones or both airpods on, they are unable to answer even the most basic of questions about their load or follow their schedule (Scott's, the soil company, routinely has drivers arrive 6 hours early), they don't bother to put away their electronics before conducting the interaction, sometimes they offload freight off their truck with one hand while continuing to stare at their phone in their other. And if you're expecting them to say things like "Hello" or "goodbye", you've got another thing coming! But probably the most infuriating guy I had was one who went around the back area of the store and demanded that we remove the barricades we were using to block it off and sort through pallets so that he could get through, instead of doing what common sense would dictate and using the public road around the front of the store.

To that end, this result, though infuriating, is entirely in line with expectations. In fact I marvel at dump trucks I see on the road without their basket up!

I really cannot fathom the issue of dump truck drivers driving w/the boxes up.

People make mistakes, though that one is pretty consequential........but that it happens more than once a year in the same jurisdiction baffles me.
Often the beeper is disabled since it is normal to drive with the box up. Problem is when you're driving and not intending to dump

Often the beeper is disabled since it is normal to drive with the box up. Problem is when you're driving and not intending to dump
This looks to be within the limits of a construction zone. If true, a lot of the rules surrounding CMVs are suspended, but I would think site supervision shares the blame.

It likely wouldn't apply in this situation, but if having the box raised at a jobsite is required, there should be a way to have either a secondary alarm or even a ECM sensor linked to either a speed or gear sensor. Having said that, creative minds can figure out a way around most anything. Caught operating a CMV with an altered safety device should be grounds for a CVOR revocation or suspension (maybe it already is; IDK).

This looks to be within the limits of a construction zone. If true, a lot of the rules surrounding CMVs are suspended, but I would think site supervision shares the blame.

It likely wouldn't apply in this situation, but if having the box raised at a jobsite is required, there should be a way to have either a secondary alarm or even a ECM sensor linked to either a speed or gear sensor. Having said that, creative minds can figure out a way around most anything. Caught operating a CMV with an altered safety device should be grounds for a CVOR revocation or suspension (maybe it already is; IDK).
The way I see it is every truck in Ontario is required to be limited to 105 (afaik it applies to out of province trucks but let's ignore that) It's a huge fine to bypass that and very obvious that it has been bypassed (trucks going 110 etc) if they're going to break laws in the most obvious ways I doubt they'd have an issue bypassing a 2nd or 3rd nanny device.

I agree it should be a huge fine!

A dump truck has hit the QEW/Dixie pedestrian bridge currently under construction. No injuries reported.

View attachment 571419

That is at Applewood Plaza west end. With the QEW close and the Service Roads, traffic will be backup for miles in all directions. Will be plugging Dixie exit to go north to the Queensway or south to the Lakeshore and the same for Cawthra exit. Now have to wait until a mobile crane in too reposition the bridge

You can pretty much get away from 10 km/h above whatever speed limit posted in Ontario. The cops won't spend their time writing you up with a high chance it'll be tossed in court. Just don't do the same with the speed cameras. Those machines have all the time in the world.
Indeed. I just received my first ever speed camera ticket. $93. I was apparently doing 54 kph in a 40 on Kingston Road near Woodbine, so deservedly so, at well over 10 kph. That camera must catch hundreds of cars a day, as the average speed on Kingston Road is well above 50 kph.... for now.

Here's a map of all the speed cameras.

For those drivers that want to drive from 403EB to Mohawk/Rousseaux...

I find it odd that it's still officially Mohawk but signed (logically) as Rousseaux. The Ancaster section of Mohawk should be renamed Rousseaux , considering it becomes that to the west anyways, and since the Hamilton Mountain section is now severed.

Indeed. I just received my first ever speed camera ticket. $93. I was apparently doing 54 kph in a 40 on Kingston Road near Woodbine, so deservedly so, at well over 10 kph. That camera must catch hundreds of cars a day, as the average speed on Kingston Road is well above 50 kph.... for now.

Here's a map of all the speed cameras.

If the speed limit was 50km/h, then you would be 5km/h over. The city artificially lowered the speed limit when the road is designed for 50+km/h speed.

If the speed limit was 50km/h, then you would be 5km/h over. The city artificially lowered the speed limit when the road is designed for 50+km/h speed.
It's not artificial; it's for safety. Agreed that some changes should coincide with the reduction. But we can all read the speed limit signs

Back