News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 549     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Well, Im not convinced fitting large amounts of people into these wide open spaces would be an insurmountable task. Especially not the almost 60 km long Martin Goodman Trail. And if it was, so what? Why must the entire rest of the city make sacrifices so that a relatively small portion of the population can go running in a public right of way? Why shouldn't they be the ones expected to make sacrifices? Especially considering that it is possible to donate to charitable causes without engaging in any sports at all.
Traffic delays today were minimal.

I certainly drive through there, and it's an inconvenience. And I'll never participate. But get a grip!

Why must we make sacrifices for you?
It's pretty disingenuous to frame maintaining the status quo as making sacrifices. And why single me out? 10,000 people is a trivial amount when compared to the population of the city who don't participate.

What exactly am I asking of you, except not to run in public infrastructure? I'm not stopping you from running or collecting money for charity.

Now that the province is responsible for both highways
Hasn't happened yet. Bill 154 ('New Deal for Toronto Act') empowers the government to discuss with the city "the possibility of [both highways] becoming provincial responsibilities" and received Royal Assent in December. I can find nothing further, including any related Orders-in-Council, press releases, etc. It's a big deal, including matters of available law enforcement, road maintenance contracts, facilities, etc. plus lawyers on both sides hammering out matters such as title, due diligence, etc.

I imagine there is a lot to discuss.

Reactions: PL1
Hasn't happened yet. Bill 154 ('New Deal for Toronto Act') empowers the government to discuss with the city "the possibility of [both highways] becoming provincial responsibilities" and received Royal Assent in December. I can find nothing further, including any related Orders-in-Council, press releases, etc. It's a big deal, including matters of available law enforcement, road maintenance contracts, facilities, etc. plus lawyers on both sides hammering out matters such as title, due diligence, etc.

I imagine there is a lot to discuss.
I hope that Queen’s Park is paying for this latest major rebuild.

I hope that Queen’s Park is paying for this latest major rebuild.
yes.

Right now the agreement is that the City will continue to administer the reconstruction contract until the details of the transfer are completed, but that the province will pay the bill in the interim for the City.

Thanks, and that’s a smart alternative, but it doesn’t work for me. As is often the case with transit, it’s the first and final mile where we’re let down. My start is near Riverdale Farm and my final destination is Lakeshore Promenade marina. I have a lot to carry and can’t lump it all. IMO, we need to stop closing our highways for fundraising. We don’t do this with our railways or airports, stopping trains or planes to make way for cyclists or runners.
Laughing at the idea of closing all the runways at Pearson for a Picnic for Parkinsons or something. It seems like part of the point is to cause maximum disruption to bring attention to the event raising funds. It probably makes more sense to close sections of Lakeshore than to close the Gardiner/DVP.

Laughing at the idea of closing all the runways at Pearson for a Picnic for Parkinsons or something.
A Picnic against Parkinson's makes more sense. Who beyond big pharma and the Reaper himself wants to run for the disease?

I was wrong though, as we have reduced airport use for fundraising. I think it would be a hoot to ride or run around the airport.

In the UK they have a midnight run at Heathrow.

I think next year I might sign up for the ride for brain health. Decades ago I rode the Becel ride for heart on the same route, IIRC. Of course as a student I had no idea of the disruption the event was causing. And of course we now know that Canola Oil is anything but good for our hearts. If you can't beat them, join them, and it does look like fun.

As someone who lives downtown, I find the one annual bike event on the Gardiner and DVP much less disruptive than running events (there are three of those a year). There’s no impact to TTC surface routes, no bike lanes are barricaded, pedestrians aren’t affected.

Toronto closes the two highways for two weekends in the spring and fall for maintenance as it’s much safer for work crews, especially with the limited shoulders and lanes. I can’t see the MTO not doing those.

MTO does maintenance on all other 400-series highways without weekend long closures, usually through rolling overnight lane restrictions.

I'm just speculating as who knows how MTO will treat the Gardiner and DVP - but I imagine they would want to extend similar maintenance practices to them as they do for all other provincial roadways.

MTO does maintenance on all other 400-series highways without weekend long closures, usually through rolling overnight lane restrictions.

I'm just speculating as who knows how MTO will treat the Gardiner and DVP - but I imagine they would want to extend similar maintenance practices to them as they do for all other provincial roadways.
I suppose MTO could go to a more expensive approach.

To add my two cents - is Toronto a "world class" city or not?
Not. And it needn't be. Skip the bread and circuses, and just make the city work well for its residents.

World class cities are like London, UK, where the museum are free and there's tons of things to do. In 2022 I visited London for ten days, and here's everything I saw, not including the shops like Hatchards, Harrods, F&M, etc. and a fun train ride out to tour and lunch at Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey).

Natural History Museum
British Museum
Victoria and Albert Museum
Kensington Palace Tour (and high tea)
Museum of the Home
Cutty Sark
Royal Geographical Society’s Shackleton's legacy exhibit
Royal Observatory Greenwich
National Maritime Museum
RAF Museum
Thames river Uber boat
HMS Belfast
St. Paul’s Cathedral (climbed right to the top)
London Monument (great fire)
London Transport Museum
Woolwich Arsenal (had to see https://sumpmagazine.com/amc-plaque.htm)
Museum of London
Charles Dickens Museum
Science Museum
Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
Greenwich Market
Portobello Road Market
Camden Market
Borough Market
Covent Garden Market
Little Venice (had coffee and a tart - not that sort - on a canal boat cafe)
Duchess Theatre (saw The Play That Goes Wrong | MISCHIEF)

If you want to make Toronto a world class city of this level, we need better transit, free museums and a lot more to do.

And back to the highways..... you can't be a world class city when your visitors can't get anywhere in the GTA by road once they're outside the urban core.

Last edited:
Not. And it needn't be. Skip the bread and circuses, and just make the city work well for its residents.

World class cities are like London, UK, where the museum are free and there's tons of things to do. In 2022 I visited London for ten days, and here's everything I saw, not including the shops like Harrods, F&M, etc. and a fun train ride out to tour and lunch at Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey).

Natural History Museum
British Museum
Victoria and Albert Museum
Kensington Palace Tour (and high tea)
Museum of the Home
Cutty Sark
Royal Geographical Society’s Shackleton's legacy exhibit
Royal Observatory Greenwich
National Maritime Museum
RAF Museum
Thames river Uber boat
HMS Belfast
St. Paul’s Cathedral (climbed right to the top)
London Monument (great fire)
London Transport Museum
Woolwich Arsenal (had to see https://sumpmagazine.com/amc-plaque.htm)
Museum of London
Charles Dickens Museum
Science Museum
Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
Greenwich Market
Portobello Road Market
Camden Market
Borough Market
Covent Garden Market
Little Venice (had coffee and a tart - not that sort - on a canal boat cafe)
Duchess Theatre (saw The Play That Goes Wrong | MISCHIEF)

If you want to make Toronto a world class city of this level, we need better transit, free museums and a lot more to do.

And back to the highways..... you can't be a world class city when your visitors can't get anywhere in the GTA by road once they're outside the urban core.
Missed the Churchill War Rooms (Imperial War Museum). Oh well, gives you something to go back for.

Missed the Churchill War Rooms (Imperial War Museum). Oh well, gives you something to go back for.
I did those with my wife on her birthday in 2002. She still picks on me for it. Honestly, I think with my trips to London in 1988, 1993, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2022 I think I've just about done the city of my birth. Though I have semi-promised to taking my live theatre loving offspring to London in Feb 2025 to see some shows. That's their reading week and flights to London in winter are cheap. After that, our next UK trip will be northward to York to see the dales and ride the steam trains to Pickering before driving northward.

Back