News   Jun 25, 2024
 31     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 341     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 928     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

It's not artificial; it's for safety. Agreed that some changes should coincide with the reduction. But we can all read the speed limit signs
It is artificial when the road was/is designed for higher speed limit. If it's for safety then lower it to 30km/h, but we know that would not fly because each road has their specific role (laneway, local, arterial, limited access).

If the speed limit was 50km/h, then you would be 5km/h over. The city artificially lowered the speed limit when the road is designed for 50+km/h speed.
Well sure, but I was passing Norway public school and can read the signs. I earned that ticket fair and square.

I've seen peak speed cameras for years going to Switzerland a lot to see my (awesome) in-laws. I would love to see peak speed camera here, with fees tied to income capabilities.

I once got a questionnaire for going 90 in a 30 near the border in Geneva. I didn't really the drop in speed was so severe, and I was focused on trying to figure out where to go. My mistake, bill was only 200 CHF, plus 3 month ban, since I didn't make much money at that point. I appreciated the system though, it made a lot of sense, and the driving culture is just so much better than here, because of the enforcement there.

It is artificial when the road was/is designed for higher speed limit. If it's for safety then lower it to 30km/h, but we know that would not fly because each road has their specific role (laneway, local, arterial, limited access).
I don't agree with lane narrowing. They've done it in some areas and it's a MESS in the winter

It's clear by now that it's much more important to alter the physical road design to control speeds rather than install cameras. Cameras are at best a band aid on the issue.
I disagree, you effectively turn a 2 lane arterial road into a 1 lane road when it rains snows or has slush on the ground

And four lane roads became two lanes throughout the region when we had that big snowstorm a few years back (when the municipalities dropped the ball on plowing). All it means is we should do a better job maintaining the roads instead of so drastically limiting potential improvements.

Respectfully, that's an unreasonably defeatist, can't-do take. Are we really suggesting we don't know how to deal with snow in Canada?...

And four lane roads became two lanes throughout the region when we had that big snowstorm a few years back (when the municipalities dropped the ball on plowing). All it means is we should do a better job maintaining the roads instead of so drastically limiting potential improvements. Respectfully, that's a pretty defeatist, can't-do take.
You can't cost effectively plow the road to the point that doesn't happen. It's such a waste of tax money, 99% of the other roads you push some of it off to the shoulder and let it melt.

Also this is Toronto, Hydro has been "designing" a stretch of wellington for over a decade. We can't even keep the service levels we had 5 years ago and people here think the city will significantly increase things??

Well that didn't take long.... Back to 0....
Screenshot_20240614_131241.jpg

Back