News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Although if MTO posted 40 as an advisory, usually that means the ramp is pretty tight (loop ramp). Most people probably wouldn't be comfortable driving over 55-60 on those anyway.

This was the ramp, you can do much more than 40 on it pretty comfortably. Mind you I have only ever driven on that ramp once, for the test. And that was quite a while ago now..

This was the ramp, you can do much more than 40 on it pretty comfortably. Mind you I have only ever driven on that ramp once, for the test. And that was quite a while ago now..
ye no you can do 60 or even 70 quite comfortably on that ramp. Pretty weird though, typically 40 is reserved for the looping on ramps seen with Parclos...

The speed isn't just posted for a typical car. Trucks, RVs, trailers and etc. would be better off driving closer to that advisory speed. Especially in bad weather.

They might have also lowered it cause a bad accident happened at higher speeds at that spot.

The speed isn't just posted for a typical car. Trucks, RVs, trailers and etc. would be better off driving closer to that advisory speed. Especially in bad weather.
MTO does have a specific sign for that and they do use it in places where large vehicles have a high risk of tipping:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.715...4!1sLRm5UsWFFWEBomZWQBi8lg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
(401E to 400N ramp)
Obviously, most cars can and do go faster than 50 on that ramp safely, but that sign is directed to truckers.

MTO does have a specific sign for that and they do use it in places where large vehicles have a high risk of tipping:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.715...4!1sLRm5UsWFFWEBomZWQBi8lg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
(401E to 400N ramp)
Obviously, most cars can and do go faster than 50 on that ramp safely, but that sign is directed to truckers.

That's all that remains of the speed-triggered flashing lights that have been removed from service all across Ontario as far as I know.

That's all that remains of the speed-triggered flashing lights that have been removed from service all across Ontario as far as I know.

I miss the “TOO FAST” neon sign that would light up on the QEW Niagara-bound ramp at the Freeman Interchange in Burlington before it was rebuilt in the mid 1990s in advance of the Highway 407 extension.

One major problem with Ontario is that they don't like spending money on improvements.

From Germany...

1-s2.0-S2468227619301863-gr1.jpg

From link.

Variable speed limit (VSL) systems​

VSL systems, also referred to as dynamic speed limit systems, dynamic message signs, changeable message signs, etc. in the literature use dynamic speed limits to control traffic based on the prevailing traffic condition. Further to the speed limits, some VSL systems may display information signs which provide warning on potentially dangerous conditions on the way. Other information such as construction works, delay, travel time, and route guidance could also be shown by a VSL system. The VSL control device, which is mostly installed on overhead gantries across the carriageway, may also implement dynamic truck restrictions which require heavy goods vehicles not to overtake or use designated lanes during peak periods.

Untitled-4.gif
From link.

^ The tech is the relatively easy part (albeit expensive), the other part is the legislation and enforcement. Variable speeds wrt to upcoming traffic density or obstruction would be helpful. Variable speed wrt to road and weather conditions would also be good but more challenging. There is a section Quebec 20, I think between Levis and RduL that has a variable limit apparently because of fog.

One major problem with Ontario is that they don't like spending money on improvements.

From Germany...

1-s2.0-S2468227619301863-gr1.jpg

From link.

Untitled-4.gif
From link.
I saw this when I was in The Netherlands and loved it. Every 300 to 500 metres there was a gantry with signs for each lane. For upcoming lane closures there were arrows left or right, X's where the lanes were actually closed, speeds that varied with traffic, weather, and time of day. It was brilliant, and should be done here in the golden horseshoe.

I saw this when I was in The Netherlands and loved it. Every 300 to 500 metres there was a gantry with signs for each lane. For upcoming lane closures there were arrows left or right, X's where the lanes were actually closed, speeds that varied with traffic, weather, and time of day. It was brilliant, and should be done here in the golden horseshoe.
I could see this being used as a way to test higher speed limits in the GTHA. Maybe in the summer with good conditions the signs can say 110-120 km/h, and in the winter when there is snowstorms and poor visibility it could switch to 90-100 km/h. That way, we aren't stuck with a speed limit that doesn't make sense half of the time

It's not exactly new - I remember seeing these on motorways in urban areas of the UK in the 1970s! I thought they'd been using them since the 1960s.

True, I had forgotten about the OnRoute sites, because they are utterly forgettable. This is picnicking or unwinding on an institutional level.

View attachment 338541
Some are better than others, but the two on Hwy 400 are devoid of a single tree.

Yeah, Some are pretty stark and depressing, and it's hard to understand why they didn't just put some picnic tables under a few trees in all of them. Still, some are relatively decent. In all cases, though, they're tucked off to the side without really anything pointing people to them.

Back