News   Jul 16, 2024
 682     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

The exits on Highway 407 still refer to Hurontario Street as Highway 10, and according to asphaltplanet.ca, these signs were made as late as 2004!

407_dv_43-5_east.jpg

Full size: http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_dv_43-5_east_24x16.jpg

-Reference and pic from: http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/Hwy407_p2_images.htm

highway 7 is still a provincial highway in many parts where I travel, ie stratford, gwelph, peter borough, acintolite. its a regional road in peel, and york. its actually called peel regional road 107 and york regional road 7. when im in brampton, people still to this day refer to it as highway 7, and in vaughan its called highway 7 because its still signed as highway 7 as well, theyre allowed to do that.

I also to this day still see markers for kings highway 10 and kings highway 5 in peel region. people still to this day call dundas and hurontario as 5 & 10. ive grown up with that intersection, even my kids and their kids will continue to call it that.

I've never heard anyone call Hurontario & Dundas as their former highway numbers. My mom used to work at the branch there and she never called it that. My dad grew up in Lakeview and went to TLK and he's never referred to them by numbers either.

I guarantee you that 99% of people in Mississauga have no idea that Highway 5 used to be located in Mississauga and have no idea where it was.

The exits on Highway 407 still refer to Hurontario Street as Highway 10, and according to asphaltplanet.ca, these signs were made as late as 2004!

407_dv_43-5_east.jpg

Full size: http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_dv_43-5_east_24x16.jpg

-Reference and pic from: http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/Hwy407_p2_images.htm

I don't take the 407. The 401 signs do not use Highway 10 signage.

This puzzles me because I just checked Google Streetview and the pictures on the 401 are from 2009 and the signage itself looks older than the 407 signage. My gut feeling is whoever did the 407 signage goofed.

Last edited:
Peel never took over Highway 10; Mississauga and Brampton did.

Actually, most of Hurontario was under city control long before the mass downloadings in 1997. Only the sections between the 401 and the hydro/407 corridor as well as between Bovaird and where the 410 is now was under official MTO jurisdiction at the time. Having a highway number along a road is not always the same as actually being a provincial highway. Yonge St. through downtown Toronto for example has never been a provincial highway per se.

Last edited:
I think King St in Waterloo Region might also tie it with 5.

6 if you count the Old King/Fairway Road exit with Highway 8! That would make it:
-the one by the Waterloo Market
-the one by Conestoga Mall
-the one where King turns into Highway 8
-Old King to/from Highway 8 near Hiway Market Zehrs
-King at Highway 8 near Freeport
-King at 401

I've never heard anyone call Hurontario & Dundas as their former highway numbers. My mom used to work at the branch there and she never called it that. My dad grew up in Lakeview and went to TLK and he's never referred to them by numbers either.

I guarantee you that 99% of people in Mississauga have no idea that Highway 5 used to be located in Mississauga and have no idea where it was.

I think more like 99% know the former highway numbers, and 1% do not know. It's mostly the older folks who were either rased or lived in mississauga who still call it by the former highway numbers. New peopel who think theyre cool, dont know anythnig about the history of our road and have no clue, which is kinda sad also not many people were aware earnie eaves downloaded the provincial highways to the municipalities nor known what that ment. Everyone calls it highway 10, even some newcommers come up tp me, and tell me they were given directions to highway 10, but cant find it due to lack of sineage, i politely tell them hurontario Street n/s is the highway 10 they are looking for, then they continue to reference it as highway 10.

407_dv_43-5_east.jpg

The Highway 11 exit on the highway 407 ETR is also co-signed as Yonge Street. Thats because its the same road. yonge street IS highway 11
407_dv_77_west_May11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
6 if you count the Old King/Fairway Road exit with Highway 8! That would make it:
-the one by the Waterloo Market
-the one by Conestoga Mall
-the one where King turns into Highway 8
-Old King to/from Highway 8 near Hiway Market Zehrs
-King at Highway 8 near Freeport
-King at 401
Given that the two pieces of King Street no longer connect without driving down Highway 8, then I'm not sure it really counts. The southern piece of King is Weber Street East really.

It is certainly confusing though to someone who has been given directions, and is told to get off on King Street!

The Highway 11 exit on the highway 407 ETR is also co-signed as Yonge Street. Thats because its the same road. yonge street IS highway 11
407_dv_77_west_May11.jpg

You took that photo off the asphaltplanet site, which says right next to the photo: "these photos are both the old and new signs for Yonge Street along Highway 407" with the following photo included:

407_dv_77_west_Nov11.jpg

Seriously? Did you even read the photo description?

Interesting point as well: in the Toronto Township days, Hurontario/Highway 10 was called Centre Road. You can see this in very old MT route maps and rollsigns. Route 2 originally was 2-Centre Road/Clarkson "GO", and Route 19 was Hurontario. I believe this was only from Eglinton (then Base Line) south, which had a different survey than north of the Base Line. Mississauga simplified things by calling the whole thing Hurontario.

Main Street North/South only applies through the pre-1974 Town of Brampton.

The use of the old name "Highway 10" sticks partly because it went by three or four different name changes though Mississauga and Brampton. I kind of like how different people still use different names.

I always say 5 & 10 and people always understand what I mean. I'm young too, got it from my parents I guess.

Obviously Hurontario is the proper name, but it's kinda like 'Rogers Centre', right? :p

I don't think it's like Rogers Centre at all.

I was born in 1982. I lived in Mineola West growing up (anyone who knows Mississauga knows that Hurontario divides Mineola East from Mineola West), and as long as I've been able to form memories of such things, it has always been Hurontario. The signs say Hurontario. My parents said Hurontario. There may be some old signs here and there, but I can't say I've seen a Highway 10 sign anywhere along Hurontario recently.

If you had used the term Highway 5 with me 5 years ago, I would have had no idea what you're talking about. I've seen old Highway 10 signs on Hurontario Street in the past. I have never seen an old Highway 5 sign on Dundas Street, ever.

I was born in 1985, lived in Meadovale until 1989, lived in Lakeview from 2008 to 2009 and Port Credit from 2010 to 2011, and still call it Highway 10. The Ten Restaurant at 10 and 2 didn't get its name by accident.

I was born in 1985, lived in Meadovale until 1989, lived in Lakeview from 2008 to 2009 and Port Credit from 2010 to 2011, and still call it Highway 10. The Ten Restaurant at 10 and 2 didn't get its name by accident.

Are you seriously referring to Lakeshore as Highway 2? Really?

I can understand why some people still call Hurontario Hwy 10 to a degree, because the media still popularizes it and local usage isn't enough to override it, but Highway 2 and 5? FFS nobody calls them that at all! Say Highway 5 or 2 to anyone in Mississauga and you'll get a totally blank look.

Back