News   Aug 15, 2024
 382     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 589     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 715     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

If memory serves, the original claim was that nobody calls it Highway 10 any more. Now that said claim has been thoroughly disproven, it's time to grab onto one insignificant passing reference and beat that to death. I'm starting to remember why I stopped coming here.

Last edited:
Until I hear real people in real situations (rather than on UT or on traffic reports) call it anything other than Hurontario, no it's not proven. I've lived in Mississauga my whole life. It's Hurontario.

I don't think it's like Rogers Centre at all.

I was born in 1982. I lived in Mineola West growing up (anyone who knows Mississauga knows that Hurontario divides Mineola East from Mineola West), and as long as I've been able to form memories of such things, it has always been Hurontario. The signs say Hurontario. My parents said Hurontario. There may be some old signs here and there, but I can't say I've seen a Highway 10 sign anywhere along Hurontario recently.

If you had used the term Highway 5 with me 5 years ago, I would have had no idea what you're talking about. I've seen old Highway 10 signs on Hurontario Street in the past. I have never seen an old Highway 5 sign on Dundas Street, ever.

That may have been your experience, but I also grew up in Mississauga, and Highway 10 was always the exit we used to get home, or to hop onto the highway until Mavis Road was extended north of the 401. Highway 10 was the street we told people to get off at when giving directions to our place, and Highway 10 is what we took to get to Square One, and my aunts condo which was also on Highway 10. My family still uses the name Highway 10 when referring to Hurontario, and we have yet to meet anyone who doesn't know that Hurontario Street is Highway 10. Even our neighbours refer to it as Highway 10.

I also remember Perly's maps used to have Hurontario labelled as Highway 10 too... so it wasn't as uncommon as you think.

That may have been your experience, but I also grew up in Mississauga, and Highway 10 was always the exit we used to get home, or to hop onto the highway until Mavis Road was extended north of the 401. Highway 10 was the street we told people to get off at when giving directions to our place, and Highway 10 is what we took to get to Square One, and my aunts condo which was also on Highway 10. My family still uses the name Highway 10 when referring to Hurontario, and we have yet to meet anyone who doesn't know that Hurontario Street is Highway 10. Even our neighbours refer to it as Highway 10.

I also remember Perly's maps used to have Hurontario labelled as Highway 10 too... so it wasn't as uncommon as you think.

Maybe if you lived closer to the street you'd use the proper name.

Just because people do something wrong all the time it doesn't make it right. Just because a lot of people make the same mistake it doesn't make it right.

Star Trek 111 for example is just wrong. It's Star Trek III.
No matter how many times you write "could care less" or "per say" or "irregardless" or "Young/Younge Street" it doesn't make them right.

it seems like some people are still living inside a bubble and when i say living inside a bubble think that just because they moved to mississauga 5-10 years ago, they think that what they hear = what the rest of the world should go by. I hope you know, Highway 10 is a HUGE highway, it goes all the way up to Owen Sound, if you had actually travelled this great province and not lived inside your so called bubble, you will see the REST of the province calls it highway 10, even the stub south of caledon that goes into brampton and mississauga, yes they call that number 10 or highway 10 as well. They also call the lakeshore as Highway 2, they go by highway 2 in pretty much almost every other town it passes through, its pretty stupid not to call it. guess what my Garmin GPS calls the lake shore? yes it still calls it highway 2

Enough of that discussion, and if you had no idea hurontario was called highway 10, then i feel sorry for you. I guess if someone tells u to go to hiway 10 pharmacy (http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/mississauga/hiway-10-pharmacy/3404420.html) to pick up your medication you will have zero idea where it is?

Most people know Hurontario was once called Highway 10 ... it was only a few years ago it was downloaded. But it's the past. It's no longer called Highway 10. It's usage will continue to dwindle over the years. Heck, it was only numbered Highway 10 through Mississauga for part of last century. It had almost a century of life before that, and

Do you take the Lot Street streetcar?

it seems like some people are still living inside a bubble and when i say living inside a bubble think that just because they moved to mississauga 5-10 years ago, they think that what they hear = what the rest of the world should go by. I hope you know, Highway 10 is a HUGE highway, it goes all the way up to Owen Sound, if you had actually travelled this great province and not lived inside your so called bubble, you will see the REST of the province calls it highway 10, even the stub south of caledon that goes into brampton and mississauga, yes they call that number 10 or highway 10 as well. They also call the lakeshore as Highway 2, they go by highway 2 in pretty much almost every other town it passes through, its pretty stupid not to call it. guess what my Garmin GPS calls the lake shore? yes it still calls it highway 2

Enough of that discussion, and if you had no idea hurontario was called highway 10, then i feel sorry for you. I guess if someone tells u to go to hiway 10 pharmacy (http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/mississauga/hiway-10-pharmacy/3404420.html) to pick up your medication you will have zero idea where it is?

Paolo, you're missing the point. The reality is that calling a street a highway to the degree "Highway 10" is used in Mississauga is an anomoly. There were highways all over the the province that ran through cities as streets, and people used the street names--even before the so-called downloadings of 1997. The naming of businesses such as "Ten Restaurant" is proof of that.

Most people I know call it "Highway 10." All my family and relatives (immigrants/refugees) use the term "Highway 10" exclusively.

I think it's cool when streets and other places have colloquial names given to them by residents, something more than just the official label. Hurontario is an important street with a certain history, and it has a kind of mystique about it. If you seriously are bothered by people attaching their own labels to places, then I don't know what to say.

Until I hear real people in real situations (rather than on UT or on traffic reports) call it anything other than Hurontario, no it's not proven. I've lived in Mississauga my whole life. It's Hurontario.

Right, because if you've never personally experienced something, that means it must not be true.

I think it's cool when streets and other places have colloquial names given to them by residents, something more than just the official label.

Though I agree with you on this, what's going on here is that people are simply not coming to grips with Mississauga's big city status and simply seeing it as a type of suburban township, not applying a colloquialism because it sounds cool.

I'm not living in a bubble. I've always known what Highway 10 was. I also know they've removed the vast majority of Highway 10 signage and if you rely on a GPS that shows Highway 10 and you're not from around here you'll get confused very quickly because the provincial highways DO NOT SHOW Highway 10 signage anymore.

I don't know who you think moved to Mississauga 5-10 years ago. I grew up a few feet from Hurontario and the QEW. Hurontario was one of the first words I learned to spell!

As for Highway 2 and 5, as I said I've only learned about those from this site. They're Lakeshore/Lake Shore and Dundas.

I feel sorry for you that you're living in the past and using archaic terminology that no one will understand in a few years.

Drove through the construction zone last night:
[video=youtube;Pv6xA2tjROw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6xA2tjROw[/video]

I also took a daytime vid, but that starts after the constriction as I aimed to show the widest section of the 401.
[video=youtube;e8JhwjgFzbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8JhwjgFzbA[/video]

More info in the video descriptions.

The construction really threw off my perception--when you reached Mclaughlin I thought you were still only at Kennedy.

Maybe getting slightly off-topic, but here's a video I shot of the 401 through Mississauga in 1991. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;wQhHB_LnW9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhHB_LnW9c&list=UU_-tIe-18H6YDKuADj6BZMw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Back