News   Jul 16, 2024
 657     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 730     2 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I love how you got stuck in traffic in the daytime vid. How true to life lol

Ya and on a Saturday too lol. Good thing I was exiting just past where the backup occurred. The thing must be crazy on weekdays.

That's one of the reasons I didn't film the Hurontaio section in the daytime vid. Was stuck in traffic... and couldn't see much due to all the constriction barriers.

As for Highway 2 and 5, as I said I've only learned about those from this site. They're Lakeshore/Lake Shore and Dundas.

I feel sorry for you that you're living in the past and using archaic terminology that no one will understand in a few years.

not everyone learns the provincial highways from a discussion form, some people actually learned from trips and travelling across this beautiful province and from map books.

Also if u think people are living in the past for using archaic terminology, sorry to tell u many people refer to towns instead of the city names even though the towns were alamgamated 25-30 years ago. the names will never go away, theyre in our history books, old videos, photos etc.

bet u didnt know highway 5 was also bloor street too, not just dundas.

And other people learned them because they were actually called that when they lived in Mississauga. The signage didn't disappear all that long ago.

not everyone learns the provincial highways from a discussion form, some people actually learned from trips and travelling across this beautiful province and from map books.

Also if u think people are living in the past for using archaic terminology, sorry to tell u many people refer to towns instead of the city names even though the towns were alamgamated 25-30 years ago. the names will never go away, theyre in our history books, old videos, photos etc.

bet u didnt know highway 5 was also bloor street too, not just dundas.

And other people learned them because they were actually called that when they lived in Mississauga. The signage didn't disappear all that long ago.

As I said, I've lived in Mississauga all my life and I've seen Hwy 10 signs, but not in a long time, and have never seen Hwy 5 or Hwy 2 signs, ever.

So where people are learning these highway numbers from? Historical maps I suppose. Google Maps and maps you buy in the store don't have them. I remember some older paper maps have "Formerly Hwy 10", but they haven't shown that in a few years either.

If someone is from out of town, if you use any of the defunct highway numbers, you're just going to confuse the hell out of them due to the fact that those numbers no longer show up on paper maps or Google Maps or on the streets themselves or on exit signs of the highways that connect to them.

When was the last time you gave someone directions? With GPS, Google Maps, et. al. it's not really a common occurrence any more.

When was the last time you gave someone directions? With GPS, Google Maps, et. al. it's not really a common occurrence any more.
??? Last time I gave someone directions was earlier this week. People often seem to stop me walking and ask for directions. On that occassion, I was standing at the corner of King and Yonge, and they wanted to know which way to Bay street. Now if they'd asked where Highway 11 was, I might have eventually figured out we were standing on it ... but it might not have happened until much later. And if he'd asked for Highway 11A, I may never have figured it out.

Seems hardly a week or two goes by, that someone doesn't ask me for directions. Not sure why you haven't noticed this. Do you not walk much?

Obviously, over time, these old designations will slowly die away, unless they are re-used in a local or regional numbering scheme or name.

FWIW I tried typing in Hwy 10 and Dundas into Google Maps, and it found it. Tried Hwy 10 and Hwy 5 and it did not find it. Hwy 10 and Lakeshore it did find though. Hwy 10 and Hwy 2 it did not find.

What also annoy me are the Regional Road numbers, which are official and current, but no one uses. Derry Rd is Regional Road 5. Britannia is Regional Road 3. Cawthra is Regional Road 17. Queensway is Regional Road 20. These numbers have been in place for a long time, and there is some signage in some places to reflect that. But no one uses these numbers.

Here is the Peel road map: http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/roads/road-map/pdf/peelroad-map3.pdf

It shows all the regional roads, as well as the provincial.

Oddly enough, it doesn't show Hurontario as Hwy 10 or Dundas as Hwy 5, but it does show Lakeshore as Hwy 2. Was this downloaded last? It has always been Lakeshore to me...

Last edited:
Back on the topic of the actual construction, I haven't seen much activity for the past few weeks. It looks like they have the concrete base down for the entire length of the project in both directions, and they've started putting in the concrete barriers. The old supports for the Hurontario overpass are still in place, and there seems to be vegetation growing in parts of it. Perhaps they're waiting until the collectors are open and they can shift all traffic over before removing these.

Back on the topic of the actual construction, I haven't seen much activity for the past few weeks. It looks like they have the concrete base down for the entire length of the project in both directions, and they've started putting in the concrete barriers. The old supports for the Hurontario overpass are still in place, and there seems to be vegetation growing in parts of it. Perhaps they're waiting until the collectors are open and they can shift all traffic over before removing these.

I really is slow-going. And to think this is only phase I...still have to wait for them to start the whole Mavis interchange.

I really is slow-going. And to think this is only phase I...still have to wait for them to start the whole Mavis interchange.
Before the beginning of July, I was seeing work on a fairly consistent basis. Haven't really seen many people around working for the past few weeks.

As I said, I've lived in Mississauga all my life and I've seen Hwy 10 signs, but not in a long time, and have never seen Hwy 5 or Hwy 2 signs, ever.

Dude, you are just not paying attention. There is a highway 5 sign right at Hurontario & Dundas. I'm pretty sure it's still there. I also passed by one the other day at Dundas & Erin Mills Pkwy, though it's hard to see on Google Street View. It's on the eastbound side, just east of Erin Mills Parkway.

What also annoy me are the Regional Road numbers, which are official and current, but no one uses. Derry Rd is Regional Road 5. Britannia is Regional Road 3. Cawthra is Regional Road 17. Queensway is Regional Road 20. These numbers have been in place for a long time, and there is some signage in some places to reflect that. But no one uses these numbers.

Probably because cities that have county-road streets are really anomalies, and basically seen only in Ontario, unlike highway numbers. Personally, I don't know why RM's even bother keeping them within urban municipalities.

Dude, you are just not paying attention. There is a highway 5 sign right at Hurontario & Dundas. I'm pretty sure it's still there. I also passed by one the other day at Dundas & Erin Mills Pkwy, though it's hard to see on Google Street View. It's on the eastbound side, just east of Erin Mills Parkway.

Sorry if I didn't notice the ONE Hwy 5 sign left on Dundas. Although Google Streetview in Mississauga is pretty outdated.

If I ever have a chance to have a look in that area and see if it's still up, I'll write to the City to have it removed. It was probably just missed when they initially removed all the signage.

Back