News   Jul 15, 2024
 231     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 379     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Restaurants/Coffee Shops - St. Lawrence/King East

The Timothy's coffee shop on the SW corner of Jarvis and Front closed suddenly; the place was cleared out so efficiently yesterday that you'd never know it existed. It's now a prime corner location for something, but with every major coffee chain represented at least once within a block maybe this can be something other than a coffee joint.

The Main Squeeze Juice Bar on Front St. closed as well a few weeks ago, and is now going to be a computer shop called Ask Computers (and hopefully it will be a decent one--it seems that cheap electronics/wireless stores are the new dollar stores). According to the Bulletin newspaper the juice place was forced to close due to a problem with an investor or something and the owner hopes to re-open in the area, which would be nice as they made some great concoctions and were super friendly in there.

The storefront at Church & King that was formerly Luc Florists has a building permit for renovation into a new restaurant called "Origin Restaurant and Bar" complete with 75 inside and 65 outdoor seats. Intriguing, but no sign of any work yet, nor do I have any idea where they could fit a patio of that size unless they take over the parking lot out back.

Calvin, the owner/franchisee told me that he was closing because he was barely making money now and his lease expires December 31. He said that he simply could not cope with the rent increase being proposed. Too bad as it was a nice place and a good 'people-watching' location. He thought that a variety store was going to rent the space - which seems a terrible waste of a key corner location with a, small, terrace.

The Timothy's coffee shop on the SW corner of Jarvis and Front closed suddenly; the place was cleared out so efficiently yesterday that you'd never know it existed. It's now a prime corner location for something, but with every major coffee chain represented at least once within a block maybe this can be something other than a coffee joint.

The Main Squeeze Juice Bar on Front St. closed as well a few weeks ago, and is now going to be a computer shop called Ask Computers (and hopefully it will be a decent one--it seems that cheap electronics/wireless stores are the new dollar stores). According to the Bulletin newspaper the juice place was forced to close due to a problem with an investor or something and the owner hopes to re-open in the area, which would be nice as they made some great concoctions and were super friendly in there.

The storefront at Church & King that was formerly Luc Florists has a building permit for renovation into a new restaurant called "Origin Restaurant and Bar" complete with 75 inside and 65 outdoor seats. Intriguing, but no sign of any work yet, nor do I have any idea where they could fit a patio of that size unless they take over the parking lot out back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was really sorry to see Luc leave. He does amazing work and I was surprised to see him leave. I used to look in his windows whenever I was down there on King and Wellington before that. Does anyone know if he just moved or did he go out of business. He would do really well in a place like New York or Paris but I don't know if there's enough demand for a high end floral arranger in T.O.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was really sorry to see Luc leave. He does amazing work and I was surprised to see him leave. I used to look in his windows whenever I was down there on King and Wellington before that. Does anyone know if he just moved or did he go out of business. He would do really well in a place like New York or Paris but I don't know if there's enough demand for a high end floral arranger in T.O.

He is now on Victoria - just north of King Street and next to the driving licence place.

So it appears that the former Timothy's on the southeast corner of Front and Jarvis is officially going to be a convenience store. Oh. Great. I only ask that the business at least make a vague effort to enhance this important and historical corner. Another convenience stored failed a few months ago only a few units south.

In other news, there's a new "30 seats or less" restaurant opening on the ground floor of 222 The Esplanade facing onto Princess. This is in a unit formerly occupied by a junky "dollar store" next to the existing Coffee Time, Miyaki Sushi, Canadian Deli and Pizza Nova. I assume it will be a fast-foodish place along similar lines; looking forward to finding out exactly what it will be.

The Golden Griddle on Jarvis & The Esplanade is closed.

The Bulletin community paper reported a few months back that Griddle was closing soon and would become a restaurant where you eat in the dark and the servers are blind? They later printed a retraction that this was not finalized.

Abbey Lane Lofts-Pizzeria Cafe

The spot that in Abbey Lane Lofts that used to have a bakery(for like a day) and used to be the DVD/Diner place, has a sign in the window for a Pizzeria Cafe.

Is it just the name that changed, or do we have a new chef, owners, etc?

Back