News   Jul 15, 2024
 285     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Restaurants/Coffee Shops - St. Lawrence/King East

so i stopped in to the prince of ales to see for myself. i work in the area, so i figured if it would be good, i was set. lunch was packed, and we had an amazing hilarious server. i forget her name now, but she was great. the food took longer than i would have liked, but it was so worth the wait. wow. things seemed a bit chaotic, but for opening week, i was blown away. i would definitely recommend this place. really nice.

How tiresome. Another newbie signs up to praise a place the regulars are unloading on. Give it up Prince of Ails, or your posts will all be deleted.

Hmmm...

How tiresome. Another newbie signs up to praise a place the regulars are unloading on. Give it up Prince of Ails, or your posts will all be deleted.

I'm a little disappointed at the responses above, to be honest... I was hoping to jump in and become part of the community and share opinions and news about new businesses, but I see that having an opinion that differs from yours is obviously not welcome...? It's a shame - perhaps a private or exclusive forum is something you were hoping for?

I'm just a regular guy who is new to the area and is excited to NOT have to eat pink burgers in a dirty bar...I quite enjoyed the food, the beer and especially the service and will definitely be a regular patron.

Anyways, way to support local businesses, folks... I'm glad for those who have had great experiences there and hope that the POA will last longer than VOX did...wherever they went... I know a few changes have occurred in the first few weeks; as they're bound to with a new business in a competitive city, and I'm sure we'll see more to come.

Cheers -

That is a disappointing beer list; it does seem odd that a place that calls itself Prince of Ales would have a boring beer list that is easily topped by your average Firkin, even as the micro-brew world is exploding in popularity. Also, I don't see a single local brew on that list (Molson's is a multi-national corp and doesn't count)... why not support fellow local businesses and jump on the "local" bandwagon while you're at it?

The best place for a huge beer list and educated servers who know it inside out is Beer Bistro on King. Alas, it's pricey (the Bay Street set frequent) but good for an indulgence. Great food. Kick ass steak frites. I'd never before seen beer given the same respect as wine. Pretty cool.

The best place for a huge beer list and educated servers who know it inside out is Beer Bistro on King. Alas, it's pricey (the Bay Street set frequent) but good for an indulgence. Great food. Kick ass steak frites. I'd never before seen beer given the same respect as wine. Pretty cool.

Totally agree about the Beer Bistro, right down to the frites, but also that the price and suits make it a once-in-a-while destination for me only. I guess we are fairly spoiled for good beers in the hood: C'est What is unbeatable for Canadian microbrews, and Mill St. has some great options -- and now you don't always need to go to the Distillery to find them, either! Smokeless Joe is a bit of a walk, but doable, and they take their beers very seriously too.

Agreed, I only go to Beir Bistro if it's on someone elses' tab!

C'est What is an everyday choice, and Betty's is great for slumming it.

My last ~3 trips to the Mill St. Brewpub in the Distillery were disappointing.

m&b

m&b last night, mmmmmmmmm loved it. food was delish and the service was excellent. loving the area and most of the places around here. haven't made it to mill st. yet but looking forward to it. any other suggestions?

It seems the defunct restaurant known as "Natcho Thai Thai" (oh how that name always bothered me) on King near Church is going to be replaced by a St. Louis Bar & Grill wings joint. Looks like they are aiming to spread around the downtown, having recently opened a location in the Atrium on Bay as well.

I'm not usually a fan of chain places like this, but I have to admit that there really isn't anything similar in the immediate area and it'll probably do well with the business lunch crowd, travelers staying at the King Eddy, and evening sports crowds looking to get away from the Front St restaurant stripmall before and after games at the ACC. This comes right next to the recently opened Lettuce Eatery.

It seems the defunct restaurant known as "Natcho Thai Thai" (oh how that name always bothered me) on King near Church is going to be replaced by a St. Louis Bar & Grill wings joint. Looks like they are aiming to spread around the downtown, having recently opened a location in the Atrium on Bay as well.

I'm not usually a fan of chain places like this, but I have to admit that there really isn't anything similar in the immediate area and it'll probably do well with the business lunch crowd, travelers staying at the King Eddy, and evening sports crowds looking to get away from the Front St restaurant stripmall before and after games at the ACC. This comes right next to the recently opened Lettuce Eatery.

I didn't realize that place had closed down. Another Restaurant Makeover location bites the dust.

Does anyone know anything about the place on the corner of Front/Jarvis? It was The Ninth Gate, then Eleven, now there's no sign, but I think it's called something like "The Place on the Corner".

Is it under new ownership or has it just got owners with ADD? Anyone been there and know if it's any good?

Does anyone know anything about the place on the corner of Front/Jarvis? It was The Ninth Gate, then Eleven, now there's no sign, but I think it's called something like "The Place on the Corner".

Is it under new ownership or has it just got owners with ADD? Anyone been there and know if it's any good?

It's called "Corner Place" or "The Corner Place" and it no longer has any association with the former owners of Ninth Gate, Eleven, or Garden @ Eleven. One of the new owners is the young guy who ran the restaurant a few doors east called Cafe Asia (also known as Market Fresh for a year or so after their Restaurant Makeover). He told us that he sold all but a 25% share in that restaurant to focus on the Corner Place, his new endeavour. He says his goal to be to make it into a casual neighbourhood hangout with local food, mainly sourced from the St. Lawrence Market on the opposite corner of the intersection, along with local local beers such as Mill St. Prices are around the $8-12 mark for meals. I think this is all very admirable and should be encouraged, if necessary, by copious consumption of local beers... ;)

My wife and I had brunch there once a few weeks back and it was quite good; some nicely cooked eggs and excellent hashbrowns. Coffee quality could be kicked up a notch, though. We've yet to try any of the lunch or dinner options. I do hope this place succeeds. It's a beautiful space and a wonderful patio for people watching (well, in the summer, anyway!) and it's nice to see it now accessible to those who can't (or don't want) to drop $75 per person for dinner.

Edit -- found a link to a brief review: http://www.martiniboys.com/Toronto/Corner-Place-review.html

Last edited:
Wow, sounds exactly like what we've been looking for -- definitely going to give it a try. Definitely sounds like it holds up better than the disappointing Prince of Ales.

Thanks!

Back