News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 749     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

"something for everyone" place targeting work team lunches and after-work events.

The Financial District restaurant model seems to run on the model of an "alcohol-heavy approach". The food is designed to be shareable or keep the guest longer thus more orders of alcohol per person.

The food doesn't have to be the best just good enough to keep the hunger away after downing 4 pints of beer.

The Financial District restaurant model seems to run on the model of an "alcohol-heavy approach". The food is designed to be shareable or keep the guest longer thus more orders of alcohol per person.

The food doesn't have to be the best just good enough to keep the hunger away after downing 4 pints of beer.
Oh, definitely, and it's amasing how many of the mid-price places have near identical appetiser menus.
Things like truffle fries, sliders, dynamite rolls, deep fried calamari, thai lettuce wraps, spinach and cheese dip, and of course the ubiquitous "loaded nachos"; all of them seem to be on the "sharing plates" menu at each one of these places.

Well Well Well...this new just released!

@AlbertC @Northern Light

Non - Paywall version!

Toronto restaurants have witnessed a year-over-year, double-digit decline in the volume of in-person diners, according to new data from OpenTable, which suggests consumers are pulling back on discretionary spending amid the rising cost of living.

Over the first 10 days in September, the number of seated diners in the city was down 10 per cent compared to the same period last year. The latest figures from the online reservation service mark a continued decline in the popularity of in-person restaurant dining, with the volume of seated diners in Toronto now below 2022 levels for more than three consecutive months.

The statistics out of Toronto also echo trends taking hold in other parts of Canada, and comes as the association representing the country’s food service industry warns that restaurants are “teetering on the edge.”

“Our members are still very much in recovery mode,” said Tracy Macgregor, vice president of Ontario for Restaurants Canada. “The first half of 2023 started strong … but I can tell you that we’re definitely hearing that numbers are down.”

Challenges this year rival those from 2020, industry warns
In Montreal, the industry’s recovery appears to have slowed, with year-over-year growth for in-person dining stagnant at zero per cent so far this month. Meanwhile in Edmonton, restaurant attendance has been contracting since May. And overall, in Canada, the volume of in-person diners this summer has been less than the numbers recorded for the previous summer.

The OpenTable data is sourced from the platform’s State of the Industry Dashboard, which tracks online, phone and walk-in reservations from restaurants that subscribed to the service a year ago.

The industry figures come just a month after Restaurants Canada warned that the challenges the industry is facing this year rival those from 2020.
“Restaurants are resilient, but the threats they face are severe,” the report concluded. “Half of restaurants and food service companies report operating at a loss or just breaking-even as food costs continue to grow. Urgent changes are needed to help restaurant businesses survive and thrive over the months ahead.”

Consumer spending plunges as cost of living rises
A Restaurants Canada online survey of its members from July found eight in 10 restaurant companies reported lower profits in 2023 than in 2019, with rising food and operational cost compounding existing economic challenges.
“All these things are hitting at the same time that consumers are feeling the pinch as well, so it’s affecting restaurant profitability very strongly,” noted Macgregor.

The new data also aligns with other reports, which suggest consumer spending has plunged as Ontarians start to feel the pinch from rising interest rates.
A report released last month by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce showed that Ontario led the country with the biggest drop in consumer spending at 8.5 per cent month-over-month in July compared to a 3.6 per cent drop nationally.

Restaurants resilient, expert says, but tough times ahead

Last week, the Bank of Canada announced it was holding interest rates steady as the country enters a period of weaker growth.
“Economic growth slowed sharply in the second quarter of 2023, with output contracting by 0.2 per cent at an annualized rate,” the central bank said in a press release explaining its decision. “This reflected a marked weakening in consumption growth and a decline in housing activity, as well as the impact of wildfires in many regions of the country.”

Amid the slowdown, Macgregor said restaurants are still trying to attract customers back to dine in-person, with special deals and creative experiences. But many in the industry don’t expect much relief in the coming fall and winter seasons.
“We think it’ll be tight,” she said. “And there’s always this looming, ever-present threat of a potential economic downturn.”

Well Well Well...this new just released!

@AlbertC @Northern Light

I think there's a lot of people under serious financial pressure due to rising interest rates and that its highly likely discretionary spending is being adversely effected.

Notice all the empty seats at the Dome for the Jays game when they are in a 'Wild Card' race?

I would add one further factor, I expect post-pandemic there was a very extreme need to get out of the house, and that effect is dissipating.

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of people under serious financial pressure due to rising interest rates and that its highly likely discretionary spending is being adversely effected.

Notice all the empty seats at the Dome for the Jays game when they are in a 'Wild Card' race?

I would add one further factor, I expect post-pandemic then was a very extreme need to get out of the house, and that effect is dissipating.

As well, have you seen the price of restaurants lately?

Prices have skyrocketed and what used to be an inexpensive meal has jumped. I remember in the 90s when you could feed a family of 3 at Wendys for $32 dollars. Now, it is almost 50 or more for three people.

I was at McDonalds yesterday. For a 10 nugget combo with large fries and water it was almost $17.00.

Yes there is a decline in restaurant visits but I am not sure if inflation is helping any.

As well, have you seen the price of restaurants lately?

Prices have skyrocketed and what used to be an inexpensive meal has jumped. I remember in the 90s when you could feed a family of 3 at Wendys for $32 dollars. Now, it is almost 50 or more for three people.

I was at McDonalds yesterday. For a 10 nugget combo with large fries and water it was almost $17.00.

Yes there is a decline in restaurant visits but I am not sure if inflation is helping any.

Doubtless inflation within the sector is a factor, but that's a factor for every sector.

If one has $150 leftover at the end of the month, you could spend some on a meal out of your choice; if you have zero leftover, as is the case for many right now, any price is too much.

Non - Paywall version!

Toronto restaurants have witnessed a year-over-year, double-digit decline in the volume of in-person diners, according to new data from OpenTable, which suggests consumers are pulling back on discretionary spending amid the rising cost of living.

Over the first 10 days in September, the number of seated diners in the city was down 10 per cent compared to the same period last year. The latest figures from the online reservation service mark a continued decline in the popularity of in-person restaurant dining, with the volume of seated diners in Toronto now below 2022 levels for more than three consecutive months.

The statistics out of Toronto also echo trends taking hold in other parts of Canada, and comes as the association representing the country’s food service industry warns that restaurants are “teetering on the edge.”

“Our members are still very much in recovery mode,” said Tracy Macgregor, vice president of Ontario for Restaurants Canada. “The first half of 2023 started strong … but I can tell you that we’re definitely hearing that numbers are down.”

Challenges this year rival those from 2020, industry warns
In Montreal, the industry’s recovery appears to have slowed, with year-over-year growth for in-person dining stagnant at zero per cent so far this month. Meanwhile in Edmonton, restaurant attendance has been contracting since May. And overall, in Canada, the volume of in-person diners this summer has been less than the numbers recorded for the previous summer.

The OpenTable data is sourced from the platform’s State of the Industry Dashboard, which tracks online, phone and walk-in reservations from restaurants that subscribed to the service a year ago.

The industry figures come just a month after Restaurants Canada warned that the challenges the industry is facing this year rival those from 2020.
“Restaurants are resilient, but the threats they face are severe,” the report concluded. “Half of restaurants and food service companies report operating at a loss or just breaking-even as food costs continue to grow. Urgent changes are needed to help restaurant businesses survive and thrive over the months ahead.”

Consumer spending plunges as cost of living rises
A Restaurants Canada online survey of its members from July found eight in 10 restaurant companies reported lower profits in 2023 than in 2019, with rising food and operational cost compounding existing economic challenges.
“All these things are hitting at the same time that consumers are feeling the pinch as well, so it’s affecting restaurant profitability very strongly,” noted Macgregor.

The new data also aligns with other reports, which suggest consumer spending has plunged as Ontarians start to feel the pinch from rising interest rates.
A report released last month by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce showed that Ontario led the country with the biggest drop in consumer spending at 8.5 per cent month-over-month in July compared to a 3.6 per cent drop nationally.

Restaurants resilient, expert says, but tough times ahead

Last week, the Bank of Canada announced it was holding interest rates steady as the country enters a period of weaker growth.
“Economic growth slowed sharply in the second quarter of 2023, with output contracting by 0.2 per cent at an annualized rate,” the central bank said in a press release explaining its decision. “This reflected a marked weakening in consumption growth and a decline in housing activity, as well as the impact of wildfires in many regions of the country.”

Amid the slowdown, Macgregor said restaurants are still trying to attract customers back to dine in-person, with special deals and creative experiences. But many in the industry don’t expect much relief in the coming fall and winter seasons.
“We think it’ll be tight,” she said. “And there’s always this looming, ever-present threat of a potential economic downturn.”

Also the quality of service and food has dropped massively in the last couple of years. I worked 10 years in the restaurant industry. Providing quality service all around is vital for restaurants.

Last month a friend of mine was visiting form England. He was staying at the Delta downtown, so i wanted to take him out for some higher end drinks. First restaurant, we were ignored by the servers. So we left and we walked up to Royal York. We walk into the lobby blasting house music, the Royal York blasting house music is about as cool as grandpa wearing his baseball cap backwards. Again the service was atrocious! The uninterested bartender made no acknowledgement of us, as he walked back and fourth. We gave up waiting and walked out and went over to BeerTown. We were greeted right away as we sat down. It was pretty good food and service surprisingly! Don't judge a book by it's cover.

So disappointed in the Royal York. I used to go there a lot, the service was always impeccable. They treated everyone like royalty. When you're paying those prices, you should get outstanding service. Now it's a overpriced bar with Tim Hortons service.

I would add one further factor, I expect post-pandemic there was a very extreme need to get out of the house, and that effect is dissipating.
I'm not under any financial pressure and I used to spend a lot in restaurants, but I still have to work for a living and I can't afford to be disabled by a preventable illness that most people think is over but really isn't. So, no meals inside since Feb. 2020.

Also the quality of service and food has dropped massively in the last couple of years. I worked 10 years in the restaurant industry. Providing quality service all around is vital for restaurants.

Last month a friend of mine was visiting form England. He was staying at the Delta downtown, so i wanted to take him out for some higher end drinks. First restaurant, we were ignored by the servers. So we left and we walked up to Royal York. We walk into the lobby blasting house music, the Royal York blasting house music is about as cool as grandpa wearing his baseball cap backwards. Again the service was atrocious! The uninterested bartender made no acknowledgement of us, as he walked back and fourth. We gave up waiting and walked out and went over to BeerTown. We were greeted right away as we sat down. It was pretty good food and service surprisingly! Don't judge a book by it's cover.

So disappointed in the Royal York. I used to go there a lot, the service was always impeccable. They treated everyone like royalty. When you're paying those prices, you should get outstanding service. Now it's a overpriced bar with Tim Hortons service.
Why did you not try to get the server/bartender's attention?

I'm not under any financial pressure and I used to spend a lot in restaurants, but I still have to work for a living and I can't afford to be disabled by a preventable illness that most people think is over but really isn't. So, no meals inside since Feb. 2020.
There are probably not more than 5 other people in Toronto who have a blanket prohibition on eating inside, so I doubt that's driving it. I suspect the decline has very little to do with this factor, and much more to do with a combination of inflation and changed habits/commuting patterns.

There are probably not more than 5 other people in Toronto who have a blanket prohibition on eating inside, so I doubt that's driving it. I suspect the decline has very little to do with this factor, and much more to do with a combination of inflation and changed habits/commuting patterns.
Five seems a slight underestimation, but I haven't seen any poll about this, so who knows! But I do eat on patios. The last time was a couple of weeks ago at a Michelin-starred restaurant where my friend and I went to celebrate 30 years in business together. Barely-trained servers called us "guys" and brought us really overpriced and pedestrian food, including a supposedly gluten-free dessert that kept me up all night the way a gluten-containing dessert would. It has turned me off restaurants for the time being.

Five seems a slight underestimation, but I haven't seen any poll about this, so who knows! But I do eat on patios. The last time was a couple of weeks ago at a Michelin-starred restaurant where my friend and I went to celebrate 30 years in business together. Barely-trained servers called us "guys" and brought us really overpriced and pedestrian food, including a supposedly gluten-free dessert that kept me up all night the way a gluten-containing dessert would. It has turned me off restaurants for the time being.
Five was definitely hyperbole. It's probably 10 at least :)

I definitely won't deny that service standards have declined. I'm not sure if it's because of labour shortages at restaurant wages, restaurants trying to make do with fewer staff members to keep costs down, or the most experienced servers moving on to other things when the restaurants were all closed, but it's definitely worse than before.

Back