News   Jul 24, 2024
 84     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 590     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 640     1 

Ralph Lauren / Polo

Yes, back when it was still the uber-WASP store where Teddy Roosevelt kitted himself out on his way to the Spanish American War, and was the land of the $400 croquet set. The space sat empty well into the '90s.

Yes, back when it was still the uber-WASP store where Teddy Roosevelt kitted himself out on his way to the Spanish American War, and was the land of the $400 croquet set. The space sat empty well into the '90s.

I miss the old A&F stores... I think they had at least some potential the way they were. Now they're just homer-erotic.

This link has an excellent compilation of A&F concept videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-WzqfbVHU

Necro post. I just read all this A&F bashing. :)

There's a young neurosurgeon lives near me that goes for the full A&F. Worn during the commute to and from the hospital too. I wonder why A&F gets such a hard time sometimes.

My son wears their - dress - if you can call it that - shirts. The silhouette is wonderful if you have a skinny to skinny fit build. The fabrics of some would do well in the swatch book at my shirtmaker.

I had no idea Turnbull and Asser had a Toronto store. I missed that chapter entirely.:( Did they do bespoke?

-Moose

Those vintage A&F leather animal-stools are a big hit with collectors these days.

The old Dunhill store on Bay always seemed like it belonged there.

Of course, I was more of a Big Steel Man myself.

Re: RL....I feel they could boot their l'il Cdn hometown division, Club Monaco out of its present location at the Department of Household Science building, and open a truly outstanding corporate-owned-managed flagship RL store, akin to their fifth Ave Rhinelander mansion store.

It has the right image combination of platinum location/exposure and impressive Edwardian edifice. I don't see this could miss. Although it is stepping on the toes of a couple of very close and good customers (Holts, Rosens)

Those vintage A&F leather animal-stools are a big hit with collectors these days.

The old Dunhill store on Bay always seemed like it belonged there.

Of course, I was more of a Big Steel Man myself.

Re: RL....I feel they could boot their l'il Cdn hometown division, Club Monaco out of its present location at the Department of Household Science building, and open a truly outstanding corporate-owned-managed flagship RL store, akin to their fifth Ave Rhinelander mansion store.

It has the right image combination of platinum location/exposure and impressive Edwardian edifice. I don't see this could miss. Although it is stepping on the toes of a couple of very close and good customers (Holts, Rosens)

The Rhinelander mansion store is what generating excitement in your customers is all about. It's like stepping into one of Ralph's WASP otherworld/othertime ads. The store just off the miracle mile in Chicago is wonderful too. Ordinary enough building but as you say 'platinum location'. That store has all the accessories (vintage cuff links, old school vintage watches) to equip you on your way with the faux Kennedy Compound look.

I've never been in an A.F store--am I missing anything?

Re: Club Boredom on B(l)oor St West: they are being kicked out, by their landlord, aka the UofT. UofT Art Centre moves there soon--this Fall?

'Missing anything?' Their stores have blaring music, I think some sort of fragrance is released inside their stores. The Eaton Centre one sometimes has a barechested male model at the entrance. Their fashion constituency is the teen and 20s crowd. The fit is 70s - high armholes, close around the waist, wide across the shoulders. This applies to everything, Ts, coats even. Those of us round of belly and slope shouldered look awful in their garments. It's pricey - Ts at 50$ and up but they are made of material that lasts and lasts.

Mustapha: A&F station a handsome, topless doorman to greet customers? I'll have to drop by sometime! But ... ewwww ... a "fragrance"? A kid got on the 504 at Parliament the other day, drenched in cheap cologne that smelled like fly repellant. I had to move.

Nothing beats a nice custom shirt. I'm addicted. I don't recall whether T&A did them, though - my man's in the TD Centre.

Mustapha: A&F station a handsome, topless doorman to greet customers? I'll have to drop by sometime! But ... ewwww ... a "fragrance"? A kid got on the 504 at Parliament the other day, drenched in cheap cologne that smelled like fly repellant. I had to move.

Nothing beats a nice custom shirt. I'm addicted. I don't recall whether T&A did them, though - my man's in the TD Centre.

Ah, another man after my own heart.

My man's on Sherbourne. Check out the split yokes. Something for us insiders. Those shoulders must have been fiddled with for 1/2 hour to line up before being fed into the transporter on the sewing machine.:)

DSCF0103.jpg

Good lord, Mustapha, we are the little peacock, aren't we?

Mine are either plain white, or plain grey, or single-colour striped. The white shirts are mostly worn to the opera, or similar events, so have French cuffs - worn with plain black and gold cufflinks. All shirts have a covered placquet front, since buttons distract the eye when a bowtie is worn. No pocket. Very minimalist. All the usual stuff - wider cuff on the watch arm etc.

I drop by now and then to check out new cloths. Measurements are on file, and I don't change size.

I've never been in an A.F store--am I missing anything?

Re: Club Boredom on B(l)oor St West: they are being kicked out, by their landlord, aka the UofT. UofT Art Centre moves there soon--this Fall?

I wandered in to an A&F once. I was greeted by a clerk who asked "What are your plans for Spring Break?". While I'm only mid-20's, I still decided that I was a bit too old to shop there. I do see many guys older than I am wearing their stuff (as well as that from their discount cousin Hollister). It is true about the smell though. It is actually circulated into the store's HVAC system. Supposedly they sell it too. It makes me want to vomit.

As for Club Monaco, I saw a sweater in their store on Queen selling for $500! When did they start moving up to those kind of price points?

Mustapha: No, a slim watch, but custom design is about accommodating such things. The placquet front and lack of pocket keeps the look simple and tailored. All the personality is in the wearer, not in the shirt ... well, okay, in the purple hair too.

Club Monaco started increasing their price points when they got bought by Polo Ralph Lauren. I'm happy that U of T is finally reclaiming that building in which Club Monaco was located. It's a great looking building.

I'm 26, and I like A&F. I like the smell of their store (I've seen employees spraying the store with cologne). Most of the times I've walked by, they haven't had a shirtless boy. I think I've only seen them once or twice. I remember the last time I saw one he looked really shy and uncomfortable (and possibly exploited) but maybe I was just reading into it too much. He was cute though.

A&F's stuff is much cheaper in the states. I have a pair of A&F jeans I'm wearing right now which I really like. I like their polos, but after washing I find the collars irritate my neck. I'm not sure why that is. I've had dress shirts that have irritated my neck before, but not polos.

Did I read correctly that A&F used to have a store in FCP a long time ago? I thought A&F had never expanded outside of the USA prior to coming to Eaton Centre and Sherway a few years back.

Back