News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Back to our normal programming, LOL

Martin Regg Cohn of the Star has a piece on the governments legislative/legal/judicial problems.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...s-are-catching-up-to-fords-unlawful-ways.html
There's a slew of words entirely fitting in lieu of "Paternalistic". "Controlling" is apt. And completely gender neutral, as are many synonyms. "Oppressive, Archaic"...etc, etc...

On the Courts: I've been holding my punches on that subject, but I'll say this prematurely to more court wins: A number of persons are going to be in for a shock when Jurists rule *beyond the written Law* on a number of these cases. I've stated prior, and keep thinking what a mess Mulroney has gotten herself into, and at what point does Daddy become "Paternalistic" in phoning her, and saying "You've got to get out of that abusive relationship before he beats you any more".

I shouldn't, but I feel sorry for her, even though she willingly got herself into this mess. Nuff said for now. I'm astounded at how few Cdns realize the implications of Rights legislation, and the overbearing precedence they take over all other law. (It's something Canada is noted for internationally. The SCC especially has been very proactive on this, writing Law where it wasn't before, just implied)

And yes, to those who've brought up Section 33
The Notwithstanding Clause of the Charter - Library of Parliament Ontario has the power to use it. As I've stated prior: "I dare you to".

Brian will be absolutely livid. I blame it on his Paternalism...lol...Leech Make anyone? (Apologies to Meech Lake...and Senior. Brian is fully aware of the implications of Section 33.)

Edit: Best I elucidate Brian's stance:
The notwithstanding clause has long been one of the most controversial aspects of the charter. While some argue the clause is a healthy part of a Constitutional democracy, others disagree. Former prime minister Brian Mulroney once said, with it, the charter was ``not worth the paper it's written on.''
https://www.advocatedaily.com/none-...ithstanding-clause-and-how-it-came-to-be.html

Caroline has a reckoning coming...

See: https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/minutes-show-mulroney-slammed-trudeau-over-meech-lake/

Last edited:
On the Courts: I've been holding my punches on that subject, but I'll say this prematurely to more court wins: A number of persons are going to be in for a shock when Jurists rule *beyond the written Law* on a number of these cases........

I shouldn't, but I feel sorry for her, even though she willingly got herself into this mess. Nuff said for now. I'm astounded at how few Cdns realize the implications of Rights legislation, and the overbearing precedence they take over all other law. (It's something Canada is noted for internationally. The SCC especially has been very proactive on this, writing Law where it wasn't before, just implied)

When I saw this quote from the article, I thought of you immediately: " A baffled Justice Edward Belobaba asked rhetorically whether the premier had bothered to seek formal legal advice from his attorney general before interfering: “I’ll bet the answer’s no.” Government lawyers wouldn’t say."

When I saw this quote from the article, I thought of you immediately: " A baffled Justice Edward Belobaba asked rhetorically whether the premier had bothered to seek formal legal advice from his attorney general before interfering: “I’ll bet the answer’s no.” Government lawyers wouldn’t say."
Indeed. Jonathan Goldsbie had tweeted words to the effect of: 'The Gov't had never considered to run it past their lawyers to see if it passed the Charter requirements'. I can't find that tweet, I did email it to friends, so will paste it here when I find it, but meantime:
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035711095300939776?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Here we go!

https://twitter.com/cselley?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

That link was just retweeting, here's the current source:
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035600320817188865

Addendum from the latter link above:

upload_2018-9-3_21-38-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-3_21-38-24.png
    upload_2018-9-3_21-38-24.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Our AG isn’t even licensed to practice law in Ontario...

Doug Ford does another Trump-like action.

High-profile Liberal appointees removed by Ford government

See link.

The new Progressive Conservative government has axed a slew of high-profile Liberal appointees, including corrections reformer Howard Sapers, former Supreme Court justice Frank Iacobucci and ex-minister David Collenette.

Premier Doug Ford, who toppled Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals in the June 7 election, has quietly been removing people from their government patronage posts since being sworn in on June 29.

Probably to be replaced by Doug's own cronies.

They're actually building a sign?
I thought it was a rhetorical trope.

Fuck me, they really are clowns.

Yeah, I mean--really. That's it? Just a sign? Expressing a redundant message simply for the sake of a gesture that the present government can call "its own"?

Look: if you *really* want to do something, make it a thorough branding exercise. Like the Robarts-era Tories with the Trillium logo and "A Place To Stand", or New York State with the "I Love New York" campaign. Not just a billboard which *anyone* can do, like that business owner along the 400 with his pro-Ford/pro-Conservative messages...

Eh. It's posturing. It's an extraordinarily stupid person's idea of a clever attack on imagined 'enemies' (for fuck's sakes, as if Ontario wasn't open for business under the supposed leadership of Kathleen "Privatize Everything In Sight" Wynne, so it's dishonest as hell to boot), it's the typical tactics from a small-time shit artist that we've all come to expect with the Ford family, and is yet another example of Thug's notion of governing, i.e. non-stop campaigning even when one happens to be in power.

Back