News   Jul 15, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Yes, that makes moving somewhat easier as you can avoid or ,at least, reduce the bureaucratic hassles but the fact still remains that Canada is handling the covid situation FAR better than US, UK or many other European countries.

I'd rather we don't compare ourselves to the worst examples out there and pat ourselves on the back - especially now with the resurgence. What we should do is look at jurisdictions similar to ours (e.g. Australia) and see how we can do what they did.

AoD

I'd rather we don't compare ourselves to the worst examples out there and pat ourselves on the back - especially now with the resurgence. What we should do is look at jurisdictions similar to ours (e.g. Australia) and see how we can do what they did.

AoD

In all things, we should compare ourselves to the best.

The median is the point that you not fall below.

Being better than the worst is definitely insufficient grounds for contentment.

Worth saying here though, Richard was discussing moving for economic reasons, not for lower Covid risks.

Though presumably he would like to avoid higher risks.

Worth saying here though, Richard was discussing moving for economic reasons, not for lower Covid risks.

Though presumably he would like to avoid higher risks.

That was exactly it. The wages are the same where I was looking to go, cost of living lower but the quality higher.

I am not too keen on high risk but it's an option.

If I’m working at Tim’s in North Bay getting $15 and my colleague in Mississauga is getting $25, I’m not going to be happy.

If I’m working at Tim’s in North Bay getting $15 and my colleague in Mississauga is getting $25, I’m not going to be happy.

Perhaps not but think of it like this.

I can BUY a house in Terrace Bay for 80000 a year while that same house (same square footage) is 800000 in Toronto. The cost of living is alot lower in cities outside the GTA.

Nobody gets everything they want but by having a regional minimum the larger companies don't feel as much need to jack up prices.

Some geographic disparity in pay already exists and is to be expected.

But I think a difference of 67% in your example would be excessive and attract negative attention.

The examples I gave on the previous page I think were realistic based on what we see in the U.S. and in other countries.

Roughly $19 per hour province-wide, and $22.40 in the GTA.

That's a more manageable 18% difference.

In that scenario, the Rest of Ontario employee would be slightly better off than the GTA staffer.

I’ve lived in small town Northern Ontario. It’s not economic bliss. I paid a LOT more for heat and hydro than I do now because it’s freaking cold. In some remote areas, food costs more because of transportation costs.

To me, this is no different from paying males and females differently. Pay for the work being done. The job is the same whether it’s in Mississauga or Moosonee.

The avg rental price in Thunder Bay $950 in MIssissauga its $1980

I support a Regional minimum wage; and one that is significantly higher than it is; that said your proposed numbers would be the highest in the world and really are excessive.

Its important to note that housing is not the only cost of living.

Its definitely a higher portion of the cost in Toronto/GTA for sure though.

A fair weighting, on average, would probably be about 40% of household spend. (clearly for some its much higher; though that in part is a function of how low the minimum wage is today)

Once you apply a weighting you don't see Toronto as being 100% more expensive than North Bay.

It is, however, likely in the range of 30% more expensive.

The challenge then is could we fully make that up on the minimum wage?

I expect the answer is probably no.

We can make up some of the difference there.

But not all of it.

I’ve lived in small town Northern Ontario. It’s not economic bliss. I paid a LOT more for heat and hydro than I do now because it’s freaking cold. In some remote areas, food costs more because of transportation costs.

To me, this is no different from paying males and females differently. Pay for the work being done. The job is the same whether it’s in Mississauga or Moosonee.

That's not a fair analogy.

Generally speaking, one doesn't choose one's sex.

But at working age, one does choose in which community they live and work.

Also, pay is already different based on geography.

Minimum wages are very different across the provinces, U.S. States and different countries.

But beyond that, many government of Ontario workers have a COLA clause in their contract that bumps their pay if they live/work in the GTA.

At least I know a few.

Some private employers also do this.

Both median wage and median cost of living are already much higher in the GTA than in North Bay.

Ontario minimum wage is enough (only if you live in somewhere like Port Elgin or St. Thomas).
Ontario minimum wage is not enough to live in downtown Toronto comfortably.
It's time to raise the minimum wage.
I'm not sure it is enshrined in law, but most UK companies offer their workers a "London bonus" compared to the same job elsewhere.

Back