News   Jul 15, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

How about requiring all new Members of Provincial Parliament (MPPs) to take a political science test?

Or better yet, require all candidates for MPPs, councillors, mayors, trustees, etc. to take a political science test before even running for the job?
Because the Con MPPs couldn't put two and two together...(It's not in the old sex-ed curriculum)

Last edited:
Brampton business community blasts province’s decision to axe Ryerson campus funding
NEWS Oct 24, 2018 by Graeme Frisque Brampton Guardian
The Brampton Board of Trade (BBOT), which represents local businesses of all sizes, is none too pleased with the "business-friendly" Doug Ford PC government's decision to pull funding for a planned Ryerson University campus.

In a surprise announcement on Tuesday (Oct. 23), the province said it would be pulling funding for three satellite university campuses, including Brampton’s planned downtown Ryerson campus.

Provincial funding for the downtown Brampton project was approved in April by the previous Liberal administration.

Promised funding for a York University/Seneca College expansion in Markham, as well as a Wilfrid Laurier University/Conestoga College expansion in Milton also got the axe.

"The government is committed to taking action to restore trust and accountability in the province's public finances. This measure will help make government more effective and efficient, and will ensure all spending is delivering the best value for the people of Ontario," wrote Merrilee Fullerton, minister of training, colleges and universities in a release sent Oct. 23.

The government’s announcement came as a surprise to many including the BBOT, which had recently had discussions with treasury board president Peter Bethlenfalvy.

“There was no hint of this project being in jeopardy,” said BBOT president Todd Letts in a release sent Wednesday (Oct. 24). “Cancelling the Ryerson-Brampton project seems to have come out of the blue and does not inspire confidence in the government’s decision-making.”
[...]
https://www.bramptonguardian.com/ne...nce-s-decision-to-axe-ryerson-campus-funding/

Also:
Furious Reactions to Brampton's University Being Cancelled

UPDATE: PCs Vote Against Funding New Hospital in Brampton

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Don't we have a surplus of postsecondary spots in the province?

And personally, at least for Ryerson, as a grad, I thought it was a terrible plan. Ryerson has spent hundreds of millions developing its campus downtown. They've developed an identity and brand around being downtown. "Our MBA program is closest to Bay Street. Our journalism program is close to all the news orgs. Our radio and television arts program is close to all the media stations." Etc. Brampton was a poor fit for them IMO.

And I'm not sure if Ryerson was a great for for a Brampton. Even with the joint program with Sheridan. They'd have been better off with something like a York U satellite campus.

My google fu is usually pretty good......

But I couldn't come up with overall numbers any more recent than 2009.

what I saw for that year was 20,000 more applications than spots.

My impression looking at a sample of different schools would be:

There are open undergrad spots in several less popular Ontario schools such as Trent, Nippissing, Algoma and Windsor.

There are fewer total spots across ON than students, but not by a huge disparity.

However, there are substantially fewer spots in the GTA than there are applications.

So if you don't think students should be compelled to endure the costs of residence, this could be a problem

There are also too few residences to accommodate every student wishing same.

There is a profound shortage of Grad spots (Master/Phd/Professional programs) vs applicants; especially true in Medicine.

Though it should be said that ON has a surplus of teachers.

Though it should be said that ON has a surplus of teachers.
Used to have. It's swung the other way again. And many teachers are quitting.
-: Google

Premier Doug Ford urges businesses to rally behind him in fight against $15 minimum wage

From link.

Premier Doug Ford is urging Ontario businesses to rally behind him as he stares down the “forces” opposed to his rollback of workplace protections and his cancellation of a higher minimum wage.

Speaking to the Ontario Economic Summit in Niagara-on-the-Lake on Friday, Ford warned that powerful interests are trying to thwart his changes.

Guess the people who work at minimum wage are the "powerful interests".

Ontario’s economy has actually been growing for years before he toppled the Liberals in the June election and Statistics Canada reports the unemployment rate is 5.7 per cent, among the nation’s lowest in a generation.

Still, Ford said scrapping the $1 hike to the $14-an-hour minimum wage — and eliminating two paid sick days for Ontario workers as of Jan. 1 — to boost business has awakened his political foes.

“These forces are already organizing and preparing to spend a lot of money to try to stop us,” the premier said, apparently referring to labour organizations he did not name.

“We’re prepared for the fight ahead and today ... my ask of the OCC, of big and small businesses, of entrepreneurs, of skilled trades people, of colleges, of pro-job labour unions, of young people trying to get into skilled trades, is to keep it up,” the premier said.

“Keep fighting with me. You know that I’m here to fight for the little guy. I’m here to fight for that job that was previously out of reach,” he said in a partisan, campaign-style speech.

“Because, unlike the Liberals and the NDP, we believe that when business succeeds, workers succeed, families succeed (and) communities succeed.”

Also Friday, the premier said there would soon be signs at provincial border crossings declaring “Ontario is open for business.”

However instead of the “big neon signs” he touted during the election campaign, they will be standard blue highway markers erected by the Ministry of Transportation.

Green Party Leader Mike Schreiner said “the election is over — there is no need for these goofy road signs.”

“It’s time to govern,” said Schreiner, noting “cancelling the ($15) minimum wage and eliminating paid sick days will make life less affordable for people.”

There are open undergrad spots in several less popular Ontario schools such as Trent, Nippissing, Algoma and Windsor.

That has always struck me as curious. Certainly in terms of general arts programs, is the motivation to get a post secondary education or a degree from a particularly institution that may have a higher status? In terms of average entering grades, these place are also some the easiest to get into. Whatever happened to 'going off' to university? Financial incentives and supports have probably never been higher, with the possible exception of returning vets after the wars.

In terms of grad slots, at least in terms of medicine, the government has a lot of influence on those numbers. I don't know about the other fields.

I wonder about the demand vs. vacancies in community colleges and trade school. Many of the construction trades are either screaming for people or soon will be.

That has always struck me as curious. Certainly in terms of general arts programs, is the motivation to get a post secondary education or a degree from a particularly institution that may have a higher status? In terms of average entering grades, these place are also some the easiest to get into. Whatever happened to 'going off' to university? Financial incentives and supports have probably never been higher, with the possible exception of returning vets after the wars.

In terms of grad slots, at least in terms of medicine, the government has a lot of influence on those numbers. I don't know about the other fields.

I wonder about the demand vs. vacancies in community colleges and trade school. Many of the construction trades are either screaming for people or soon will be.

I think a lot of the issue is cost, residence and meal plans are not cheap, living away from home inflates the bill by $10,000 or more (that's based on a double room, not private which would be more) .

Aside from that, bigger institutions are simply better known, closer to family in many cases, your more likely to know someone that went there, they do tend to have more cache and more amenities and greater breadth of programs as well.

But I think cost is the single biggest factor by far.

Given current OSAP for undergrads; your tuition for undergrad at U of T as a commuter student would be about $500 per year. (after OSAP grants)

But go to Nippissing and your cost is $500 + $10,000 or more, plus the cost of the bus back to family for holidays and such. Strong incentive to stay close to home.

^It is a *huge* cost saving and an advantage for many to be able to still live at 'Mom and Pop's' and attend Uni/College. It must be remembered that many of the courses being offered by these Uni/Community College Combos are more practical in nature than what's taught at the main campus.

I dont buy that each party has a lock on smart and stupid voters and frankly find it is a very demeaning argument to have.

Like many people who voted For Trudeau did so because of pot, his rock star personality and his last name and wanted Harper out.

In the end, the success of many politicians is not based on complex policy but frankly on simple promises, desire for change and personality.

Ford Had simple promises, people hated Wynne and Fords "flawed" personality appeals to a certain section of voters.

I find calling each other stupid will just lead us to the tribalism that exists in the USA and I ask you guys, you really want that in Canada lol?

I think a lot of the issue is cost, residence and meal plans are not cheap, living away from home inflates the bill by $10,000 or more (that's based on a double room, not private which would be more) .

Aside from that, bigger institutions are simply better known, closer to family in many cases, your more likely to know someone that went there, they do tend to have more cache and more amenities and greater breadth of programs as well.

But I think cost is the single biggest factor by far.

Given current OSAP for undergrads; your tuition for undergrad at U of T as a commuter student would be about $500 per year. (after OSAP grants)

But go to Nippissing and your cost is $500 + $10,000 or more, plus the cost of the bus back to family for holidays and such. Strong incentive to stay close to home.

That's a good estimate.

According to a Maclean's survey, the total average cost for a University student living away from home was nearly $20,000 a year (including tutition).

That $40,000 in savings over the course of a degree is huge.

Going away to University was much more of a possibility 40 years ago when tuition fees were incredibly low, along with a much lower cost of living.

This is especially telling:
Ontario requires the greatest amount of minimum-wage work to pay tuition, going from 260 hours in 1975 to 708 hours four decades later.
The Globe and Mail hosted a really self-serving mean spirited and misleading opinion piece today:
It is full of misinformation, some of it shockingly so considering who wrote it. It will be rebuffed by others featured in the Globe the next few days.
Doug Ford was right to cancel funding for new university campuses LEO GROARKE

One of the most glaring inaccuracies is the intimation that Ontario is fully funding these institutions. It isn't, far from it, but the amount is still crucial, especially in light of PCs themselves campaigning that the funding was definitely committed, and would continue to be so. Many of the courses were to be unique ones with a pressing need for them, something else Groarke misses.

Thing is, we're not cutting back at those schools to free up funds at schools we want to fund.

There are fewer total spots across ON than students, but not by a huge disparity.

Which is why this it the rare policy I actually agree with Ford on. I think these campuses were part of an outdated postsecondary education policy from the previous government that requires some rethink. Now, whether Ford will actually follow through and do a thorough review is another matter.

We really need to have a serious conversation on what the goals of our postsecondary sector should be, what kinds of graduates they are producing and what skills we expect them to have. At present, I feel like our system is rather schizophrenic. On one hand we pump out hundreds of thousands of BAs and BScs whose degrees are worth about the same as a high school diploma from a generation ago, all under the guise of the idea that educated citizens are good for society and the economy. And on the other hand, we're constantly talking about how we need to send more students to community college and trades for practical programs, while not actually making a serious effort to divert substantial proportions of students to these alternatives.

It's not just the system itself. We need to talk about infrastructure. For example, the Brampton and Milton campuses at 2000 students each were closer in size to an American sized high school. That Laurier-Conestoga tie up in Milton was the most amorphous. Sounded even less like it was about education than it was about development for Milton with the Milton Education Village. These proposals would have drawn resources from the existing campuses while offering limited programs. Is it really worthwhile to draw resources from two existing institutions when both of those are commutable from the community in question? For example, Ryerson has a fantastic IT and Comp Sci program at the downtown campus. And wants to build a national cybersecurity studies centre in Brampton. I question the value of splitting resources like this. Seriously, of all places to put a national centre for cybersecurity...why Brampton?

The York Markham campus was a far more sound offering. They were going to offer 20 programs and at over 4000 students would be much closer to real university campus. And they have pledged to go ahead with their plans. Aside from the fact that York has strong ties with industry in York Region and is actually leveraging off that.

However, there are substantially fewer spots in the GTA than there are applications.

The question is why build a new campus. Why not expand offerings at existing campuses? And ultimately, some of these new campuses were to have limited program offerings, so the argument that students wouldn't have to commute as much is bunk. Especially on the return for the student. Do you really get a good education avoiding an hour commute while losing access to the whole breadth of courses and instructors the main campus offers?

There is a profound shortage of Grad spots (Master/Phd/Professional programs) vs applicants;

Indeed. But even the previous government didn't want to touch this one. Because apparently development was a higher priority than education for the postsecondary capital investments, looking at some of these proposals.

Ultimately, it's not the number of grads that matter, but the the quality of them. In the information age, 1 highly skilled programmer is worth 10 mediocre coders. Ignoring this reality is not going to serve us economically in the long run. We need to produce not just a decent number of grads, but we need to deploy resources to produce the right type and quality of graduates. Saving a handful of students time on commuting to offer them more limited programs, does not, prima facie, seem the best direction to go.

Do I think Ford is going to deliver great things on postsecondary education? Heck, no. But I'm okay with deferring some spending so that we can talk about in 4 years when there's a government willing to actually take conduct a proper, comprehensive review of the system.

Last edited:

That's a good estimate.

According to a Maclean's survey, the total average cost for a University student living away from home was nearly $20,000 a year (including tutition).

That $40,000 in savings over the course of a degree is huge.

Going away to University was much more of a possibility 40 years ago when tuition fees were incredibly low, along with a much lower cost of living.

True. It costs a lot to go to university/college away from home. But that's not what we are talking about here. We're talking about building campuses in the GTA, to extend programs from the existing campuses to these satellite locations. In effect, this was mostly about spending $300+ million to save some students commuting time and to spur on development in these communities apparently.

York is going ahead:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...sh-ahead-with-markham-campus-despite-funding/

So good chance the other two might. And if that happens, it's sort of a win for the provincial conservatives anyway. These will get built without them having pitched in much. Heck, maybe the feds will pick up the tab. Somebody should check out how close the federal ridings are in the area.

Last edited:
True. It costs a lot to go to university/college away from home. But that's not what we are talking about here.

That was in reply to another poster, who was wondering why more students don't travel to institutions further afield.

We're talking about building campuses in the GTA, to extend programs from the existing campuses to these satellite locations. In effect, this was mostly about spending $300+ million to save some students commuting time and to spur on development in these communities apparently.

Partially true.

I think if we accept that there is a justification for more total undergrad spaces in the GTA, then its a question of how to accommodate that.

Certainly York has ample room for growth on its main campus. U of T, St. George is maxed out, literally, and in fact U of T is considering reducing undergrad capacity at St. George to make room for more Grad programs.

Ryerson still has a bit more room to play with, given they are considering a tear-down of Kerr hall, adding at least one tower as part of that, plus the new space in YSL.

But that leaves the 2 suburban U of T campuses, with Mississauga also not far from total build out.

How much GTA growth is required? I'd wager we're about 10000 undergrad spots short, as it stands.

I think new campuses are a fair consideration. Though I completely agree that Milton/Laurier does not make sense.

Mind you, I might make a serious argument about relocating both of the U of T suburban campuses instead as I think both are very poorly situated, alternate sites might be better way to improve access and expand capacity.

Back